Science and Technology : Black Nerds Rising

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by twashing, Nov 22, 2007.

1. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I was watching the below lady's video about being a Black Nerd and I thought it was pretty funny. I identify with nerdiness, thinking about and over analysing pretty much everything. So I went to some of the links she mentioned and found a few interesting people. Ok, I have "Double Dribble" from when I was a kid. And I posted something about "Chocolate Rain" some months ago. But the fellow at Black Nerd Comedy is talking about all of that stuff. I had one of those big laugh out loud moments watching his video. Been at an amazing techno party and looked around to realise you were the only brother there? - got the t-shirt.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=102988527
    http://www.blacknerdcomedy.com

The Black Nerd's Lament"
    The Rise of the Black Nerd

2. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    http://www.blacknerdcomedy.com

I checked out this site here

From the video

I am asking myself a 'black' nerd is no different from a 'white' nerd and the VIDEO GAMES and SUCH are COMMON to all PEOPLE.

If BLACK NERD is REFINED FORM of POP CULTURE maybe a NERD in GENERAL is bought and sold like any IMAGE in SOCIETY.

A NERD is a CONSUMER and perhaps as HEAVY as the HEAVY WEIGHTS.

I think its funny how sometime we or SOMEONE other than BLACK compare ourselves to so called WHITE NERDS like 'BLACK' BILL GATES.

But that just ME and my SILLY OBSERVATION.

Oh well.

3. twashing

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with your sociological points, but technology is all around us and can't be ignored. It's like the French constantly trying to guard against the constant information that the internet brings because most of it is in English. They can't stop it and neither can we.

A Black nerd doesn't bother just like a White rapper doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with using technology to advance to goals of Pan-Africanism, industrial and information advancement and Black ownership here and on the continent.

4. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Ownership means there is a DISTINCTION being made.

Race as in 'black' and 'white' is a distinction.

One of many dividing lines of TECHNOLOGY. But the TECHNOLOGY here is CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY.

As long as I have the TIME I can afford to SIT and ENJOYS its uses, I have to be a better consumer. That means I need to spend TIME figuring that OUT. As you know some people will KILL for a NINTENDO Wii.

Ask any BROTHER or SISTER in the so call HOOD or even SUBURBIA is it ADVISABLE to TELL the WORLD you have one? When it's hot in DEMAND?

I agree with you in terms of TECHNOLOGY cannot be IGNORED but CULTURAL ASPECTS seem to be the main TRANSMISSION of this particular set which is HIP HOP music.

Even though HIP HOP MUSIC may just be a MARKETING PLOY of TECHNOLOGY CONSUMER CULTURE...to buy a NINTENDO Wii not to SAVE a AFRICAN BROTHER and SISTER.

HIP HOP MUSIC CREATION and DISTRIBUTION is the TECHNOLOGY that MANY YOUTHS use to BARTER into CONSUMER CULTURE to a GREAT DEGREE.

Technology seems to CONSUME the WORST of HIP HOP LYRICS and TWIST MUSIC in GENERAL to the OWNERS DELIGHT.

And because of that, many SOCIAL and INDUSTRIAL INNOVATION that can advance PAN AFRICANISM and any other CAUSE go to the wayside.

CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY has shaped the CULTURE...even this NERD CULTURE.

SO far, it carries EUROPEAN (AMERICAN CONSUMER) GLOBAL POLITICS with it.

Hey I want to ask have you seen this 60 minutes SPECIAL

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/36/get_me_the_geeks

I dont think any NERD whether they are BLACK or WHITE or ANY has the patience to tend to an ANGRY CONSUMER who bought JUNK because TECHNOLOGY is DUMPING CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS without ANY SUPPORT or COMMITMENT.

In the TECH SUPPORT ARENA VIDEO...

Many look like they want to CRY. But they will be CRYING ALONE. Becuase TECHNOLOGY in this case comes with a PRICE.

But there is a BUSINESS being made even if FEELINGS will become NUMB in the PROCESS.

I work in the COMMUNITY and there are STACKS of COMPUTERS in the BACK CLOSET while the YOUTHS are interested in GETTING a GOOD BEAT and LYRIC.

I know who will be SMILING and who will be SCREAMING when its SAID and DONE.

I can tell you the difference, between a BLACK technical engineer, WHITE technical engineer, TAIWANESE technical engineer, and JAPANESE technical engineer.

I worked in such an environment and that ENVIRONMENT is OVERSEAS, not even in AMERICA and the POLITICS and SOCIAL are VERY DIFFERENT.

And the EUROPEANS and AMERICANS complain because the PAY is no way near what they GET back HOME and they WORK LONGER HOURS.

I see why we are GOOD at CONSUMING.

I am in the same league as a NERD and NO DIFFERENT.

But I talk JUNK anyway...

Oh well.

5. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well I just Liked the Video......... :huh:

Oh and Yes they are rising...
    because I Plan to be 1 of them

Well at least cheer em on....:(

6. FaithSoulSistah

FaithSoulSistah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, I gotta admit I liked the "Chocolate Rain" parody and the "Buy Mii a Wii" video on the black nerd comedy site. LOL.

7. twashing

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Dustyelbow,

Yes, you definitely need the time to enjoy all of these technological toys. In fact it's a modern paradox that with all of the industrial and information "progress" made (airplanes, consumer products, internet, etc), the average American has less free time and less income since the 1950s I think it is.

With regards to destructive Black stereotypes being transmitted via technology, I think there's more of a structural dynamic happening - in terms of race and class. I don't think hip hop is a marketing ploy per se, anymore than rock and roll is a marketing ploy. Both started as black music in the U.S. and and both were channels by which disaffected peoples could express themselves and come together. But they were also both commoditized by corporate, market forces.

I think the destructive (gangster, pimp, etc) images that are portrayed as Black culture is emphasized more today in corporate controlled music than it was say when Parliament, or KRS-One were coming out. Then, there was more control by independent labels and artists. When hip hop became a viable market to White audiences, I noticed much more "******* & hoes" imagery coming out on MTV. That's as not controversial as when Eminem is seen to be doing something bad. Then the FCC and middle America get outraged. So the coon and sambo roles are still played out culturally in "the white" press. Just as how Elvis was very controversial for his time, even though his music was coming from Black music that had been around for a long time. But there was no general outrage for that music.

So hip hop isn't bad. But the social and class dynamics in play are definitely oppresive - i.e. Black people still don't control information and industrial networks. And likewise, I'm not concerned that the term nerd was formed in a White technocratic environment. I more concerned with using technology to advance free, human social principles. Technology isn't consuming the worst in hip hop, geek culture, etc. Existing social and class structures take the best and worst from the cultures.

Thanks for the 60 minutes clip. I'll take a look at that.

8. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Twashing,

I am concern about the children...

I see what is written on their tiny hearts...brothers and sisters (OLD and ADULT) are just too much using hip hop as an excuse to bad behavior...

I say it because HIP HOP is controlled by RUTHLESS WHITE like you MENTIONED

BLACK PEOPLE did not give up ROCK N ROLL but RUTHLESS WHITE TRANSFORMED IT INTO WHAT HE DELIGHTED IN.

He took CONTROL and BEWITCHED US...

And whites (MASSES) fitted QUITE WELL into a BLACK CREATION.

Thanks to their PARENTS, BLACK PEOPLE had to find other FORMS of EXPRESSION.

PLUS MASS MARKET is not as BIG as it is NOW. The GLOBE at your FINGERTIPS is REALER today than its EVER BEEN.

The BEATLES (WHITE) are able to take ROCK N ROLL to the end of the GLOBE as a FORM of POLITICAL ACTION or DOMINANCE.

NO ONE BLACK PERSON was ABLE to DO THAT.

ROCK N ROLL initially was for a COMMUNITY not a WORLD.

RUTHLESS WHITE made it into a GLOBAL SUCCESS.

Same with HIP HOP it was meant for a COMMUNITY not the NATION and definitely not the WORLD.

My problem with HIP HOP is that they have not FIGURED it OUT.

I speak to BROTHERS and SISTERS that say HIP HOP AINT what it was LIKE BEFORE.

Today's YOUTH cannot RELATE to what its LIKE BEFORE and GO WITH THE NOW. And I see these SAME BROTHERS and SISTER able to HUDDLE BACK to their OLD MUSIC while PRACTICING this NEW MUSIC in ONE BREATH.

ALL under the POWER of RUTHLESS WHITE.

And its FITTING the TASTE BUDS AGAIN of WHITES (MASSES) who seem to make the FIT.

So what's it going to be PLAYING MUSIC that YOUTHS are no longer interested in coming from a OLD 'PLAYED OUT' BROTHER and SISTER.

The YOUTH see how YOU REALLY ARE...

For me that WASTING TIME...WASTING YOUNG BLACK MINDS and HEARTS...CURRENT HIP HOP ARTIST are NOT TELLING US the TRUTH of what's GOING ON.

I checked out HIP HOP overseas and it is POLITICAL and in ANOTHER LANGUAGE or ACCENT.

MANY NATION HIP HOPPERS are NOT HEARING IT.

Now who is IGNORANT.

And those SAME OVERSEAS HIP HOPPERS get disappointed that AMERICAN HIP HOP artist are NOT DOWN with the CAUSE.

So what's it GOING to BE...

Is hip hop ready to START OVER....

With VALUES that ENCOURAGE YOUTHS to LISTEN to PARENTS, to stop the DRUGS and VIOLENCE in the COMMUNITY, TAKE DOWN RUTHLESS WHITE, ETC

I think NOT...

I am not TALKING JUST HIP HOP but the WORLD in GENERAL. They have their MUSIC. It's for their COMMUNITY. It REFLECTS their VALUES.

I just think its PREMATURE to say MUSIC is UNIVERSAL....

Being a DELUXE CONSUMER is not ON MY MIND and THAT IS WHY THE NATION is in the SAHPE it is IN.

I want to SEE WHO CAN FIGURE THIS OUT....

No one SO FAR...

I read a STUDY in which 2nd GENERATION IMMIGRANTS are MAKING LESS STRIDES then 1st GENERATION.

Their FATHERS and MOTHERS are EATING UP EVERYTHING leaving the NEXT GENERATION in BAD SHAPE...

It looks like the NATION is REACHING a PROVERBIAL GLASS CIELING. EACH GENERATION getting WEAK.

Oh well.

There is a SOLUTION but PEOPLE dont want IT.

9. twashing

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Dustyelbow, I hear where you're coming from. But at the end of the day we have to look to ourselves for strength and redemption.

Coming together - how important is that. Yes the man has taken control of media and information systems. But technology and society, Western and global, have changed since colonialism, the advent of the radio, moving picture, etc. There's nothing stopping Black people right now from forming their own news and information networks if we are socially cohesive enough. Coming together. That's probably the hardest thing to do. How well do we really understand and accpet and work with each other? I don't really know you or many people on this site, yet I still know where you're coming from. Why is that? We're both Black and we both share the same social, historical and identity dynamics, and a lot more. You know Hip Hop or Jazz or Reggae or the Harlem renaissance or any of these Black art forms didn't happen along a planned path. People just started creating and sharing their work and the art forms naturally grew into what they were. I think we just need to be happy and industrious together. That includes allowing the freedom to create share and discuss anything with each other and everyone else. And we have to have openness and acceptance of different perspectives, styles, viewpoints.

I think that will make us as a collective strong and present kids with alternative perspectives, avoiding negative media stereotypes. Incidentally there's a looot of really good conscious and revolutionary hip hop happening in the streets, but a lot of it isn't being aired on corporate channels. Things like African hip hop for social change doesn't fit a coprate image. That's where our own media networks would come in handy (I can't find the link on me now!!).

10. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Your right, at the END we will have to LOOK AT EACH OTHER.

But when we do we are ASHAMED when we should be REJOICING.

Look I may sound HARD but I want the BEST for US. SO far we are almost to the POINT of CLOSING the DOORS on OURSELVES when it should be US FREEING others even RUTHLESS WHITE and this NATION.

During my research those considered "GENIUSES" of our ENSLAVED ANCESTORS when JAZZ came on the SCENE knew it would SLOW our PROGRESS DOWN in a GROUP.

Jazz certainly help RUTHLESS WHITE in more ways than ONE but we were STILL in the DITCH. We abandon our OWN INSTRUMENT for EUROPEAN MADE ONES. In the process, we certainly helped the WORLD but not ourselves as a COMMUNITY.

I can BOAST "WE" made JAZZ for the WORLD but at the SAME TIME be a A+ CONSUMER....

I think NOT...

SEEING that HISTORY appears to REPEAT the SAME THING is happening TODAY. With HIP HOP. Looking at the OLD TURNTABLE being replaced by EUROPEAN and ASIAN TAYLORED ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS, we are BACK to where we STARTED.

I just dont want to START OVER and I dont want to see YOUNG PEOPLE be bitter towards their PARENTS because the PARENTS LACK to CHECK their own BEHAVIOR.

We are in a GENERATIONAL BREAKDOWN and if no GUIDANCE is GIVEN, we are FINISHED.

I have a THREAD ENTITLED TEAMWORK

How a JAPANESE ENGINEER views LIFE in AMERICA.

Being INNOVATIVE as an AMERICAN is well and good but if BLACK PEOPLE are on the MARGINS we will not be INNOVATING more like TRYING to SURVIVE.

That's like ONE out of HUNDRED THOUSAND is INNOVATIVE but it will not HELP US with a HUGE SOCIAL ECONOMIC PROBLEM PLAGUEING the NATION.

As you can see Japan is NUMBER 2 RANKED ECONOMY in the WORLD. Even RANKED HIGHER than European Union.

I have plenty of STORIES I can tell but I won't. Because I am interested in US getting US out of a NATION SITUATION.

If not then PART of the BLAME will be on US.

And you know how we love to BLAME....

"They" are BLAMING BLACK PEOPLE for those BAD LOANS and FORECLOSURE.

No HIP HOP will be CONVINCING ENOUGH to CHANGE that BLAME...

Those BLAMES MIGHT as WELL BE REAL BULLETS.

Oh well.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black nerds forum