Black People : Black models and Trya Banks

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Astrologer4U, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just watched a Tyra Banks show which I don't normally do. I don't get her... she brags about being a black model, yet, although she is running her self these days and supposedly white people aren't anymore, she is still running around looking white as heck.

Anyone remember on her show when she basically told a sista that she was to dark...had the sista returning to her room applying bleaching creams to her skin...

I'm trying to find that video on Youtube but can't for some reason...

She even talked about how a black woman has to model in a way that appeals to white people yet she praises the modeling industry by continuing her white look and praising the black women models have embraced the white looking look.

On her show today, she had a slew of black models, about 10 or 12 of them, she was talking about how Beverly Johnson...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

was the first black model on Vogue magazine and Veronica Webb...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

was the first black model to get a cosmetic contract. Here is the thing though, these women started out in the business with a dark complexion that let you know they was black, but now if you see these women, their faces are really light as if they have bleached.

I was at the mall the other day and I was playing around with my daughter and we decided to let this lady trying to sell makeup, make up my face. I specifically told the woman I was only interested in trying out some eye shadow color and lipstick... However, the woman proceeded putting this stuff on my face that she said would close up my pores. When she put the stuff on, my pores did look closed by my skin was like 2 shades lighter. I said to her "hey, my pores are closed like you said but now my skin looks much lighter" The lady says to me, "that's because you need to put on the foundation now" I was like excuse me lady, I like my color and I ain't trying to change it. When I told my daughter to look at my face and tell me what she thinks she was like "oooh mommy, not ah, that looks like the stuff Monique is probably wearing" Monique meaning Monique the comedian. When me and my daughter went to see the movie "Precious" we noticed that Moniques skin was really white looking in that movie.

Old Monique
    [​IMG]

Monique in Precious
    [​IMG]

New Monique
    [​IMG]

I guess Tyras intentions are good or is she just trying to sell a show? Honoring black models who look white is a big joke. Wow, first black woman to get a cosmetic contract and first black woman on Vogue, wow!!! Don't she realizes they let people like her into he industry every now and then to keep black people buying their goods??? Every time black folks become a little conscious, the modeling industry comes along and gives a black woman a gig in order to put blacks folks right back to sleep. Next thing you know, the black woman who got the gig, her skin is looking white a few years later.

Astrologer4U

2. wetac0s

wetac0s Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +272
    I've watched tyra a few time while skimming channels. It seems like a lot of the topics on her show are preying on the insecurities of minorities.

3. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    I really don't think any of these women have lightened their skin. Not to say that it doesn't happen in Hollywood, but understand that a lot of factors go into what someone's complexion looks like in a picture. The type of lighting they're in makes a big difference. Are they in daylight? Flourescent light? Studio lights? Are they in a shadow? Do they look darker in some pictures because they've been in the sun? (I know I always get darker in the summertime). Besides, anyone with a basic knowledge of Photoshop can easily alter a person's complexion. The media does this all the time. Remember that whole controversy over Time magazine's darkened O.J. photo?

Now Sammy Sosa on the other hand...talk about a hot mess.

As far as black models go, even when they do have a black model with dark skin, big nose, and big lips (Alek Wek), black people always want to debate over whether or not they're attractive. Whereas Tyra's beauty is rarely questioned. So are we the problem or the fashion industry?

4. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    Astrologer4U[/QUOTE]
    I just watched a Tyra Banks show which I don't normally do. I don't get her... she brags about being a black model, yet, although she is running her self these days and supposedly white people aren't anymore, she is still running around looking white as heck.

Anyone remember on her show when she basically told a sista that she was to dark...had the sista returning to her room applying bleaching creams to her skin...

I'm trying to find that video on Youtube but can't for some reason...
    Astrologer4U[/QUOTE]

yeah find it, I'd have to see that to believe it.
    Tyra speaks the truth, she admits it's not fair but that's the way it is in that industry. If you want to be a successful model you will have to appeal to white fashion designers.

5. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    I think you're on to something. Tyra appears to have had a number of cosmetic procedures through the years - breast implants, nose jobs and, perhaps, a brow lift, among them. With her changing features and addiction to Euro-textured hair weaves and wigs, she is doing the image of black beauty no favors. And neither are Veronica Webb or Beverly Johnson with their ho-hum, Euro-palatable looks.

After all, how can we expect a white-governed fashion industry to put real visages of black lovliness front and center. The black and brown archetypes permitted entree into the world are generally representations of mainstream attributes wrapped in non-pallid flesh.

6. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

I don't know why would you find it hard to believe that Tyra had a dark skin sista going back to her room applying bleaching cremes to her skin when you said it yourself... "Tyra speaks the truth, she admits it's not fair but that's the way it is in that industry. If you want to be a successful model you will have to appeal to white fashion designers."

I'm gonna find that video though. It was on one of Tyras earliest shows of "Top Model" a real dark skin sista was told not only told by Tyra but everyone on the panel... she was told in so many subtle ways that her skin was not good enough, that it was to much this or to much of that.

Astrologer4U

7. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Tyra is real self rightous, a show off and to me, she is really fake but she tries to pretend that she is real. Yes from the looks of it, she appears to have definately had a nose job.

[​IMG]

Astrologer4U

8. KMTSista

KMTSista Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +259

WHOA!!!!!!!!!

9. KMTSista

KMTSista Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +259
    If anyone in Hollywood ro show business period has self esteem issues is Vivica Fox and Lil Kim.

There was nothing wrong with the way they look before, now they both look like clowns with helium

10. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843

Greetings Creative Girl...

Good points and Great question here. I'd venture to say...BOTH /AND in response!
    We KNOW the 'industry' is in the business of promoting and supporting the faulty belief that 'white is/are supreme AND We have been programmed into that faulty belief shystem.

M.E.
    :hearts2: