Black Relationships : Black men with sisters (siblings) or daughters

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by NNQueen, May 10, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I'm wondering how many men here have sisters or daughters and are they old enough to date and/or marry? Are their dating/mating/marrying experiences much different than women who have shared their challenges here? If they have similar stories about having difficulty finding Black men to date/mate/marry, what advice, if any, do you give to them?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I have a sister , and to my knowledge she never had a problem
    finding a good black caring man , she been with this same man for 19 years
    and been married to him for 17 of them years , her choice in picking her mate
    i don't believe she had any difficulty doing so.

My daughter and grand daughter are too young , but i'm sure from the kind of
    upbringing they get will help guide them to make good wholesome choices in
    finding a mate and good brother to share there lives with , my daughter as she
    grow will learn a lot from how i bring my son up and help mold him to be a good
    strong working and lovin man , let her see what kind of man i am as a role model
    to her picking of a mate , i'm sure she will have no problem finding a good black man.

I can't provide much more then this .

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    My sister is 23 years old and has already made some of the same choices many sisters here and in society have made already..She has a child out of wedlock, didn't finish college, has a questionable relationship with the father of her child, etc...I have talked to her until I'm blue in the face but she chooses to go the scenic route though life and not listen to what people have to say...What I do is say my peace and leave it alone...She recently has started confiding in me more after she saw that I was right about many things I told her...I try not to lecture her to much because it really does not do any good...I am trying to convince my mom and grandma to do the same...She is at war with my mom right now but they still love each other...First and foremost I love my sister too...

Peace....

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I have a younger sister who is twice married and has two girls with her second husband. My sister is my best friend and we talk oon a regular basis even since i moved to texas.

I have a 20 year old daughter who is finishing her 3rd year of college. As far as I know she is not dating on a regular basis and has decided not to get involved until after finishing college and getting her law degree. She tells me that the guys in her age group dont interest her right now and has decided to wait until her career goals have been achieved. Since I myself had girlfriends starting at age 13 but was not sexually active until 24 I understand how she feels because I myself "waited" to have sex and even then I probably should have waited longer...

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    My Sister

Is happily married for over 15 years now. She was raised old school. She cooks, cleans and gets his paycheck when he comes home. She works too btw. She never had problems dating, ( except her Mookie episode ) thru th years either. Proverbs 31 works :welldone:

:coffee:

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I have a niece, by way of my half-sister......

Because of the issues between my half-sister and I, I haven't had much contact with my niece(s) over the past few years......But my oldest niece seemed to have been going down the same road as her mother: making bad choices in men, having a baby out of wedlock, etc.

However, she seems to have divorced herself from her mother's madness (no pun; my half-sister is dealing with manic depression); my niece is now engaged to, what I have heard, is a nice young Black man, and they are both striving to finish college before they get married.

All my cousins on my maternal Caribbean side, never seem to have the issues with men, that I see many AA women having. And whenever they do, the "Sisterhood" intervenes and helps to "straighten out" the issues.

PEACE

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    My cousin

Is happily married. Top lawyer. ( partner ) Raised old school. Cooks, works, cleans. As I said before, Proverbs 31 works

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is a very significant thread, which I unfortunately can't add that much to. My family is dominated by males, I have no sisters, and though I have a daughter and neices none of them are old enough to date. However like brother Rich I'm positive that the upbringing and values my daughter and nieces are receiving will help them make positive choices about their social behavior. As a result I don't envision them having a problem finding a good black man (especially in the case of my daughter who will not be limited to just meeting black men from the US).

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    bot

10. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thumbs up to you!

You said a lot, and I especially love what you said about your son and being a role model for your daughter!