Black Men & Their Children

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
I know in the African American community the overwhelming majority of children are supposed to be raised without their father's involvement. I know this because the "statistics" say so. I know because I have heard countless "stories" of African Americans growing up without their fathers. Yet despite all of these reports & accounts...I continue to see African American fathers with their children on a daily basis.

I just got back from the store where I noticed a number of black men with their children. I was eating at Taco Bell with Mrs. PanAfrica, where once again I spotted a black man with his children. In some case these men are with the mothers as well, at other times they are with their children alone. However when ever I notice a black man with his children, I take note. I do this so often I wonder why I continue (as I said, I see them every day)? However even as I ask the question, I know the answer: I take note of the number of black men with their children, because black men aren't suppose to be with their children.

This is the stereotype of black men, and with each passing day, I am seeing it as just a stereotype. Indeed I believe that instead of taking mental notes, I am going to start taking pictures. Then the next time I see a news report about the lack of black male involvement in their children's lives, I can send them my portfolio as a rebuttal! I think I'll start with my family

Yeah.....the news does not take into account that a father can live in a different home from his kids and still be in their lives....also, it would not be "news worthy" to show the good situations where fathers (whether married to the mother or not) are doing what they are supposed to.

Absolutely MrBlak:

The stats on out of wedlock births in the African American community (upwards of 70% according to some sources) automatically assumes no involvement of the father. The news reports on these stats imply the same. However my eyes suggest differently!

Pan when my children were small, and their dad used to take them places, he would tell me how he was the only black dad, or one of a few. I noticed the same. But nowadays I do notice many more. By the same token, now I notice more fathers of other races as well. Perhaps there are more men in general taking their children on outings, etc. than there used to be, regardless of race....I know that I often went places with my dad so, those so called statistics never applied to me.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back