Black Men : Black Men Standing with Ali

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by oldsoul, Oct 2, 2014.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    [​IMG]
    Muhammad Ali was on the ropes for refusing induction into the Army, and Jim Brown wanted to help. But first, the NFL great wanted to hear the boxing champion’s reasons for not answering the call to military service during the Vietnam War. So Brown led a group of prominent Black athletes who hit Ali with a flurry of questions during a two-hour meeting in Cleveland in June 1967. Ali didn’t duck the questions and stuck to his principles, citing his religious beliefs in refusing to join the military. The dozen athletes, including Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, emerged from the meeting to publicly support Ali at a time when the champ was one of the country’s most polarizing figures.
    [​IMG]
    ...Ali was stripped of his world heavyweight boxing title in 1967 while in his prime and was convicted of draft evasion. Ali found himself embroiled in a long legal fight that ended in 1971, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in his favor.
    ...“It was the United States government that we were dealing with,” Brown said Saturday. “Careers were at stake. And everybody that showed up at that meeting put all of that on the line. That was heavyweight stuff.”
    [​IMG]
    (Jim Brown, left, and Bill Russell, right, stand behind Muhammad Ali before the Ali Humanitarian Awards ceremony Saturday, Sept. 27, 2014, in Louisville, Ky. The two were participants of the Ali Summit in 1967, and Brown is in Louisville to receive the the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Lifetime Achievement Award.)(AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley)
    ...Nearly 50 years after the meeting, now known as the “Ali Summit,” Brown and Russell prepared to be at Ali’s side again Saturday night in the boxing champ’s hometown. Brown was receiving a lifetime humanitarian achievement award bearing Ali’s name.
    [​IMG]
    (Back Row, from left, John Wooten, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, and Bobby Mitchell stand behind Muhammad Ali before the start of the Ali Humanitarian Awards ceremony Saturday, Sept. 27, 2014 at the Louisville Mariott Downtown in Louisville, Ky. The four were participants of the ‘Ali Summit’ in 1967, and Brown will be receiving the Ali Humanitarian Lifetime Achievement Award.) (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley)

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    A question I also need and want your answer(s) to:

What is your feelings/thoughts/etc. on the last attempt at a black mass movement, aka the first MILLION MAN MARCH, i. e., whereas so much was expected, though so little seemed to come after it?

And thanks in advance...

FYI

3. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    We need those kind of brothers back, who were the brothers who stood beside you when the white establishment came after you for taking a stand. How many brothers publicly stood up to the racist establishment; just to see they were all alone; just to see half the women hesitated to get close to them; just to see jealous brothers trying to keep the women who were turned on by them for standing up, away from them because of envy; just to find out some brothers were actually helping the racist set them up; just to hear organizations who were suppose to be there to help them tell them they came for help too late; just to find themselves a door knock away from wounding up broke and homless, ect...

Those things above happened to me and others, and I could go on. Although most of us didn't do nothing near as bold as what Ali did, I think I made my point. However, most people don't know that if you hang in there like Ali, you'll eventually come out victorious. But the things I mentioned in the paragraph above should never have to happen to the average person who stands up for what's right. But today with the recent events, it seems we're at a crossroads now, and we do have our brothers and sisters attention, but at the same time, I still sense a lot of negative energy when I go outside to be amongst them. Brothers still need to learn to respect one another a little more if we're going to move forward and make white people start to respect us, and continue to respect us.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :offtopic2:

5. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Some great black men there!

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    unfortunately, i cannot imagine professional black athletes of today doing anything like this........

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    You can never guess beforehand what some folks own life experiences have revealed, and/or when they have grown/matured/etc.

I do give everybody the benefit of the doubt...

Otherwise, I just pray for the best, prepare for the worst...

FYI

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Do check out Will Smith's outstanding role as 'Ali' (the movie)...

Among other things, Ali's brave stand, i. e., against serving in an unjust war (even as a spokesperson), etc., inspired everybody against it, also around the globe...

He was and is truly our (and the masses) champ...

(BIG smile)...