Black men quietly combating stereotypes

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by panafrica, Jul 2, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060701...yEflBlH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother Pan.

Being 6'4 and 225, I completley relate to these brothers. However, I do not smile, I do not crack racial jokes with them. I do not go out of my way to change someones sterotypes about me. I feel like this changing of personality to please someone is not my job. I know at my place of employment, I am respected not because they think I am unfriendly, but because I am a leader, a good communicator and a peaceful soul.

A man once told me, that your handsome, your black and your big, you will have to make people feel comfortable with you in order to clearly communicate with them.

I got stable when I abandoned this rhetoric, I did the complete opposite while homeless, and a year later, I am mentally and spiritually stable.

I am glad I did not appease...

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Goodness! Black men shouldn't have to 'dumb down' in order to put the next man at ease. Sad. like a Black woman mammying to soothe the egos of weak women. And where has all this tolerance and acceptance gotten us? Apparently, more afraid to be our natural selves in the midst of weaker folks. It's pretty sad that six years into the new millenium; the old slave caricature needs to be re-enacted by Black folks just for us to get by:rolleyes:

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    it is not just size. during my career in corporate i routinely was told that i intimidated white people.
    i would go on interviews and get rejected or passed over because i was too smart!?
    it's just the way their passive aggressive racism is expressed.

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    this is why i do not do this society; i would have been shot long ago. i will not tolerate this; the only possible way that i will "conform" to whatever it is that drives this phenomena, is when i am laying in a casket!! "Your Honor, with all due respect to the Court; you will have to instruct the Bailiff to shoot me as the absolute only method of "compliance" to the Court's order. I'll be leaving now; i have a Life to Live." (oh lawd!! even in "screaming my defiance", i have thrown down that "deference"! smh - it is so ingrained!! LOL) [gotta be able to laugh at oneself, sometimes.]

yeah, they threw that "too smart" crap. also, "you see too much", "you understand too well", say freaking what??? step off peckerwood! oops! this one makes my blood boil.

6. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hey you guys, sorry. I have been going out of my way for so long to prove that we are "not all like that" that 'I DON'T KNOW WHO THE #$&! I AM ANYMORE!

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    THAT was the bit that made me say "STOP!! I AIN'T DOING THIS #H1T NO MORE" - <whew> when the only thing one has is all the stuff inside one's skin; it gets pretty scary when one comes to realize that one really has not clue one what the heck is in here!

"Let US not go quietly into that good night, let us not go down without a fight"

i am a Man. and as long as we are gonna spin wheels playing this game of colorism; I AM an Afrcan. either way, and in every way, i am not going to be anything other than what there is to Be inside this skin. anything on the other side of this skin that thinks it has any sort of opinion about anything on this side, is sadly mistaken and will be ignored - it does not benefit me; it wastes my time; it disrepects me. NO means NO. don't "force"me to go there, all people have the option of not being harrassed. i'm gonna go over there and do my life, and you are not. i gotta go there? wasn't my intention, i absolutely detest the notion ... but, ok; here's some merthiolate, and i'm out the door, rolling on into my Life. I am Life; I am Limitless - go away.

(grrr ok, so this is a sentiment that must be embraced. but why it gotta be said by those that are the ones driving the push that one is standing up to! who the heck where they talking to? who else is there? these people are obviously insane if they are talking to each other! ..)

8. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    oh, wait!! you live here too! i know the one you be talking about! notice how we got a nomadic Black community around here! but where ever it is it always fits the stereotype as soon as it is established?

on the other hand, there might actually be more of us than actually live directly in "Black communities" in washington living not in Black communities. i've found Black folks in some of the most outlandish places out in the woods! AND THEY LIVING LARGE!! clear headed, at peace, got all the bases covered and strong enough to have realized that the "only way out" is to walk away.

it hurts, it takes some planning, and it will take a bunch of redefinition of all turns of thought - cuz that mess in that babylon is only gonna make you stupid - literally - you can't figure out how to get out if you chase "the nine to five". you're "too busy" wheel:spin:

9. conflict

conflict Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Black man quietly combatting stereotypes. Shame is that as soon as you depart from the presence of other races you become a ****** to them. Maybe not because of any impression that you have left on them but the one they get everyday when the turn on the 11 o'clock news.

10. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    "The rules of the game are universal: White moves first, then black moves," he said. "Black has to respond to the moves that the whites make. You take the advantage when it's available."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a fool I am glad I dont value ruthless white and his business too much. If I did I would be considered ruthless white's SHADOW like all the other races of people. If ruthless white world disappear I would not lose to much sleep.
    I dont fear starting over or being poor.

Plus based on the present attitudes of our young poor people with no INHERITANCE, they seem to not know this GAME too well.

Guess, this is a game played well by middle class and socially and racially aspiring people.

Oh well, I wish everyone the BEST.