BLACK MEN & PIT BULL TERRIERS...

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Isaiah, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I don't know exactly when this particular breed took off in its popularity in our communities, but it is unusal in my neighborhood to see folk with other breeds unless they are rotweilers - another quite fearsome canine. It is as if this dog became the "designer" dog of fashion, and that fashion has not only not gone out of style, but has gotten completely out of control in it's popularity. I am wondering what is African people's fascination with this animal, and why???

My brothers, what is our fascination with this animal???

Does the animal reflect who we are think we are, and what we feel we need to be - hard, mean, and vicious?

What kind of brothers own these kinds of animals?

Are they secure people, capable of defending themselves with, or without the dogs, or are they oft insecure types, who actually need that dog to feel secure and protected???

Are we clear that, despite the fact that there are many defenders of this animal, it inflicts more dog bites, as well as lethal wounds than any other dog by a margin of 4 to 1? Is there a way to own this dog without risking the safety of our children and neighbors?

What do you feel about keeping dogs, or other animals in the home - does that pose some health issues??? I look forward to reading some of the answers to this little query...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    fascination.....is these dogs are fast bets and money !

it not about who we are but what these kind of dogs can offer
    many are not breed to be house pets but fighters for dealers, gamblers
    who pay big bucks $$$ to watch these Animals rip the neck off the next
    they are not the smartest of breeds but surely the figher

I own a (roc) rotweiler.....from birth and she is a house pet not raised
    to mix tieds and fight but more sensitive to the home she not for security
    but can be and she knows her bounderies within these dogs need their space
    if kept caged they become as vicious as any my dog was raised with children
    and she more protective of them then an adult she have been tested many times
    with use of babydolls to trace her reaction, she has learn to pull a doll by the cloth
    and not skin to bite or harm her love for children has been amazing still they not
    the smartest of dogs but trained like one if it's done properly, she can be defensive
    for the safty of the home , yes there is a history of these dogs that will turn on even
    you as the owner but again it's how they was raised and trained mine been with me
    and children for more then 9 years so yes their are ways to own this dog without
    harm to a child and neighbors or surroundings she is humble to small children
    a baby cry she wines and lower her head she watchies closely as well

the only health issue i see in owning a dog is that they are not bath and
    cared for which is animal crulity and neglect !

but Pit bulls are breed raised to fight and many make tons of money off
    these dogs the price is up for a new born range likes of 250. to 300 bucks
    for males and a little less for females
    so when it come to style it will seem like it's gone out but they are money
    makers and it's something we learn and now working the dogs to gain royalities
    like back in the days of chicken fights ! you can get jail time if caught fighting
    these animals some people have them for protection and to look big knowing
    these are fighter and vicious dogs many are reported yearly .

i'll come back to add more on these kind of dogs .

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Big Money Rich, thanks for your reply, man... I appreciate the knowledge you've shared... It was honest and sincere and balanced... I'm so tired of hearing people defend these dogs without a balanced view of the good and the bad of ownership of these animals... Perhaps, that is why so many tragic accidents happen with them - the denial factor... Thanks again, Rich...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well we have foxi she is 2 years old now a little roc and she loves kids
    She plays with the kids on the block if they playing tag she plays to
    Football you name it. One thing if a stranger walks down the street she is on them. Its like she thinks she protects the street kids. and the mailman is her best friend..he brings her treats....smh

Now I was scared of her, i think i was the only one...lol but.. she is not just mind but my cousin next door is the one that got her and her brother and we had to put him to sleep he was mean. He wouldn’t let us feed him or come near him. Then he start going after folks. So he was laid to rest…..

Then about 10 years ago my brother had a pit bull, rockie was his name..it only like me until after I had the baby… I was pregnant and it use to lay at my feet…no one could come near me but the kids in the family…He was not a fighting dog for money...but one day he turned on my brother...so he was laid to reast too.....

But the best dog I ever had was a dachshund and the smartest one i had
    Mack was my dog....very well tame and he outlived his life spam by 5 years.
    he was a show dog won some ribbions also thought he was human.....but anyway.....so facts on him.....

The Dachshund was developed in Germany more than 300 years ago to hunt badgers.

From 1930 to 1940, Dachshunds advanced from 28th to sixth rank among American registrations, and maintained this average rank through World War II

but i dont think you wanted to know all that...lol

Peace
    Angel

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Some history....

The breed dates back to about 1835. Some few years later, to gain size, this dog was crossed with the Spanish Pointer, and even to this day evidence of Pointer inheritance is seen occasionally.

1890 It was a dog for sportsmen in times when life in general was more strenuous and of rougher, coarser fiber when dog fights were allowed and well attended. As fighting dog or "gladiator" of the canine world, such a dog had to be of great strength, agility, and courage. A bred by gentlemen for gentlemen for those who had a great sense of fair play, and who scorned the liar and the deceiver in any game. The dog was taught to defend himself and his master courageously, yet he was to seek or provoke a fight

Contrary to the opinion of those who do not know him, it is an exceedingly friendly dog; he thrives on affection, yet is always ready for a fight and a frolic.

to say all of this..to breed these dogs for fighting did not just start its been going on for a long time..it aint new.....

i be back with the link i did research on my dogs and had this in my files
    now i gotta find the link.....smh

6. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    Well surely if you ever read or replyed to any of my posts, (seeing that I do have two of them as my avatar) you knew I would be one to reply to this thread.
    First of all, it's plain that I am not a man but a "Queen" (woman) and I know this question was address to the men. I have two dogs with entirely 2 different personalities. their names: egypt and nubia

When my daughter was 2, 3 and 4, she always loved both cats and dogs, she would always touch or run behind them on the street (which I stopped her from doing) both me and my husband were dog lovers growing up. When she turned 5 we promised to get her a dog (while she was still a baby) and the going price for "rotts" was $250. and up. *whew* the bottom line is, I have always hated pitt-bulls with a passion only because of the rep that they carry. I later found out that they were like that because of the owners training them to fight/kill for money and the whole yard. I ended up with a "rott-pitt" ...

1. "Egypt" ..."rott-pitt" (mother rott, father pitt) We got her when she was 3 weeks old, far to soon to leave her mother but she was a big fat one. people say that both dogs: rott and pitt are very dangerour dogs and to have one with both breeds in it , is muder.

She is the most loving dog in the world...to us. As a puppy she slept in the room with my daughter, anyone would come in and out of the house at will. she was always around children. But as she start getting older (1 yr. old) she became less and less friendly..to the point now where "no one" can walk through that door or she'll take their head off...including children. She is in every sense of the word a "killer dog" ...nobody can come within 6 feet of my daughter when this dog is around...nobody!!

I can't speak for other dogs, but these two that I have are very, very smart.
    And the only time trouble comes is when someone step on this property, she guards the surroundings with her life.

2. Nubia "rott"
    she was 4 weeks old, by then.. egypt was 1yr. and she raised nubia. They are now 3 (rott-pitt) 2 (rott)
    this dog will let anybody pet her until egypt show up on the set, then nubia also goes into attact mode. they do a lot of team work.
    it would amaze you to see the picture album that I have of just them in several different poses, yes they will sit, lay or stand together to take a picture, and I'm saying all that to say this...

All dogs have the nature of a "dog" ...but, we don't all get doys (rotts or pitts) for the same reasons. So many people (big dealers) have offered us up to $600. to mate my "rott-pitt" and they will buy everyone she has. I do not like dog fights and I will not mate my dog for that purpose...not ever.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i need not say more for Angel and Queentswana had finished my tale
    but know every dog is raised differently and used differently so what
    makes these dogs cost more and everyone get them is to make money
    some as pets and some as gaurd dog even a few to show cast and make
    somebody seem bad or tough but this been going on for so long just black
    folks are now getting into what was going on long ago fighting these kind
    of dogs .........They are very lovely Animals but can be deadly if not trained
    right

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think the problem is like anything else. People are so into trendy things that they have to do what everyone else is doing. The problem is they are too stupid to know that they need to do research on these dogs and really learn how to take proper care of them. They also need to know what and what not to do with these dogs. Too many people don't do this. They just run off and try to buy one because they look cool walking the dog down the street past children and babies. Sometimes they don't even have leashes on them. I don't think most people should have these type of dogs. They have shown that they are prone to violence. Not all but alot have been involved in some type of abuse. I would never own a dog that is likely to snap and attack someone. I couldn't live with myself if a child or baby or old person got seriously hurt or killed because I had to have a dog similar to DMX's.

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Whew, peops, I can see that all who've responded to this thread, MzBlkAngel, Queentswana, and Big Money Rich, are all dog lovers, and I want to thank you all for being so patient and forthright with me, a non-dog lover(smile!)

I mean, I don't dislike dogs at all - just the vaunted Pit Bull Terrier... I don't dig their unpredictability, I don't dig their sometimes CRAZED behaviour... I don't dig reading of the stories of how they attack children, as one did here in Brooklyn several weeks ago, and kill them. In nearly every case, these dogs have to be hit upside the head with bats or some other such blunt instrument to get them to release their victims, and that is just not kosher to me...

Some years ago, like 2001, I met a sister outside of Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in Manhatttan, who had been "bitten"(seized is more the proper word)on the breast by a pit bull, and had it not been for a man shooting this dog to death, he would have killed her... She said she had gone unconscious with the pain inflicted on her by the bite, and would probably have been killed had it not been for her rescuer... She also said that this dog had been prompted to attack her by it's 17-year old owner, who was later arrested.

My own brother and I do not visit one another because he is the owner of both breeds, Rot and Pit, because I don't dig this animals attitude, as it were... When he owned only the Rott, everything was everything, as Donny Hathaway would say... Her name was Patience, and she was incredibly affectionate, a big juicy kisser, if you will(smile!)... Then my brother got his Pit Bull... He claims he didn't train Patience properly, as she wasn't his example of what a good guard dog should be... She didn't bark, and scare the hell outta everybody who walked by his door... She didn't stare malevolently at folk, and pace all around like she was a nut on a furlough... Now, he's got what he wants in this dog whose name I don't know, and don't freakin' care to know... He says the vibe I send to the dog aint good for my health(smile!) Yo, pa, see ya!(smile!)

Rich, Queentswana, and MzBlkAngel, my brother and I discussed this same thing some years before he aquired the Pit, that they are not the smartest of breeds - and that's putting it lightly... You guys have touched on this yourselves... Remember, I did ask the question in the initial post, Is this animal reflective of who we are, or want to be, as Black Men, in particular??? I am not getting this...

Don't get a brother wrong... I dig smaller dogs, particularly those pug dogs(smile!) I dig cats, too(they're so mad smart and independent) But, don't give me no dumb dog, all he or she knows how to do is attack my fellow human beings... Yo, back to the freakin' jungle with that!!! If I need to defend myself against another human being, I'll do that the way I've been doing it all of my life... I don't want to sic no animal on any human being, because that's not a fair fight, and shows my intent to KILL, rather than DEFEND... That is my logic...

Thanks to you all for your responses, and MzBlkAngel, I will be looking forward to your additional info(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Kente, happy that you were weighing in on this even as I was posting myself... I am in total agreement with you on this tip, and my preceeding post would indicate that... What else is new with us, man(smile!)

But like you said, it is a humanity thing with me... It is a LIFE thing with me... If the Pit Bull grabs a child, and I've got to bust him up beside his dome with a blunt instrument, I am just sensitive enough that I would even be devastated to have to do what I had to do... I respect life that much, because LIFE is given by God, not me... Some weeks ago, I had the unfortunate circumstance of what I think was a queen bee having flown into my residence... She was big and massive, and her buzz could be heard at the back of my house(smile!)... When I walked up into the area she was in, and saw her size, I said, "oh S@!$!", and went and got my broom, yo! I knew insect spray wasn't gonna do nuffin!(smile!) I proceeded to smash her once, but she still came smokin' after me, gliding my way after I had broken my broom on the first swipe... I hit her again in flight, and she was gone...

I was not proud of that... I wish there had been a way for me to let her out of my house without making her feel that I was attacking her, but...

So, Pit Bulls, whom I don't feel serve as great a purpose as Queen Bees, but whom I would not to have to inflict no damage on, and whom I don't want inflicting damage on me, I can do without... By the same token, I do understand that many of the owners of these breeds are the real problem...

Peace!
    Isaiah