Gun Ownership : Black Men Openly Carrying a Gun in a Holster Will End Racial Profiling in America

In the Spirit of Truth,

Black Men Openly Carrying a Gun in a Holster Will End Racial Profiling in America

Contrary to conventional thinking on both sides of the political divide, more legal guns in the hands of law-abiding black men will defeat racism and end racial profiling in this country.

Specifically, openly carrying a handgun in a hip holster will serve as a sign to everyone (law enforcement, the Wal-Mart employees frightened that a black man is holding a Wal-Mart air gun, the paranoid neighborhood watchman, an average citizen on the street) that black men in this country don't correlate to the various prejudices Americans have towards dark skin. Below are three more reasons why the 2nd Amendment and open carry will help protect the civil rights of African-Americans, defeat racial profiling in America, and help eliminate tensions that have existed for centuries.

1. Racism and a bias against dark skin exists in America. Openly carrying a gun, in a hip holster, can defeat this entrenched prejudice.

2. Black men are not a threat. Openly carrying a handgun in a holster will illustrate this fact, as stated by gun advocates who agree with my idea.

3. Forging alliances with those on the opposite end of the political spectrum will help African-Americans destroy racism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/black-men-openly-carrying_b_6313176.html

gun-holster.jpg

What criminal would openly carry a firearm?

A legal, constitutionally protected way to defeat racism is right in front of us. After all, everyone can relate to not wanting to be viewed as a criminal, regardless of how they feel about climate change or taxes.

It's time black men across the country openly carry a gun and it's time the NRA, Tea Party and others support this idea.

I was raised around weapons, grew up shooting, etc.... My family still hunts. I support 'Castle Law' and the right to defend. Always will.

Open-carry? Can't get on board with this. Not with this stated purpose.
If you're male and big and black? You're probably more likely to be profiled. So, I got a few comments to make:

-- If black men are targeted because they appear threatening - if victims are often shot by officers operating under the ..."presumption"... that they're reaching for a weapon or armed (we call that "carrying"?) - how exactly would running around flaunting open-carry status, the deliberate and OBVIOUS intent being to 'show the police', help perception? I really don't know how anyone could think that a holstered weapon or knowledge that an individual/possible evildoer has one would be a deterrent for any police officer. The fact that an individual may be armed would be assumed, don't you think?

-- No one "carries" to make themselves appear non-threatening.

-- When exactly would you use your weapon...to defend against a policeman? That's a serious question. That weapon may have to come out of it's holster, y'know? Trading aggression for aggression is an ineffective tactic unless you're prepared to follow thru...and you've got more than a snowball's chance in hell of coming out on top.

-- A gun in every back-pocket or hand will destroy racism? Not likely. A lot of people (men) will be shot and killed because of it, though. *shrug*

-- "Guns for everyone! Let's all be open-carry!"
Not a word about arming these people with education, though. Just a bunch of 'roided up men running around with something to prove. If you don't know and can't demonstrate 'muzzle awareness', I don't want you anywhere near me with a weapon. I'm always at alert when a weapon is present. If I'm out and about with family and a bunch of men show up with rifles and guns? We're out of there.
Actually, it's been tried. Bunch of guys running around Austin and other little towns trying to prove a point. They don't carry handguns but big old assualt rifles slung to their backs. Even in Texas, people get antsy - and most homeowners have weapons. Most Texans do hunt and eat wild meat.
...but people don't even run around open-carry in the country.
Ain't nobody got time for these men with these weapons trying to prove to anything to other Texans about guns and gun-rights.
If I don't have a weapon - I don't care to be near a bunch of people with weapons while trying to shop or eat lunch. I don't trust others like that.
Concealed carry is good enough. It's tacky and ridiculous (and potentially dangerous) to have a weapon out in full view.

Overall -
UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT (I'm just letting ya'll know in advance, LOL):
Overall, I think the guy who thought this up is an alarmist. I think...this is a really stupid idea. It doesn't even work theoretically. LOL Like, there should be a rule. If you're going to propose a solution, it should be achievable. Effective. The goal should be realistic. It should generally make sense.

I was raised around weapons, grew up shooting, etc.... My family still hunts. I support 'Castle Law' and the right to defend. Always will.

If you're male and big and black? You're probably more likely to be profiled. So, I got a few comments to make:

-- If black men are targeted because they appear threatening - if victims are often shot by officers operating under the ..."presumption"... that they're reaching for a weapon or armed (we call that "carrying"?) - how exactly would running around flaunting open-carry status, the deliberate and OBVIOUS intent being to 'show the police', help perception? I really don't know how anyone could think that a holstered weapon or knowledge that an individual/possible evildoer has one would be a deterrent for any police officer. The fact that an individual may be armed would be assumed, don't you think?

-- When exactly would you use your weapon...to defend against a policeman? That's a serious question. That weapon may have to come out of it's holster, y'know? Trading aggression for aggression is an ineffective tactic unless you're prepared to follow thru...and you've got more than a snowball's chance in hell of coming out on top.

-- A gun in every back-pocket or hand will destroy racism? Not likely. A lot of people (men) will be shot and killed because of it, though. *shrug*

Not a word about arming these people with education, though. Just a bunch of 'roided up men running around with something to prove. If you don't know and can't demonstrate 'muzzle awareness', I don't want you anywhere near me with a weapon. I'm always at alert when a weapon is present. If I'm out and about with family and a bunch of men show up with rifles and guns? We're out of there.
Actually, it's been tried. Bunch of guys running around Austin and other little towns trying to prove a point. They don't carry handguns but big old assualt rifles slung to their backs. Even in Texas, people get antsy - and most homeowners have weapons. Most Texans do hunt and eat wild meat.
Ain't nobody got time for these men with these weapons trying to prove to anything to other Texans about guns and gun-rights.
If I don't have a weapon - I don't care to be near a bunch of people with weapons while trying to shop or eat lunch. I don't trust others like that.
Concealed carry is good enough. It's tacky and ridiculous (and potentially dangerous) to have a weapon out in full view.

Overall -
Overall, I think the guy who thought this up is an alarmist. I think...this is a really stupid idea. It doesn't even work theoretically. LOL Like, there should be a rule. If you're going to propose a solution, it should be achievable. Effective. The goal should be realistic. It should generally make sense.

Haaaaaaaaay Sister !!!! ... :wave: ... Happy New Year !!! ... Welcome Home !!! ... :swings:

I shole had been think'n of you ... nice to have your up close and personal energy again ... :love:

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Overall -

Thanks for contributing, as usual, your comments are meaningful and on point, to include the sense of fear you seem to have for those that follow the constitutional right to open carry.

You asked this question:

" ... how exactly would running around flaunting open-carry status, the deliberate and OBVIOUS intent being to 'show the police', help perception?"

The idea is that there would be no need to profile the person exercising the right of open carry. There is absolutely no criminal element attached to anyone openly carrying a firearm, and therefore no need to racially profile that person ...

Prohibited persons
People prohibited by law from carrying a firearm. Typical examples are felons, those convicted of a misdemeanor of domestic violence, those found to beaddicted to alcohol or drugs, and those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry_in_the_United_States

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back