Gun Ownership : Black Men Openly Carrying a Gun in a Holster Will End Racial Profiling in America

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
... Prepared goes without saying, most Black folk (men and women) are currently, or ex-militarily trained in deadly force. The problem is they haven't adjusted to new gun laws.

I'd say roughly 50% are not open-carry and run the risk of having a concealed weapon, if caught. Meanwhile, the
article speaks to the broader issue of open-carry as a deterrent to racial profiling, whether the weapon is used or not.

Let's understand that brothers have been gunned down recently for openly carrying a toy replica.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Let's understand that brothers have been gunned down recently for openly carrying a toy replica.

Do you have evidence pointing to brothers gunned down for openly carrying a toy replica(s)?

And please don't point to 12 year-old, Tamir Rice.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Do you have evidence pointing to brothers gunned down for openly carrying a toy replica(s)?

And please don't point to 12 year-old, Tamir Rice.

I don't recall the specifics, but wasn't there a brother gunned down for brandishing a weapon, ( 911 call in btw, the caller later recanted after he was killed ) that turned out to be a toy replica still in the box. Which of course ruled a good shoot.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I don't recall the specifics, but wasn't there a brother gunned down for brandishing a weapon, ( 911 call in btw, the caller later recanted after he was killed ) that turned out to be a toy replica still in the box. Which of course ruled a good shoot.

The only thing I'm aware of that's even remotely close to what you describe would be the rapid gunning down of 12 year-old Tamir Rice:

12-year-old Tamir Rice death by homicide
Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Dec 5, 2014

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/12-year-old-tamir-rice-death-by-homicide.82212/#post-905775

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist

Deacs

Feb 4, 2013
Is there a statute for the time of day open carry is allowed?

My question is, would there be a difference between daytime or nighttime open carry?
It depends on your state, but I have never heard of a timezone restriction. It is on you in plain sight, in the holster with either it latched in or in a quick release holster. The only issue with it is when it is winter time or when it gets cold and you wear a coat which is longer than your waist. That is technically concealed.

Deacs

Feb 4, 2013
Folks walking around at night with guns on them in "plain sight" hasn't been an issue?

Imagining 5 black men with open carry permits walking down the sidewalk at 11 pm, should they drop them if the police come up and ask them to, or should they invoke their rights to open carry?

This is a scenario that we should consider when trying to show legal resistance.
I have walked around at night with my weapon in my holster
I have gotten out of my car at walmart and walked through lanes
I have went to starbucks to pick up a caramel latte
I have went to the weapon store to pick up more bullets

and no, it hasn't been an issue. There has been zero officer interaction as to my sidearm... well, other to find out which model it is... and definitely the type of shotgun,. because not everyone gets a UTS... people usually purchase a crappy mossberg, but I hate them, the slide sucks... and its not even metal anymore, they feel like toys.

You don't carry an open carry permit... in NC, that is your identification. Its attached to your record which states that you are licensed, which weapons that you are licensed with,

Open carry is open carry.. the law requires you to have it in a holster and displayed where eyes can view it... hence... OPEN CARRY.

There is no time to sit there and think of various incantations in which things could go wrong... its the law, and the law works.
Plus... I live in NC... why in the semblance or your approximation of hades would you be walking down a freaking street at 2300?

and if you do, since its open carry, there is no need to invoke your right to open carry, since you are actually carrying your weapon openly. People need to start acting normally instead of worrying about inherent strawmen which may happen... simply be a citizen.

There might be an issue with culture... because I live in a military town... we have weapons... we have a large population of former military... all of our activities are nearly based around weaponry or games with weaponry like paintball, lazertag, 12 firing ranges, nearly 30 independent gun stores not including the pawn shops. It is utterly normal for us.

That goes to show when your police force is part of the community, because they literally understand the common occurrences.

that's not to say that my town doesn't have issues. we have police shootings. and they were investigated, with the dead armed and gpr found on their hands... or the time when while investigating a shooting another came towards the police and started shooting, which basically led to his demise and two sons a mother had to bury in one sitting.

Attachments

Deacs

Feb 4, 2013
I am trying to see the point...is it an issue of openly carrying or having ID... since you should have ID anyway.

you should all normalize your police force.... go get your permits...

Like I said in another thread when there was a big hoopla about the stand your ground law... that law was made out of fear, so in order to get those elephants to change their thinking, you must make them hyper sensitive... if a larger contingent of blacks gained their permits and purchased weapons, they will adjust the law quicker than with the tears of dead kids.

Fayetteville NC has a different culture than Charlotte NC... even though they have the same weapons rules, the scene of one openly carrying looks suspicious to them more than us. But if they are constantly carrying and parading for years, then the culture will simply change.

Deacs

Feb 4, 2013
Ok... and what does this have to do with your time of day argument?

Deacs

Feb 4, 2013
What time of day argument? ... it was a question
That was a separate post related to knowing the game/law before attempting to proclaim to know it.

More along the lines of "kids, don't try this at home"
Ok I am following.

And yeah.. alot of times people try things which they hear and see without the proper research... Many concealed carry laws are accepted in other states... but it's that one state which will send you to the bin.

And to a point both the arrested and police were correct... all things change when that darn 911 call is made, before then you can actually question the motive of them asking...
unless you are in NY... then you will simply be violated

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: