Black Entertainment : Black Men Choosing to Be Emasculated

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Destee, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I watched Dave Chappelle on Oprah the other day, and he talked about being pressured to wear a dress in a movie he was doing (or had done) with Martin Lawrence. He said that after he told one of the movie executives no, another came in ... one after the other, after the other ... pressuring him to put on that dress! I was surprised to hear him talk about this, as he is the first Brother in the business, that i've heard even mention this phenomena. I was proud to hear him speak on how he would not go out like that. He said that there are many strong Brothers, that have put on a dress.

As a result of that show, i was talking to my son about the same thing, and he said that many Black Male Actors have done it (he watches lots of movies). So yall know me, i wanted a list of them. I don't watch movies very often, so i've not seen hardly any of those listed below. If not for my son, i would not have been able to comprise this list.

I hope you all will add to the list ... name the STRONG BLACK BROTHERS (and the associated movie / program) that have voluntarily put on a dress or taken part in some sort of emasculating activity on the big screen.

Will Smith (Fresh Prince)
    Martin Lawrence (his show and Big Momma)
    Jamie Foxx (Living Color)
    Daymon Wayans (Living Color)
    David Allen Grier (Living Color)
    Wesley Snipes (my son said he can't remember the film, but he was dressed as a drag queen)
    Ving Rhames (Pulp Fiction - my son said he was done in the booty by a gang of white men)
    Eddie Murphy (Nutty Professor)
    Flip Wilson (Geraldine)
    Chris Rock (Fresh Prince)
    Cedric the Entertainer (his show)
    Jazzy Jeff (Fresh Prince)
    Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton - Fresh Prince)

Again, i caught my son on the run, and i really can't attest to all above, as i've not seen the majority of what's listed. If something needs to be corrected, let me know ... and add on ... please!

:heart:

Destee

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    collar just burned right off! it's too hot in here!

[size=+1]You REALLY need to change that title! [size=+1]QUICKLY[/size][/size]​
    Begging your pardon, Destee, but it's being all I can do not to title this post "kiss my grits!"

Make it "Some Black Men .." or, better, "Some Black Actors ..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause I truly don't like the way that sorta seems to be such a general "Black Men" kinda statement!! (Ah, snap!! I hadn't noticed that this tripe is over here in the Black Men - Brothers - Warriors forum! How about, at least, moving this disparaging bit of fluff off to that "entertainment" space, since that is who you are talking about??!!) True dat; "I do know better", but, while I am not able to point out particulars, I do recall complaints being registered by some folks as to such seemingly "derogatory" comments getting such a general label. "I don't like it; reverse it." (Gosh; shades of Howard Cosell! .. )

Yup; playing that capitalism game will sure get folks to compromise themselves. But, as they say; gotta pay them bills, eh? ... `Sides, why sweat it; it's only business, no? Oh, wait; I meant "it's only entertainment, right?"

I sure hope that y'all just keep loving bringing in that paycheck every week! Ain't a whole lot different going on there than this thread: all being pimped!! But y'all go `head on with your [ ... ] selves!

On the other hand; one night out at the movies is, what, almost two months of premium membership? Possibly even two months of premium family membership? I don't need to go to a theatre, or buy a cd (one month of premium family membership!) to know that dang near everybody around this planet is doing all they can do to keep us reminded of how much crap we are living in!!!!!!!!!!

3. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    On the other hand; IT'S FRIGGING ACTING, for christ's sake!! Ain't nobody sold out nothin!

"peace and blessings" my left ... er ...

bring my them u-hauls; i got sum'n for ya! (nah, not like that: it just seems more and more that a Solid, Honest, True Loving (NOT the bouncy stuff) Black Man might be of some value.)

(dang; i reckon i'll cool off sooner or later ..)

4. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    Thank you!

Well, at least it did get moved! And the other part?

If there is one Black Man that is not "choosing to be emasculated" then this title is completely invalidated. And knowing me, I'd have to say that this title IS completely invalidated! Sure, ok; there are those that will go there - either acting, or for real - but, still ...

Exactly like that "homegrown terrorist" bit: say something really "uncomfortable" and then toss up some sort of "clarification" without actually changing, or retracting the statement, leaving the damage in place. OUCH!!! It just hurts much worse when it is one of our own that does it!

(shoot: only almost calmed down ... still rankles a whole freakin bunch, though ..)