Black Parenting : Black Men as Fathers

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Father's Day 2003 will soon arrive. When you think of your father, what immediately comes to mind?

I'm sure many of us have fond memories of our fathers and some of us don't. Either way, has knowing or not knowing your father made some type of impact on your life?

Is there good reason today to celebrate African American fathers? After all, we often hear so much negative "stuff" about them through the media and even amongst ourselves. They've been called by many uncomplimentary names: "sperm donor", "absentee", "no good", "irresponsible", and the list goes on and on.

Everyone knows that not ALL men who become fathers fit those descriptions. Most men can father a child, but being fertile doesn't make him a parent. Aaaahhh, fathers as parents. How good are they at parenting their children? Sometimes, I don't think we appreciate them until they're gone from us.

A year ago my father died. My favorite name for him was "Pop"! I always called him that. I never realized how close we were until he was gone. We used to chat a lot and about so much. He was a gentle man, but firm at the same time. You didn't want to cross him. My boyfriends discovered that much to their shock and horror! :eek:

I used to get really upset when Pop would watch over me like a hawk. I couldn't get away with much of anything. *lol* He was extremely protective of me and I didn't understand then why that was. Years later after I had my own child, I discovered the answer. I miss that about my dad. It was always comforting knowing he was there for me no matter what.

I'm glad to have known him; proud to have had him as my Pop, and I'm extremely thankful that I got the opportunity to tell him that and I loved him before he passed away.

Let's pay tribute to the fathers that deserve it...and here's to you Pop! :toast:

Peace :love:

http://www.gendercenter.org/aafathersprotect.htm

There is no community in the world where the father is not an important role in the family. I was blessed to have a father in my life (my parents have been married for 34 years), and his influence played a large part in the type of man I am today. My father is not that much of a talker (never has been). But he was/is a good provider that led by example. He believed in hard work, obeying the law, paying the bills on time, and loving his family. His example is reflected in myself and my brothers.

As many of my Destee family knows, I work with High School kids (I have also worked with elementary school kids). Without meaning to stereotype, I can almost tell which kids have a positive male figure at home by their behavior. It is extremely rare for kids with a stable two-parent household to cause trouble. In the rare instances where they do, a simple call to their parents (preferable the father) will straighten them out. Whereas a call to a fatherless house is often a hit or miss situation.

This fathers day will be a special one for me. I am going to visit my parents (they live in a different state), so I will celebrate it with my dad. But what really will make this father's day special for me is that it is MY 1st father's day. I look forward to years of receiving ties, shirts, and other gifts that I don't really like........lol!

Dad ...

The one word that comes to my mind when I think of my father is Dad. That was the only thing that I called him, because that was what he was....my dad.

Reading panafrica's tribute to his father was like reading a tribute I would write about mind...I lost m y father 15 years ago, but I still thank him everyday for being my dad. People tell me that I look like my father, but I'm anxiously waiting for the day that people will say "you are like your father".

Panafrica...there's nothing like fatherhood...enjoy it and take full advantage of it rewards.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back