Black People : Black Men Are No Better-Off Today Than Their Forefathers Were in 1865

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    At the turn of a new year; nearly 150 years after Black people were released from slavery, sadly, Blacks today are no better-off, and by some accounts are worse-off, than their forefathers.
    Even Black men who are graduating from college are finding themselves unprepared for the real demands of the world. In 1865, despite having no more than a 3rd grade education in most cases, Blacks following their freedom, became blacksmiths, bricklayers, carpenters, merchants, teachers, doctors, lawyers, farmers, ranchers, cooks, soldiers and more, as reported by Black Star Journal. Blacks back then also built houses, towns, communities, businesses, families, schools, universities, institutions and strongly invested in their collective future.
    According to the 2011 U.S. Department of Education’s National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), only 10 percent of 8th-grade Black boys are reading at or above a proficient grade level.
    Though it might have been possible to flourish in 1865 with little to no schooling; that is nearly impossible in today’s society. Because black boys are not reading at even the 8th-grade level, as adults they have much fewer options compared to their forefathers who were freed slaves.
    If education is power then there is no wonder as to why there is suffering in the Black community. From the crippling unemployment rate to the astronomical amount of Blacks behind bars, everything can be traced to the lack of education. Really, the prison system coupled with the complete breakdown of the black family has reopened slavery’s ugly door. To endure this life is the opposite of freedom because the choices are clearly selected for you. A Black man who can not read at an 8th-grade level today is in no better condition to make it in this wo

http://www.blackbluedog.com/2014/01...off-today-than-their-forefathers-were-in-1865

2. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some would argue that we are better off today than yesterday but the reality is that we are not. On a physical plane we may appear to be better off but when you look behind the scenes we are not on many levels.

Integration really put us down along with Jim Crow we were knocked out and we are still in a dream like state having a nightmare.

In the 1960's and before we had our own thriving towns and we had our own economy but after the sixties when were able to be closer to white people our businesses and our economy went away.

Today what do we have? Nothing....

3. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956

Hello Brother Brown You said “Integration really put us down along with Jim Crow we were knocked out and we are still in a dreamlike state having a nightmare”. With that being said do you think Martin Luther King’s movement and its integrative results hurt us more as black people or helped us? I think it hurt us more.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    What needs to be done to change this?

I know this is a quote from a white man but I find it applicable.

5. Josh X Brown

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not trying to take away from what our Bro. represented. He was a good Bro. but he did not have knowledge of the Time and the people he was dealing with. But the movement hurt us more than it helped Us.

6. Josh X Brown

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!

What needs to be Done has already been given back in the 30's and even now But people do not look into it. If we would have fallowed Muhammad's Economic Blueprint then we would not be experiencing what we are now. Minister Farrakhan has put Muhammad's Economic Blueprint out there again for Us to look into and fallow so we could free ourselves from poverty and want.

Our solution is there and it's our Only solution to Unite and do for self or parish.
    It's not about Titles it's about Us loving ourselves enough to do for self.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :10500: so, do any of you brothers want to go back to 1865? or even 1960? do you?

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    I will agree to disagree with you on this

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I respect the work of Elijah Muhammad and appreciate the "solution" as it is in the tradition of many of the great minds that have come to us, but I was not asking if there was or wasn't a plan.

I asked "what needs to be done to change this?"

My question was more about us right now in the action phase. Moreover, it is asking what are we doing to remedy this issue.

10. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Again what are we doing?