Black Men and Shaving

I was cursed...I can't use razors , clippers or electric razors, so on my face I can only use the red magic shave but for my moustache and chin I take it off with a razor (yeah my face is funny that way) I also shave my head with a razor.....after the razor I rub down the saved place with alcohol then wash with warm water and then I put on coconut oil.....after the magic shave, I wash with cold water then use a hot hot towel to let my pores open up, then I wash with warm water and a real mild soap after that I use either cocoa butter or eucerin non scented lotion......works everytime all the time......

MississippiRed

Actually

Destee said:
Hello Family,

I don't know if there is a thread about this already, seems i might have started one, as its been a topic on my mind for a very long time. Anyway, if i have, please forgive, 'cause i'm doing it again.

I'd like to be privy to a discussion regarding Black Men and Shaving ... the shaving of your faces. I think many Sisters, and probably young Brothers as well, could benefit from such a discussion.

I remember when my son first shaved his face! Oh My Gosh! The child woke up the next day screaming in horror, at the bumps that were on his face. He was devastated and traumatized! Being the single Mother that i am, i didn't have a clue as to what to tell him! I didn't even know that i needed to know special stuff about the shaving of a Black Man's face. If i had known, i surely would have led him in the right direction ... but it was too late for all of that! I don't remember what he used, but it wasn't the right stuff. After that, i remember asking around, and getting him some of that Magic Shave stuff ... the stinky stuff ... is that the right name ... and we (he) never had another situation exactly like the one above.

Well, that was many years ago, and he has since learned to manage all of this, but i think it would be good if we (you all) can inform others on how to avoid situations like i've described above.

As i said, i don't know much about the shaving of a Black Man's face, but i understand that you can't just go and buy one of the many electric razors advertised on television. Is this true? Are those razors made for white men? Is there a particular brand / type of electric razor that works better / best for a Black Man's face?

As i think on this, i remember buying my favorite Uncle an electric razor years ago, when i was a child. He never returned the gift to me, but i'm now wondering if he ever used it, not wanting to tell me to take it back, for fear of hurting his favorite Niece's feelings! :) My Uncle probably never used that thing, did he? It's been so long ago now, since i gave it to him, i'm sure he doesn't even remember.

Anyway ... Brothers ... and Sisters that are knowledgeable in this area ... can you enlighten us?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

It's best to start a 1st time shaver off with an electric razor. This will 1. Minimize the the cutting and scapping of a razor. 2. Not be as close.

Many BM have a disease called psuedo falliculea barbae. (sp) This is the ingrown hairs that causes the razor bumps. They can lead to permenant scarring.

I really don't get razor bumps that often....only when I violate these simple rules.
1. I use only disposable razors. One time use only.
2. I don't shave every day. Leads to more irritation.
3. I lather up real good with Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap (best around, no chemicals, no animal by-products...pure vegetarian soap)
3. Use a good moisturizer afterwards. Nothing heavy that can clog up the pores.
4. Nobody mentioned it, but I do believe diet has a important role in developing bumps.
5. Clean wash cloths everyday, change pillowcase every other day.

I have a mustache and gotee. Sometimes I sport a full wrap beard. I generally shave/trim with an Andis Outliner. No shaving cream required. No razor bumps. However when I decide to go clean cut I use a quality Gillette double edge razor and Aveeno shave gel. Never shave against the grain. Use slow, even strokes with razor. Aftershave I use fragrance-free Bump Fighter skin conditioner. If bumps occur I use Bump Patrol after shave intensive treatment. Very effective for ingrown hairs and razor bumps. From then on it's all good!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back