Black Men and Shaving

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Destee, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

I don't know if there is a thread about this already, seems i might have started one, as its been a topic on my mind for a very long time. Anyway, if i have, please forgive, 'cause i'm doing it again.

I'd like to be privy to a discussion regarding Black Men and Shaving ... the shaving of your faces. I think many Sisters, and probably young Brothers as well, could benefit from such a discussion.

I remember when my son first shaved his face! Oh My Gosh! The child woke up the next day screaming in horror, at the bumps that were on his face. He was devastated and traumatized! Being the single Mother that i am, i didn't have a clue as to what to tell him! I didn't even know that i needed to know special stuff about the shaving of a Black Man's face. If i had known, i surely would have led him in the right direction ... but it was too late for all of that! I don't remember what he used, but it wasn't the right stuff. After that, i remember asking around, and getting him some of that Magic Shave stuff ... the stinky stuff ... is that the right name ... and we (he) never had another situation exactly like the one above.

Well, that was many years ago, and he has since learned to manage all of this, but i think it would be good if we (you all) can inform others on how to avoid situations like i've described above.

As i said, i don't know much about the shaving of a Black Man's face, but i understand that you can't just go and buy one of the many electric razors advertised on television. Is this true? Are those razors made for white men? Is there a particular brand / type of electric razor that works better / best for a Black Man's face?

As i think on this, i remember buying my favorite Uncle an electric razor years ago, when i was a child. He never returned the gift to me, but i'm now wondering if he ever used it, not wanting to tell me to take it back, for fear of hurting his favorite Niece's feelings! :) My Uncle probably never used that thing, did he? It's been so long ago now, since i gave it to him, i'm sure he doesn't even remember.

Anyway ... Brothers ... and Sisters that are knowledgeable in this area ... can you enlighten us?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Sister Des, I was just about to log off and turn in for the evening when I saw this new thread. It's late and when I saw the word "shaving", naturally my mind wandered and I thought you were referring to another area. I'm glad I decided to shake the sleep from my eyes to carefully read your comments...:D

I don't know much about shaving a man's face either. My ex-husband never shaved and he had facial hair (can't quite describe it as a beard) that looked like a rag, tag team of stray hairs. :lol: It was awful looking but he would tell me that he didn't want to put a razor to his face and create hair bumps so he simply decided not to bother.

After he and I parted ways, I dated a guy for years who used Magic Shave and maaaaannn...the smell of that stuff literally singed my nose hairs it smelled so bad. If you didn't know any better, you'd think something crawled up on his face and died! :ghost: But I have to admit, it would leave his skin soft and very smooth once he scraped it off.

Now my father and brother were able to use razors, straight blades and electric and never had a problem with in-grown hairs. I'm not sure why some do and some don't. Maybe it has to do with the amount of curl in the hair--my father and brother had loose curls.

Not sure, but that's my .02 worth.

Queenie :heart:

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    do not shave at all unless you are forced to.

i use the top line Norelco electric when i shave and i avoid shaving two days in succession.
    i use a Remington trimmer.
    i will also use disposable razors.

i use vaseline afterwards on my skin.

4. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I get the bumps too. So usually I just let it go until I feel the burning, then I shave. Otherwise I just keep it knocked down low with a beard trimmer.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I never used Magic shave or any other chemical type on my face
    what i always do is take a hot towel and put it to my face and i use
    clippers & trimmers to shave ,then i take and wet my face use a
    mild soap and put it on my face let it dry a little and use a toss -a- razor
    to get the closeness , their are a few things to use after you done
    many will use that zema in the blue jar or Vaseline to sooth the skin

I use Witch Hazel which keeps my pores open to breath and not clog up
    and a little dap in my pom of herbal oil , I've never had bumps on my face before
    this works very well for my face & skin ..

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    One time my father had told me that most black men aren't clean-shaven. It wasn't something I had paid attention to until he made mention of it, but after that I started observing more and found what he said to be true.... at least of the men in my area. Please remember this is just on the basis of our own individual observations, and not meant to demean those who decide to shave.

But anyway, I have heard shaving causes problems for BM because when the hair grows back it pinches the skin resulting in irritation. So maybe that has something to do with it or maybe they just lke having facial hair. I remember my father had a lot of pride with his beard... and my brother has followed in his footsteps. :coffee:

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I never shaven completely, but when I trim my goat-T I use hair clippers. From my experience hair clippers do not leave razor bumps. Indeed I've never gotten them.

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I use disposable razors with a lot of shaving cream and no after-shave. I hate after-shave. I get a few bumps only if I shave against the way the hair lays. Other than that, I dont' break out. If I do it's like a couple of bumps. I always use a new razor, I rarely use a razor more than once. I feel the same as $$RICH$$ as far as the magic shave. I don't feel comfortable putting anything on my face that's so harsh that it makes my hair fall out. I think it all depends on how you shave and how often you shave. I never shave until my facial hair is really growing in. I'll use a razor one day, and then I'll use clippers the next time I need to shave because I don't want to use razors everytime. I think if you keep using razors every other day against your skin, you're more likely to break out because the skin gets irritated. I would say shave, then allow yourself to grow a little bit of hair in order to let the skin heal completely, then shave the next time with clippers. If I see a bumps or two, I don't shave. If anything, I'll use balding clippers and shave around the infected area until it heals. Then when it's completely healed, I shave with a razor.

9. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I was unable to shave with a razor for years until someone told me how to “train my face”. He said he learned how to do this in the Army along with other brothers who could not initially shave with razors. He told me let my beard grow out for while, then take it down as low as possible with clippers and follow these steps:

1. Only shave after you have washed your face and lather up with a good shaving cream.
    2. Use a new disposable razor each time you shave, and throw it away when you are done. Don’t reuse a razor.
    3. Go with the grain. A lot of men are tempted to shave against the grain, because it gives a closer shave. However, this is a sure way to get bumps.
    4. Shave everyday (no exceptions). The key to training your face is consistency.
    I did that religiously for about two months, and now I can use a razor. I shave now about every three days. Some times I use disposable razors, sometimes I use a straight edge razor.

A word to the wise… :danger:

Straight edge razors are no joke. They can take your head clean off. Unless you’re a glutton for pain (like I am), just use a disposable.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black shaving

2. why cant black guys shave?

3. can black people use electronic razors

4. why black people cant use razors