Black People : BLACK MATERIALISM SERVES WHITE SUPREMACY...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Sorry, but I had to post this thought, for better or for worse...

Bill Cosby's recent statements brought to clear exposure the kind of class warfare that has plagued Africans and Africans In Diaspora for the greater part of 2 centuries, and those who know and understand the historyshould be fully cognizant of it's negative impact on Black people all over the world - from the battles of Marcus Mosiah Garvey and W.E.B. DuBois to the hundreds of African leaders and their billion dollar swiss bank accounts...

Consequently, those of us who come to Destees should be careful not to engage in that kind of thing... None of us should be here bragging about how much money we're making without talking about how many Africans we're employing... If you are, then you are doing NOTHING but aiding and abetting the system of Global White Supremacy, because your individual achievements are, not only a European cultural value, and evince(demonstrate)your conditioning, but they aid the white man in keeping us firmly in our poverty-stricken places... It advances the class warfare that pits the poor African against the middle and upper-crust African... Hence, little should we wonder why we are, to use the Last Poets verse, "conquered and divided, tricked and undecided..."

No one should take this personally... I have, myself, found myself defending some wrong-headed positions, though I was well-meaning... Problem is, however, well-meaning or not, those positions, depending on the intensity in which one believes them, can be incredibly damaging... Just look around us, and bear witness to the Condoleeza's, Colin's, Clarence's, and the brothers who worked feverishly to destroy Garvey, Malcolm, and Muhammad... Look around at the middle-class Mississippians and Alabamans, who worked with the White Citizens Councils to destroy the local movements in those states, and when they found the local movements could not be stopped from their victorious march, and joined with the WCC to deny local Africans the victory they had won...

In Birmingham, the local Black Gentry, including A.G. Gaston himself, banded with the White Supremacists to smear and taint, and character assasinate the Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth, who had fought against Eugene "Bull" Connor by his lonesome for 10 long years... Then those negroes stood by Dr. Martin Luther King at his press conference to celebrate his phyrric victory in Birmingham - minus the Reverend Fred Lee Shuttlesworth...

The same negroes on a different day curse and **** the Reverend Alfred Sharpton for his hair-do, but know that WE know that policie brutality in our city is Waaaaaaaaay off the radar of our major concerns in this city... Why??? Because the slick-haired one put his chubby body on the line, and put the city on notice that it would cost them a lot of what they value most here - dollar bills... Now, those Black Elite in our city - yes, the same ones who conspired to oust and tear down the greatest Black politician this country has ever know, the late great Adam Clayton Powell - caint wait to do their photo-ops with Reverend Sharpton...

So, cutting to the chase on this post... Would that African people be more objective... Take not the high nor the low road on matters of this kind, but place yourself somewhere in the middle... From that vantage point, one can see that class is neither all good nor bad, but both... I have pointed out some bad things, and yet I know that our individual achievements are not necessarily BAD things... It is when we brag and boast and antagonize, and use what we've achieved as some kinda sledGEHAMMER to bludgeon one another, that we show, not only our personal insecurities, but a woeful lack of understanding about the damaging impact of class warfare among peoples of African descent... Remember, it was CLASS that set the Hutus to mass murdering their own brothers and sisters, the Tutsis...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't have time to respond the way I would like but very powerful post brother Isaiah.
    You are a thinker Isaiah and that is what we need more of in this era. People who think critically and can see the bigger picture.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    it seems to me that as soon as a black gets a lot of money they take it directly to the white retailers and buy overpriced goods which depreciate. cars, jewelry and such.
    those who are most prone to make the money seem to be those who will be the least prone to do anything constructive with it.
    i have often wondered if this is a coincidence.

4. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    This is a good piece that you've written. From reading some of the threads, I agree that we are too quick to judge each other and write each other off as being sellouts or dropouts or whatever. We need to take the time to try to understand more about each other.

A Black person's life is not so straightforward that we will agree with everything they do and say yet some of us find fault, judge, and execute each other on the spot. We don't even want to hear that there could be many internal and external forces pushing a Black person to say or do something in a racist world. If we were in that person's situation, we might even do even worst than he or she did.

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

James, I was thinking along the lines of class and class imagery... The thread regarding the Greek Sororities is also on my mind, as well as, the wonderful book on Black Chicago(Black Metropolis)penned during the Great Migration.

There is a sense I get that when there are issues with class implications, the class holding the upper rung has some great credibility that the lower class does not... That is wrong...

There is a sense I get that the Black Middle-Class is forever looking down, pitifully and sorrowfully, upon the Black lower and working-class, and beating it's breast whenever they "appear" to be extending "help" and their noble largesse to a community that should be eternally grateful to them... That is mad wrong, because I fail to see the Black Middle-Class actually helping anyone but their damned selves, despite their grand pronouncements... The proof of that is in the pudding... Where in hell are the businessess that these Black Middle-class folks have opened with their all their alleged resources??? And if these resources are just "alledged" resources, why are they frontin' so, and putting on a big show???

There is, also, a sense I get that the Black Middle-Class oft works dupliciitously with White Supremacy in maintaining the status quo, particularly when you hear a Bill Cosby making a speech to them that savages their lower-class brothers and sisters, and stand and disgracefully cheer wildly for the man, putting all of their educated ignorance on display for all the world to see...

There is a sense I get that we have adopted and been conditioned so thoroughly to the status quo of White Supremacy, that we believe that ANY so-called successful African person is a "credit to their race..." BULL!!!! Just because you have successfully navigated corporate america don't make you no success... How many ulcers, cancers, and tumors you got for your "success..." You 'bout deader than the cat behind the police tape with 5 to the dome... Additionally, how many Black folks lives and careers did you derail for massa??? How many school children did you destroy for massa??? How many poor Africans did you cheat out of their savings for massa??? As brother Oldies pointed out, how many liquor joints did you open with your middle-class money and education??? Is that what White Man's education taught'cha???

I'm focusing on the middle and upper-class because rarely are they scrutinized... It is assumed that all that they do is good, and great, and significant to the "race", and that's NONSENSE with a capital N! They skillfully divert the argument away from theseselves by saying that "you're tearing us down..." Some of them need to be torn down, and cast out - and so does this myth that they are doing us all some kinda favor... They aint - at least not all of 'em!

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Bisabee

Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like you don't approve of Black middle and upper class people. Are you saying that middle or upper classdom is a bad thing to strive to be?

7. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    For starters, we should define what is middle class. I see you are using the word "they" often when referring to this ambiguous group. This is such a vague term:

I think by default most of us (at least in this forum) fall somewhere in the middle. Why? Obviously we all have fairly consistent computer access, and unless we are college students (who generally live in poverty but quickly join the middle class upon graduation) or retired (who generally were a part of the middle class but now have lower income due to savings to maintain an adjusted lifestyle), chances are we are in this illusive "middle class." I don't think many of us can point fingers at others here.

It's all relative. If I lived in the South, I may be considered upper class but on the east coast, the cost of living is so different that if I moved to NY I'd probably be on the poverty line. Then we have to consider that the so-called lower class in America (as overwhelmingly Black as it may be), in no way compares to the poverty in other countries. We think poor is only having enough kool-aid for 6 out of 7 days of the week, a color TV, DVD player, and Escalade in the projects.

So what are we really talking about? I know self-righteous hypocrisy is an issue, and can be exhibited by Black folks regardless of income level. Those who have the means to do something for themselves can either (A) take on the republican mantra of "I got mine, now you gotta get yours" (B) dedicate their time, resources, and money to serving their people who don't have what they have, or (C) fall somewhere in the middle, which I believe most of us do. As revolutionary as we think we are, most of us are sitting in front of computers at jobs right now working for white folks logging on to Destee.com during breaks. (or maybe that's just me :))

Even if we have our own businesses, we serve our customers and pay taxes like everyone else. We may employ people, but who are our suppliers? Are they Black? Are we importing from Africa and engaging in international commerce as an independent people would? How many small business owners shop at Wal-mart/BJs/Sam's Club? Is this really independence?

Sure, there are outright Uncle Tom Step-n-Fetch It knee-grows that can be called out for exploiting Black people or not giving anything back to the community. So what are we going to do about it?

Right now we are all somewhere in the middle, biding our time. Unless and until we decide to make a real separation from our open enemy, first mentally and then physically (i.e. free your mind and your behind will follow), none of us can point fingers at one another.

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Sister Uplift, this is a great post, and somewhat answers Sister Bisabees question as it pertains to what I feel about this... However, I am going to elaborate a bit to clarify...

Sister Bisabee, I am going to ask you to re-read both of my posts on the topic... If, perhaps, you see yourself as Middle-Class, you might be offended by what I said, but I would contend that there are those who say, Yeah, that's true of some, but does not apply to me... When you take that position, then you cannot conclude that I am saying it's bad to be middle or any other class...

I am saying the middle and the upper class is NEVER criticized for their milquetoast behavior... Their "achievements" allow them to slither under the radar... The poor and working class are blamed for all that ails Black America, but the milquetoast, do zip leadership that mostly hails from the educated middle-class is never talked about... Their failure to educate our children, and to employ them in any meaningful way, is never addressed... If being middle-class is so awesome, then how come these middle-class Africans have so little to show for this shining achievement???(smile!)

In other words, my sister Bisabee, I think it is wonderful to BE middle-class without all of the effrontery and boasting about it... Again, we are talking about BEING a thing, not hiding behind what it allegedly represents... In simply talk, walk the walk, show and prove...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    there is a class war in america and the upper class is winning............

10. Bisabee

Ratings:
    +6
    If I were middle or upper class, I would never admit it now. lol

Seriously, if anyone has strong feelings against middle and upper class people, isn't it more like thinking that the grass is greener? My father owned a business when he was more active and I pretty much run what's left of it now. He dealt with all income levels of people and the fact is that life is not easy for any class of people. Each class faces unique challenges. Despite that, some of the people with more money think that lower income people have it made and some lower income people look at the other classes and think the same. This is why I said above that none of us should be so quick to judge.