Black Relationships : Black Male Shortage - Myth or Reality?

KWABENA

STAFF
STAFF
Jun 10, 2004
Everywhere
Occupation
Leader-Student-Teacher
Lovelee said:
I'm not sure where all the postive Black man have gone, but I sure do pray the they return soon.
Be specific. What would you describe as a "positive Black Man?"

toylin

May 17, 2004
Michigan
Occupation
Security Guard
I don't think there is a shortage of Black men. It just depends on what you are looking for. Now, if all Black women are looking for some six foot 2 tall, Tyson Beckford look alike PhD, then yeah, alot of us will be disappointed. It amazes sometimes that we as women sometimes overlook decent, positive brothers because: "He's not tall enough." "He's not cute enough." "He doesn't make enough money to support me." "He doesn't have a degree." "He has kids." "He lives with his mother." Blah blah blah blah. The first rule is never judge a book by it's cover.

kente417mojo

Jan 22, 2004
That's true Toylin. You'll hear some women say stuff like "I want a man that makes good money, good looking, nice to me, not too soft, not cheap, nice car, own house, no kids, very social, will take care of me and is good in bed". Then you ask her, well, what do you do for a living...and she says..."Oh, I'm a student." Like any man like that would want to hook up with a student. No disrespect to students of course. Come on!! Give me a break. There are good men out there but if you can nab one maybe it's because they're "good men" not "stupid-blind men". Anyways, since when do all those things make you a good man? Some women wouldn't know a good man if he was hanging outside their window with a sign on that says "good man". :help:

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
toylin said:
I don't think there is a shortage of Black men. It just depends on what you are looking for. Now, if all Black women are looking for some six foot 2 tall, Tyson Beckford look alike PhD, then yeah, alot of us will be disappointed. It amazes sometimes that we as women sometimes overlook decent, positive brothers because: "He's not tall enough." "He's not cute enough." "He doesn't make enough money to support me." "He doesn't have a degree." "He has kids." "He lives with his mother." Blah blah blah blah. The first rule is never judge a book by it's cover.
Very well stated sister Toylin...and very true!

stepup

Jul 8, 2004
As a black man with different views than the norm I must disagree and agree. I disagree b/c I think there is a shortage of black men, while at the same time there is not shortage of black men; the problem is many black men are not the kind that would make a suitable husband.

The problem is bountiful....
Bad parenting
No morals
No self respect
No responsibility
the list could take all night but I am sure you ladies and gentlemen get my point.

However, at the same time this interracial crap...well that should not be an option. To me that is a slap in the face whether the offending party is male or female.

There are options, one was suggested I believe (this is a long thread) multiple partners (wives that is). It is unfortunate that many sisters think of it as something the man will benefit from. You fail to realize where the one man and one woman marriage idea even came from. Yet we wonder why some many people cheat (not excusing it just stating a fact)..well I have said enough I expect to get flamed so I'll wait for the burns...

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Yummy0 wrote on jamesfrmphilly's profile.
Hello to you dear, how are you doing ?
Yummy0 wrote on 1poetsought's profile.
Yummy0 wrote on chuck's profile.
Yummy0 wrote on jamesfrmphilly's profile.