Black Men : black male image

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Isys, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Isys

Isys Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    hello to all, i am new and this is my first post and this is a topic that is very dear to myself.

Before I begin my topic, let me say this: I LOVE BLACK MEN. I AM IN LOVE WITH BLACK MEN. ANYTHING THAT I SAY ABOUT OR IN DEFENSE OF BLACK MEN CMES FROM THE HEART.

I am deeply concerned with the black male image. Over the years, it seems to deteriorate at a fast past rate. I wrote a paper back in when I was in school and I interviewed brothers of all ages and I did my research and I have come to find out that quite a few of us are buying into this "macho/beat a b*tch up/ type man.

It seems like if a brother is laid back, he is considered slick and untrustworthy or in some cases, not man enough because the thug in him is not evident.

why do we have to buy into these pre-selected tyoes of behaviors to choose from?

2. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Greetings Isys...

I am so sorry that, that is what your research has showed you... Remember young ladies today are not just dealing with pear pressure. But the media as well. And remember what the Media wants to portray us as. My take on this is the best thing we as adults can do is talk to the young folk and let them know that they are better then that and show them that they deserve better then that. Lead by example.

lilpea:1on1:

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Isys,

Welcome to Destee.com and enjoy your stay and your Black Man:). You have asked an excellent question, and Brother lilpea has given the correct solution. My focus is bent more toward a direct cause to the question:

why do we have to buy into these pre-selected tyoes of behaviors to choose from?

Across the board, all media venues, are largely responsible for us, as you say, buying into the pre-selected hype. Since all forms of media are distorted and slanted in some bias way or another, the degradation of our images continues, especially the Black Male image.

It is why this site, Destee.com even exists, such that we have the freedom of expression, and the ability to change the stereotypes..........Peace Sister.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    It is so often that younger women fall into this faze of there perfect love is a thuggish type male
    moreso for protection only to become there victim the media hype a lot of this stuff up
    along side the peer presure of friends so often we get caught up in the funk of things
    a real man stands his ground and yet be a gentleman to his queen
    a lot of what we discover is not always full truth of a brother / men moreso the lable that
    has been place'd against us.....I agree we need to build a better and stronger image
    but not to where we treat our sisters / women badly to prove we are man
    most women buy into the hype or what the media protray the choice is still yours to make
    just so many forget to apply there own choices ....

5. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30

Its very unfortunate, but many woman ( or probably better phrashed as girls) who have underdeveloped minds, fall into the hype that the media and society present. A weak minded person, doesnt create choices for themselves...they allow someone else to make choices for them. And that is where the problem lies....a soft mind, that has not ripened.

A soft mind, will fall for anything. It is very susceptible and moldable. And since a soft mind is not ripened to make concrete decisions, it follows the crowd not even knowing why. Which is why girls fall for thugs...cas their friends are doing it. A real woman, doesnt need approval of a peer group. And she is smart enough to know, that a life with a thug, is no life at all.

A real woman wants balance. A gentlemen who is compassionate, but who has a strong backbone. Not too hard, and not too soft. Too hard is a thug, and too soft gets no respect. I hope I didnt venture off subject...I believe I answered the question as to "why do we buy into these pre-selected types of behaviors".

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

The Black Male Image in the American Mind

December 6, 2010 | by Rashid Shabazz
    I recently spoke with Robert Entman, J.B. and M.C. Shapiro Professor of Media and Public Affairs and Professor of International Affairs at The George Washington University, about negative stereotypes of African Americans in the media. He is author of The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America.

Your book is groundbreaking in its examination of why African Americans continue to face negative portrayals in the media. What are a few of the key factors for this phenomenon?

The factors are multiple. Perhaps most importantly, the media are driven by the need to make profits and that means great sensitivity to audience tastes and advertiser needs. The majority of the audience and an even greater proportion of the affluent audience is white; programmers and advertisers assume this audience dislikes too much presence, or the unexpected counter-stereotype, of blacks.

I’m not entirely sure this is true, by the way. Most executives in media organizations are white and, as such, don’t understand the continuing force of racial discrimination in shaping blacks’ lives, relegating most tales of racism to the era before Martin Luther King. This includes the (overwhelmingly white) media critics in the print and electronic media who, my research suggests, remain uninterested in anything but the most overt racial stereotypes.​

complete article here: http://blog.soros.org/2010/12/the-black-male-image-in-the-american-mind/

7. Indian

Indian Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +95
    media is still racist

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

http://www.realhorizonsdlb.com/Products.html

A Black Man’s Worth! Conqueror and
    Head of Household
    by film producer
    Dwayne L. Buckingham is a thought-
    provoking and heart-felt documentary that
    journeys into the minds and souls of Black
    males who are forced to cope with the
    negative and disheartening
    consequences of growing up in fatherless
    households.

It explores the psychological, personal,
    social and economic effects of this harsh
    phenomenon and inspires Black males to
    conqueror it through self-reflection,
    personal accountability, spiritual growth
    and education. This inspiring film offers
    some practical insight about what it
    means to be a…Conqueror and Head of
    Household.

9. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Dear Isys,

I believe thattheanswer is simple, and amazingly enough, two white people I never met gave the answer to me - zig ziglar and Dr. Ellen Kriedman.

Your mind believes what you tell it the most.

If you watch tell-lie-vision, listen to the radio, listen to negative thinking peers and family members, all of whom feed you black male image deteriorating statements over time, you will believe what is constantly told to you, and be willing to die for that belief. Many of us end up investing our faith (personal power) into those those false beliefs without ever learning to challenge them and to take oour faith out of false beliefs.

10. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Lol Most of the replies on this thread seems to be 3 years late. The image that the sista has written about is the one crafted by white American media in our community . She would have to travel more to get a better image of Black men.