Black People : Black Love

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by CarrieMonet, Aug 13, 2004.

1. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    When in comes to Black Sexuality/Love I believe there is a degree of fear involved from the media. The only honest depiction of our Love (or love stories) comes from within our community, in the form of black filmakers, and very rarely in the mainstream. When white filmakers do show black love, it's surrounded by violence or it appears very animalistic.

Do you think the issue of black love has been properly explored via the media (news, books, movies)?

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think that madia wants to show black love unless it has negativity surrounding it. Like the only way we can find love is in the midst of drug dealing and gang-banging. I love the movie "Love Jones" because it shows very intelligent, young, artistic, driven, caring black folks finding love. And that's what it's all about. That's our reality. Not all black people can relate to drug dealing, gang-banging and prison stories.

3. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    hmmm, I can't download that link at work.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The media is definately hesitant to show black love and positive black relationships. This comes not only from visual media, but print also. The media makes a concentrated effort to display black people at their worst in every aspect of their lives. This is why it is important for black media to show an alternative.

6. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    the only time main stream media (television especially) shows black love, is when it's accompanied by a laugh track. or if half of the relationship includes a white person (which basically means it's not black love)