Black People : Black Love = Unity

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Nov 13, 2002.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    The answer to all our ills is Love. We have to relearn to love ourselves and each other.
    We are not an inferior people: our history in this country is a testament to that. If our history of overcoming slavery and it's child Jim Crow; and JC's living and breathing grandchildren - racism, discrimination, and bigotry do not make you a believer, then nothing will... If we were so inferior there would be no need for that family.
    We just went a little off course... it is up to us to get back...
    We can do everything that we need to keep progressing ourselves.... the only reparations we need are the ones we can give to ourselves; America has this "unpaid" bill, but no loves I'm not selling my history for a couple of dollars or a few concessions that will not kill those kids listed above.....
    Malcolm learned that he didn't have to hate anyone to love himself; sadly today we have some who have found a niche; hate thyself, so that others may love you - that is a strange confliction; a sickness that we don't need piled upon the pathologies that we can eliminate...
    There are simple things that we can do to help ourselves and each other.... I say, never again...
    How about you?

2. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    welcome 2 the boards. although there is much n ur post that i disagree w (malcolm, reparations), i certainly c the value of blk luv & unity, which is the theme of ur post. i think most ppl embrace unity n principle, but implementation is where the difficulty comes n.

i enjoyed reading ur thoughts. what r some of those little things u mention at the close of ur post?

3. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Doc... thanks for the reply; I stand by what I said about Macolm and Reparations. I think that you are correct; the problem is implementation.... or is it fear?
    I have written a manifesto about the simplicity of it... hit me up at [email protected] and I will gladly send you a copy.
    Doc, would reparations of any kind, render our ills nil and void?
    I say no. The only way to do that is from within... we almost got it right in the 60's and 70's - but lost our way, accepting some "concessions"....
    Thanks again....

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Happy69 ... Welcome to the Family ... :wave:

I do agree that we are not inferior. I can't help but think you may have mentioned that because I created the post "Black = Inferior" ... it wasn't meant to imply that I agreed with the calculation. I hope you read the thread inside, would love for you to reply to it as well.

I do think we are due compensation for the many years we (our ancestors) worked for none, not to mention Jim Crow, institutionalized and passive racism that continues today. I think money would certainly level the playing field. If it weren't such an equalizer they'd not have done everything they could to insure that they got it all ... and we got none.

I agree that we must do whatever we can to empower, encourage and love ourselves. I think our doing that has a great deal to do with us still being here, in spite of the poor shape some of us may be in. Victory is still, right now, ours.

I too would love to hear some of the simple things we could do right now to continue helping ourselves.

Again, thanks for joining us and please make yourself at home.

:heart:

Destee

5. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Destee:
    Thanks for the reply. No, I neither seen nor seen your thread, black=inferior; but it does sound interesting. But, yes, I do believe that if not consciously, then unconsciously, a part of us does believe in our own inferiority.

We don't seem to explore the "power" that we have.
    Some of us want to think that if someone's numbers are larger than ours then we lose something - We lose nothing, as a matter of fact it can work to our advantage... no one seems to want to explore that.

The educational system has failed. It failed a long time ago... no one seems to want to explore throwing out of the curriculum; computers (at the right time, and in their proper place, computers are an excellent thing); we have to get back to basics; reading by rote; basic english; and math... whole language failed, and they are still trying to make it work; throw out the idea of our color language as being inferior ( just when I think that I understand what they mean about "ebonics" the definition gets skewed again); and basic english, taught, in patterns like we who grew up in the 70's/80's can correct that, we know how we talk when we are together; and it is wonderful - why do you think everyone tries to use them; why do you think you have "journalists" or rather "pundits" in their 40's and 50's trying to talk it? Because it is not inferior; or unable to be understood;... but we always want to fall for the inferiority complexes... and let what we create and invent be co-opted... freely...

We are a little sick right now; this sickness we have the cure for; and that is love... we want to get back on our feet as a community.... we hand to go at it hand in hand... you open a business, you compete with fair pricings and good service; I buy from you.... that is money that stays in our community....
    We recognize the beauty in our community; we are all colors and all hair textures; and all *** sizes, etc.,,, (smile)... you just have to open up your eyes and see.... God gave us all kinds of things... showing us... we are blind.... and we own our own; and we freely let go those who choose not to be apart of us.... go; if there is a confliction that someone has, we are and have to be strong enough in us, and ourselves to say, "that is "their" problem, they have to deal with it, it is another "infirmaty" (and we have too many); they will have to deal with it, not us... not me and not mine...
    We have to become our own friends...

Sorry about the rant Destee, but sometimes I get going....
    You are correct, we are not an inferior people, and sense it seems that what we do, and how we do matters... I'd say we are a superior people...

I'm looking for love, my friends... pure and simple... we act like it is a weakness, the way in which we love; the intensity of it... and we always let it show up as pain - that is why we fight each other, that is why we have to hurt each other; that is why we are killing each other... we love too hard...
    I was walking past some young men and women one day (I'm 33); they were teenagers; and one guy, all chocolate and barechested beautiful made an inappropriate remark about one of the young ladies, and I stared at him, he put his head down, and mumbled something (like, what the *** that ***** lookin' at); you know? I went over to them, and I just got all over them about that bs; and they just couldn't look at me; and got on them about hurting each other and themselves... to feel like they are loving each other (yes, this is our pathology... we shield our love by showing contempt and hate; and living with the hard words in our chests forever);at the end I said and meant, I love you all; you cannot change it...
    The chocolate Romeo, took my bags, apologized to the girl and everyone; I swear the kid looked as if he wanted to cry... he pulled his shirt from his back pocket (trying to look cool and it was getting cold outside); "I don't know why I do that sometimes, ma'am... I don't know." I told him, his name is James Ford Jr (he is called Jay), stop it. He got a job as a bag boy at the fruitstand down the street... He looks happy, he even looks taller...
    I'm not saying that just getting on him about what he was doing changed anything,... maybe it had some affects...
    I'm just saying we don't seem to want to try. So what if we fail?
    Hasn't "hating" each other failed?

I'm just trying to reach for my people...

6. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry about the misspellings.... it happens please forgive me.

some corrections (LOL) infirmity; since; oh hell, I have to go

peace!

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Happy69 ... I'm feeling you on the love thang.

No, we are not inferior, but I can see why many of us think we might be. For generations and generations we have been bombarded with this message and treatment that coincides with it. At every turn we have had to take the lowest paying jobs (or not be employed at all). We've had to fight for "rights" that come without effort for others. Prisons are overwhelmingly filled with us (criminals, social rejects), more than any other race in this country. We see and hear "black male stats" wanted on the evening news most every night. I'm sure you know I could go on and on. With images like this forever surrounding us, it can't help but weigh heavily on one's own self-worth. Even if we believe we are at the very least, equal to all others, there's no evidence of this except in our own hearts and minds. Unfortunately, many black folk themselves believe the hype and tell other black folk how little they are worth (*****, ho, *****, etc.), so much so that many have embraced these terms and consider them acceptable. The effort to make us less than equal to all others has been going on since the first black person ever stepped foot in America, and it's still going on. It's going to take much effort for us to overcome these assaults. Our work is cut out because we've got to overcome while still going through, like baling water out of a boat that has a hole in it. The challenge isn't as great as in times past though, we can be thankful for that, but it is a challenge just the same. Then again, it may be more of a challenge because the further we move from that time when it was the law of the land to treat us like animals, the more we forget and relax (and unfortunately, the less younger generations know of these times).

In regard to exploring the power that we have, all of us are not healing at the same pace as others. They may not have had the same "medication" that others had, which allowed them to heal "quicker." We must be patient with them, providing large doses of that medication.

I love ebonics!!!! Chile don't get me started on that! :)

Yes, our community is weak, it has and continues to sustain ongoing, devasting assaults. I think it is love that has kept it alive. I don't think the love has been lacking or in short supply. I think with "grenades" dropped on us on every side, at every moment throughout history, love for each other has sustained us, and it will be love that sees us through.

I admire your courage and determination to walk up to a group of young folk and encourage them to talk to each other better. I'm sure you know in this day and time that could be a deadly move. The community is sick, especially the children, one is taking their life in their own hands to address strangers in this way. I'm glad it turned out so positive for you, but I don't know that I would have done the same thing.

No need to apologize for ranting (or anything), that's what we do here :) Get it all out, share with us, for there is much love here and many that will embrace you ... even if we aren't healing in the same exact way, at the same exact pace (not to mention some don't even realize they're sick).

:heart:

Destee

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    welcome to da house dear one and Destee u said it all here
    in agreement !

9. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Rich and Destee and all,
    Thanks for the welcome. I truly appreciate it.
    Destee, yes, we are a little sick; but I do believe that we are starting to heal...yes, in differing ways... I just hope that it doesn't take us too long to realize that the best medicine for us-- people's whose love has been used and abused for so long that we have in turn muted it-- is to give it to ourselves... each other...

Just to let you all know; I do not advocate hate for others... or anything along that line; I just think that we have to learn to give most of it at home...

Again, I don't want to seem too dramatic, but I love you all... I hope that you don't mind.

Peace and Thanks...

10. PositiveMindset

PositiveMindset Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +14
    THIS is healing. Sites like this, discussions like this. It's good to understand others points of view and we have got to begin somewhere to get to where we're going.

Peace.