Black Short Stories : Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors debuts new book about oppression and activism

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,537
    :great:

Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors debuts new book about oppression and activism
    BY MJ FRANKLIN

... Since the monumental activist movement was created in 2013 by Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi, Black Lives Matter has called attention to systems that keep Black communities oppressed, including mass incarceration and police violence. The movement gained national attention as it protested the acquittal of George Zimmerman after the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin, and the 2014 killing of Michael Brown, and the 2014 killing of Tamir Rice.

http://mashable.com/2018/01/17/mash...mpaign=Feed:+Mashable+(Mashable)#vh5mAJlqQmqn

Activist Patrisse Cullors sets the record straight about Black Lives Matter in new book

"The story of Black Lives Matter starts before Black Lives Matter. The story of Black Lives Matter, for me, starts with my childhood."
    mashable.com

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,537
    'I grew up in a war zone': Black Lives Matter's Patrisse Khan-Cullors on racism in America
    [​IMG]

Elena Sheppard
    Yahoo Lifestyle

... Recalling a moment she witnessed when her brothers were only 11 and 13, Khan-Cullors writes that police officers “throw them up on the wall. They make them pull their shirts up, they make them turn out their pockets.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gre...se-khan-cullors-racism-america-215852969.html

'I grew up in a war zone': Black Lives Matter's Patrisse Khan-Cullors on racism in America

Patrisse Khan-Cullors — the co-founder of Black Lives Matter and author of "When They Call You a Terrorist" — speaks with Yahoo Lifestyle.
    yahoo.com

3. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,540
    This is where BLM lose my vote of confidence:

We’ve created a superhero of MLK, and we’ve created his legacy to be fully about him versus about hundreds of people who stood up for civil rights for Black people. I think that part of this generation is challenging the idea of who’s supposed to be at the helm of a movement,