Black People Politics : Black Lives Matter 13 Guiding Principles

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Inanna, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Inanna

Inanna Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +124
    1. Diversity-We are committed to acknowledging, respecting and celebrating difference(s) and commonalities

2. Globalism-We see ourselves as part of the global Black family and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black folk who exist in different parts of the world

3. Black Women-We are committed to building a Black women affirming space free from sexism, misogyny, and male‐centeredness

4. Black Villages-We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, and especially “our” children to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable

5. Loving Engagement-We are committed to embodying and practicing justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another

6. Restorative Justice-We are committed to collectively, lovingly and courageously working vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension all people. As we forge our path, we intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting

7. Collective value-We are guided by the fact all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status or location

8. Empathy-We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts

9. Queer Affirming-We are committed to fostering a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking or, rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual unless s/he or they disclose otherwise

10. Unapologetically black-We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a necessary prerequisite for wanting the same for others

11. Transgender affirming-We are committed to embracing and making space for trans brothers and sisters to participate and lead. We are committed to being self-reflexive and doing the work required to dismantle cis-gender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence

12. Black families-We are committed to making our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We are committed to dismantling the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” that require them to mother in private even as they participate in justice work

13. Intergenerational-We are committed to fostering an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, shows up with capacity to lead and learn

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

Do you agree with these guidelines? How do traditional Christians view these guidelines? Do they still support the movement?

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Are these the latest? Reparations isn't listed.

https://destee.com/threads/new-webs...y-to-people-of-color.87333/page-2#post-962311

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    black lives matter should be about one thing only : stop killing black people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    7. Collective value-We are guided by the fact all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status or location​

This principle seems to be incomplete... "we are guided by the fact all Black lives...." what?
    Probably something that they just didn't return to update.

Also, notice what the first three items mentioned after the "regardless of" are.

We can support these women and their movement, as all things grow from a source of something and branch out, not necessarily that it becomes something that everyone has to support 100% and 100% of the time.

This is their movement (the three women that started the hashtag phrase/site), so it is what it is.

But the things that many have been pointing out for a long time is that this movement is not relative to male based issues, aside from police harassment and violence... which interestingly isn't mentioned with the vigor (meaning I couldn't find it) of the other principled issues.

So some men may balk at it as being a pro-feminist/lesbian movement in disguise.

Throughout the complete list of these guiding principles, men/male/masculinity are left out.
    Understandably so, but this makes it seem that masculinity is directly connected to misogamy and is in opposition to the other principles.

Here are a few of the key phrases or words that are mentioned within the principles...

• Black Women
    • free from... sexism
    • free from... misogyny
    • free from... male‐centeredness
    • freeing ourselves from... heteronormative thinking
    • Queer Affirming
    • Transgender affirming
    • Cisgender privilege (akin to "white privilege"... context within the "gay is the new black" mindset)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3sqpbrwfs
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7FH7_66gRo

upload_2016-8-6_8-30-9.png

September 21, 1996: President Bill Clinton of the United States signs the Defense of Marriage Act into law, which bans the federal Government from recognizing same-sex unions

Consider the TV Show, Orange is the New Black as well...

• Black trans folk, especially Black trans women

• Black families --- We are committed to dismantling the patriarchal practice that requires mothers...

• We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure...
      and especially “our” children to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable
      • the term "fathers" is MIA, instead substituted with "parents"?... :10500:

72 Percent Of Black Kids Raised By Single Parent, 25% Overall In U.S.

One in four children in the United States is being raised by a single parent — a percentage that has been on the rise and is higher than other developed countries, according to a report released Wednesday.

Of the 27 industrialized countries studied by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the U.S. had 25.8 percent of children being raised by a single parent, compared with an average of 14.9 percent across the other countries.

In the African American community, 72 percent of Black children are raised in a single parent household.
    Sources:
    http://newsone.com/1195075/children-single-parents-u-s-american
    http://atlantablackstar.com/2012/12...an-children-are-raised-in-single-parent-homes
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...don-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ

Agreeing or disagreeing with these guidelines doesn't change the idea that this is a personal movement for those that desire to support the agenda of it.

I had a discussion with a co-worker years back, and the contrast between his idea of decreased property value because of same-sex couples as his neighbors versus a barking dog.

I considered the barking dog to be more disturbing than the same sex couple, where as he thought otherwise.

I take this same stance when it comes to people trying to design their own lanes in life.
    If it doesn't negatively or adversely interfere with my existence and well-being, as well at others that I may have connections with... make it do what it do, whether I can understand it or not.

Goes back to not feeling obligated to support 100% and 100% of the time.

Black Panther Party Platform and Program
    http://www.nathanielturner.com/blackpantherpartyplatpro.htm

Movement for Black Lives
    https://policy.m4bl.org/about/

M4BL platform better explains the agenda that the original guiding policies BLM did or does.

Black Lives Matter Releases List of Demands and Solutions
    http://www.complex.com/life/2016/08/black-lives-matter-releases-list-demands-solutions

Get in where you fit in

5. Inanna

United States
    Ratings:
    +124
  6. Inanna

United States
    Ratings:
    +124
    Agreed. I was very surprised their guidelines don't mention this, not even once.

7. Inanna

United States
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yes to me the guidelines seem overly pro-gay and pro-feminist. I couldn't believe black men/fathers weren't mentioned once but they go out of their way to show acceptance for queers and talk of black villages like that's better than a mother-father-child(ren) scenario.

What I don't see is how/why they felt the need to do that? LGBT has its own community and LGBT make up such a small percentage of us, why go out of the way to include them in a movement they didn't ask to be included in and why leave out black men while doing so?

Wasn't BLM started for Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown etc.? Something seems off to me.

8. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    If one hasn't already been made aware...
    LGBTQ created and fueled the initial hastag movement:

upload_2016-8-6_11-51-32.png

Trans and Queer # BlackLivesMatter
    January 5, 2015

As we plan our next action, some have congratulated Sarah Green, Tim Singratsomboune and me as Queer and Transgender activists of color in organizing what they’ve called a historic march.

I agree that the march was amazing and energizing, but I don’t look at it as creating history. We are building on an erased history of Queer and Transgender people of color working toward the liberation of our community.

We BEEN Here

Our actions have been in solidarity with the # BlackLivesMatter movement, which was created and led by three Black Queer women: Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi. Patrisse and Darnell L Moore led the national Freedom Ride to Ferguson, which took place last summer.

The bulk of the participants were Queer and Transgender people of color.​

Source:
    http://outlookcolumbus.com/2015/01/trans-and-queer-blacklivesmatter/

Celebrating MLK Day: Reclaiming Our Movement Legacy
    Mar 20, 2015

# BlackLivesMatter, a project started by three black women, two of whom are queer women and one who is a Nigerian-American, has opened up the political space for that new leadership, and as a result, a new movement to emerge. Black trans people, Black queer people, Black immigrants, Black incarcerated people and formerly incarcerated people, Black millennials, Black women, low income Black people, and Black people with disabilities are at the front, exercising a new leadership that is bold, innovative, and radical.​

Source:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/opal-tometi/reclaiming-our-movement-l_b_6498400.html

A HerStory of the # BlackLivesMatter Movement
    http://blacklivesmatter.com/herstory/

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
  10. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730

I guess I would have to think about them, because right off hand, I have some questions about some of these objectives. For example, in #12, What does "double shift" working requirement mean in regards to "patriarchal practices"? I am unaware of this practice. Is it stating that the American law and government has made it a requirement that mothers have to work DOUBLE SHIFTS or just during a certain circumstance?--such as Justice Work?

So, I suppose some of the young mothers that go out and join protest may need to take off in order to care for their children and the job requires that if they want time off, they can't have it, but have to work double shifts in order to be apart of 'Justice Work'? I'm scratching my head. I don't understand this one.

And then, "-We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement..."

What is the Western prescribed nuclear family structure requirement? Right off hand, my minds goes back to the beginning of this American government in how they concentrated on breaking up the Black Family Structure... So, now I am thinking, that 'Is this LBGT Movement' the result of what White Supremacy has done...? Did White America achieve their goal?

White America did not have anything to do with patriarchal family structure and they are the ones that broke it up. I guess I am confused about these objectives by this BLACK LIVES MATTER GROUP. Something seems wrong here, but I can't put my finger on it completely.

It sounds like these young kids might not be attacking White Power Structure but they are attacking something else. In sounds like they are wanting the American system to accommodate and accept them on a financial and social basis, but that too would be what most Black Americans want too, initially, I guess. I don't know, I have to think about this some more.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blacklivesmatter.com/guiding principles

2. 13 princples of black lives matter

3. the 13 princlples of black lives matter

4. 3 black lives matter principles,
  5. 13 guiding,
  6. 6 guiding princilples of black lives matter,
  7. black lives matter 12 guiding principles,
  8. 13 black people