Black Authors : Black literary magazine needs submissions

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by shesfab, Dec 26, 2010.

1. shesfab

shesfab Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm launching a new online literary magazine, Literally Black, with the sole purpose of showcasing Black authors, poets and artists. This lit mag is edited by a Black writer, will have a panel of Black readers, and only features the work of Black writers and artists. That's important to me because I know there is a ton of written and artistic talent in the Black community, but folks don't often get to see it.

The first issue goes live on February 1, 2011, and submissions will be taken from now through January 20, 2011. You can go to the official website, literallyblack.com , to see the guidelines and submit.

Submission is free, and the magazine will be free for everyone to read online. Literally Black will be published once per month. I'm looking for poetry, fictional short stories, creative non-fiction, essays, interviews and book reviews.

If you have any questions, my contact info is on the website!

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......Thanks and welcome to Destee.com shesfab, may take you up on that.

3. shesfab

shesfab Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    You're surely welcome to submit your work, and tell any other writers you know about the project too. I know we have a few lit mags that feature Black authors and artists out there, but most of them require a subscription...thus they're not widely known or read.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

.......Certainly, and I have already alerted the Group:)...Look for me by the deadline...Peace In,

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    sounds interesting.. but who are we submitting our work to? Who are you?
    Do you mind introducing yourself? My writing means a lot to me.. so, I need to know
    who I'm submitting my work to.. and.. are their any restrictions on content?.. or language.. ?

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Black literary magazine needs submissions

shesfab...Brother skuderjaymes makes excellent points which cannot be overlooked. Hopefully, you will make this a simple process so that continued forward progress can be made...looking for those answers soon.

7. shesfab

shesfab Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    This will be a bit long; apologies! I'll clarify the guidelines on the site later today, after I finish working. Let me know if you have more questions.

My pen name is Marie Dockett, and I'm a full-time freelance non-fiction writer and editor. I've written for the Houston Chronicle and their website Chron.com, YellowPages.com, Business.com, USA Today...again, all non-fiction.

The whole purpose of this is to expose Black writers and artists. We just don't have many lit mags that 1) other Black folks read or have access to, 2) feature Black writers at all.

In case anyone is wondering: I don't charge subscriptions to readers, and make no money from the site, so I don't pay writers for accepted submissions. If I ever figure out a way to make this profitable, then Literally Black can become a paying market.

Also: I don't retain anything but non-exclusive, one-time anthology rights to the piece. After your issue goes live, if you don't want your work archived, I won't archive it. At the end of the year when an anthology is released, no writer or artist's work will be included without them agreeing to it.

As for guidelines and content...

The work should be submitted in English, but if you have a few words thrown in that are of another language, that would be fine. For example, let's say you write a poem with the line (purely an example, remember, I'm a non fiction writer!), "My heart, my love, mi amour", that would be acceptable.

The subject of the piece needs to focus on the Black experience in some kind of way. Here are specific examples of what I mean: an interview with a Black up and coming actor; a book review of an anthology of Black dramas; a short story about Black love; a poem about the direction Hip Hop is headed; an essay about Black youth in politics.

Cursing in the piece is fine, but no erotic content.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Thanks shesfab, sounds good to me. No need to respond to my second post, and I'm eagerly awaiting skuderjaymes' response post...Peace In and thanks agan.

9. shesfab

shesfab Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Word count, rights, genre and content guidelines are on the website, but I'm going to add more/clarify later today.

To submit, all one has to do is follow the link on the site's "Submissions" page to Submishmash (which is free, you just have to create an account), paste in your cover letter and links, and upload your piece. I'm using Submishmash instead of having people email because the platform makes it easier when you're using a panel of readers; I won't have to email each submission to everyone.

If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to tell me.

ETA: I answered and posted this before I read your comment above!

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Not a problem shesfab, the more you post the better it seems :). Again, I will begin navigating your site and will keep you posted if I have any further questions...Peace In,