Black People Politics : Black Leadership Accountability Crucial

Shouldn't we hold them accountability for the state of Black America.
The CBC does not seem to want to acknoeledgd their roles as leaders. Some of their voting records are questionable.
I think we should hold the CBC accountable in and out of district.
In June of this year, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) introduced an amendment to halt the Pentagon's 1033 program, which distributes hundreds of millions of dollars of military-grade weapons and equipment to local police annually.
The amendment overwhelmingly failed, and just seven out of 41 voting members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) supported it.
7 is 7 to many.

By all means we should hold them accountable for the state of Black America, which was the essence of my last post.

As far as in and out of their districts, they should be held accountable for not promoting the undying efforts of Congressman John Conyers' H.R. 40 bill.

For example, has your state rep., John Lewis made his support known for the divisive H. R. 40?

What is Lewis' position on reparations?

At first, many Blacks considered President Barack Obama an icon beyond reproach. Increasingly, however, the need for greater presidential accountability surfaced. But it skirted an equally important long-standing issue: A lack of accountability by Black elected and other leaders that reflects the Black community’s conditioned reluctance to hold its leaders accountable. Traditional self-serving leadership has proven to be extremely hazardous for the Black community.

Initially, Blacks considered challenging Obama’s decisions sacrilegious, and more than a few continued to regard him as a hero beyond criticism. Although dissatisfied with some of his decisions, they did not demand he be held accountable. Leadership accountability is more important than ever, since 21st challenges now include a dangerously narcissistic U. S. president.

Read more

https://lasentinel.net/black-leadership-accountability-crucial-2.html

I agree that some black people didn't want to criticize Obama, but there were also others who expected Obama to be MLK, Malcolm X, and Jesus all rolled into one. They had unrealistic expectations of what he could do and wanted to hold him accountable for stuff that he wasn't directly responsible for.

For example, I had someone ask me, "Why hasn't Obama done anything to fix the violence in Chicago?" I said, "You do realize Chicago has a mayor, a city council, a chief of police, a local school board, a state's attorney general, a state's supreme court, 2 senators, multiple congressmen, etc. These are the people who are DIRECTLY responsible for the city of Chicago and the state it's in. They need to be held accountable FIRST, before you even get to Obama.

As far as reparations, I never gave a thought to where Obama stood on it because I know that it isn't something he or anybody else could get passed through congress, not as long as we're only 14% of the population and an even smaller percentage of those in power. It would need the support of a large percentage of whites, and even the most liberal of white liberals don't support it, so it's really a mute point. Makes for great conversation, but let's be honest, as of right now, reparations is nothing more than a pipe dream.

When you say "leader" who are you referring to?

I agree, we must hold our leaders accountable. First, we have to identify who these leaders are and if every Black person agree on the same Leaders.
Personally, on the political side, I view the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) as Our leaders. Many of these Black senators have been setting in office for decades and have no loyalty to their constituents.

Yes, people will disagree on who our leaders are. IMO, "AA leaders" who should be held accountable would be.... those who benefit from our support and are in positions to be able to design and develop strategies and tactics that would empower AA people.

Something like that.

I agree that some black people didn't want to criticize Obama, but there were also others who expected Obama to be MLK, Malcolm X, and Jesus all rolled into one. They had unrealistic expectations of what he could do and wanted to hold him accountable for stuff that he wasn't directly responsible for.

For example, I had someone ask me, "Why hasn't Obama done anything to fix the violence in Chicago?" I said, "You do realize Chicago has a mayor, a city council, a chief of police, a local school board, a state's attorney general, a state's supreme court, 2 senators, multiple congressmen, etc. These are the people who are DIRECTLY responsible for the city of Chicago and the state it's in. They need to be held accountable FIRST, before you even get to Obama.

As far as reparations, I never gave a thought to where Obama stood on it because I know that it isn't something he or anybody else could get passed through congress, not as long as we're only 14% of the population and an even smaller percentage of those in power. It would need the support of a large percentage of whites, and even the most liberal of white liberals don't support it, so it's really a mute point. Makes for great conversation, but let's be honest, as of right now, reparations is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Exactly. I agree with every point you made. I wish we could have a "do-over".

*smile*

We were so not ready for Obama (or any AA) to win, that we didn't even know how to respond. Well, we learned a lot over these last 8 years.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back