Black People Politics : Black Leadership Accountability Crucial

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    At first, many Blacks considered President Barack Obama an icon beyond reproach. Increasingly, however, the need for greater presidential accountability surfaced. But it skirted an equally important long-standing issue: A lack of accountability by Black elected and other leaders that reflects the Black community’s conditioned reluctance to hold its leaders accountable. Traditional self-serving leadership has proven to be extremely hazardous for the Black community.

Initially, Blacks considered challenging Obama’s decisions sacrilegious, and more than a few continued to regard him as a hero beyond criticism. Although dissatisfied with some of his decisions, they did not demand he be held accountable. Leadership accountability is more important than ever, since 21st challenges now include a dangerously narcissistic U. S. president.

Read more

https://lasentinel.net/black-leadership-accountability-crucial-2.html

Black Leadership Accountability Crucial - Los Angeles Sentinel

At first, many Blacks considered President Barack Obama an icon beyond reproach.
    lasentinel.net

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,828
    'AN ICON BEYOND REPROACH'

"Challenging Obama's decisions sacreligious'

'A HERO BEYOND CRITISM'...

What a shame, and I would not be surprised if this stems from people who say they are Christians too.

I just read an article about Ta-Nehisi Coates who interviewed Obama in December 2016, a month after elections and Trump won. And he completely DROPPED US... again, on the issue of Reparations. he said, it wouldn't be fair to Latinos and other foreigners if we got reparations. That hurt so bad.

It burns inside of me.

WE'VE BEEN DROPPED.

I know I shouldn't be shocked, but I am. I am stunned. How can Obama say that. Before he came the Hispanics didn't even come as much as they did, when he became president. They mostly voted Republican, but they split during his election, because they knew they could come in, and now we are definitely affected. Wow. We are locked in between Trump shouting against immigration and what Obama did. I don't agree with going against immigration, but the flood that came in after Obama became president hit hard, in regards to us, in my opinion because it was planned. I lost my job in a terrible way, discrimination, and it was given to an immigrate, and at that time, I knew it was planned. So, Trumps dealings with Immigration is not good for us, but neither was Obama's allowing them in through a flood gate.

3. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284

I think holding our leaders accountable means actively participating in the political arena from the beginning to the end, as opposed to the "wait and see" attitude that we have. Accountability can't mean just wait until the dust settles and complain.

The groups who faired best are those who applied pressure continuously, from the beginning to the end. The ones who
    just wouldn't go away. We voted and went away, putting all the burden on Obama. It doesn't work that way. Obama has to answer to others and he needed us to be behind him in order to make change. JMO

4. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,828
    I understand your position on 'actively participating in the political arena' and I agree with that, even from the groups like the religious organizations as well that do or do not believe in voting. It is vital for groups to actively hold these politicians accountable. Groups like 'the Amish' that don't vote, still came to America and therefore, they should not just have a free ride. If this government is harming people's human rights, no one should sit on the side lines. No one.

5. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    When you say "leader" who are you referring to?

I agree, we must hold our leaders accountable. First, we have to identify who these leaders are and if every Black person agree on the same Leaders.
    Personally, on the political side, I view the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) as Our leaders. Many of these Black senators have been setting in office for decades and have no loyalty to their constituents.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,743

No such person(s) exists that every black person would agree with.

7. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    Agree. Do you consider the CBC to be our Black Leaders?
    John Lewis is my State Rep.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,743

Yes, the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) is a form of leadership, but remember, they are electoral politicians kept in office through their State constituents and therefore limited.

For example, Congressman John Conyers first introduced bill H.R. 40 (Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-American Act) in January, 1989 and ever year thereafter. If the CBC were real leaders, their constituency would know about H. R. 40, and we black folk in the public would get behind Conyers with full force ... Well, that hasn't happened, in fact, very few even know about Conyers' undying effort with the bill.

9. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    Shouldn't we hold them accountability for the state of Black America.
    The CBC does not seem to want to acknoeledgd their roles as leaders. Some of their voting records are questionable.

In June of this year, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) introduced an amendment to halt the Pentagon's 1033 program, which distributes hundreds of millions of dollars of military-grade weapons and equipment to local police annually.
    The amendment overwhelmingly failed, and just seven out of 41 voting members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) supported it.
    7 is 7 to many.
    I think we should hold the CBC accountable in and out of district.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,469
    FWIW : the CBC is up for a vote every two years.....