Black Money Business Jobs : Black Job Applicants Change ‘Black-Sounding’ Names,Awards and Organizations to Bypass Discrimination

Chidike

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 21, 2016
Now of course we don't and shouldn't get discriminated against...... but i'm not going to purposely change my name just to appease them like some "good little slave". Its like trying to make the oppressor comfortable, so we can get some scraps........

9-28-Getty-Job-Fair-300x218.jpg

http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/03...s-and-organizations-to-bypass-discrimination/

A study conducted by researchers at the University of Toronto has confirmed something that many Black people have suspected for a long time. Employers discriminate against job applicants with “Black” sounding names.

According to The Guardian, researchers showed that when Black applicants “whitened” their resumes, it doubled the chances of receiving callbacks. The two-year study was recently published in theAdministrative Science Quarterly journal. The researchers sent 1,600 fictional resumes to employers in 16 American cities. They found that 25 percent of Black job applicants who whitened their resumes received callbacks. However, when applicants did not alter their resumes only 10 percent received callbacks.

According to Sonia Kang, co-author of the study and assistant professor at the University of Toronto Mississauga, the study also found Asian students whitening their resumes. However, Black and Asian students had different ways of doing this. Black students were more likely to remove references to Black organizations from their resumes. Asian students changed their names to American-sounding ones.

A Black law student told the researchers she did this practice so she could get her foot in the door at a potential employer.

“If I have an African name or if I’m like president of the African American Society or something, if that’s on my resume, they automatically know my ethnicity,” she said. “And because of that, if I have the same credentials as someone of another race, let’s say a white person, then they would get a callback over me. So if from the beginning they don’t know my race . . . then I’m more likely to get a callback.”

Part of the problem is stereotyping, which is often aided by the media. When people see names like Lakeisha or Tyrone, they carry a connotation which is not always true. Crime stories, which dominate the media, often focus on Black criminals, even though white people also commit violent crime. And reality shows are also a problem. Many of these heavily edited shows, such as Love & Hip Hop and Basketball Wives, focus on Black women behaving outrageously for the cameras. Unfortunately, many white people believe what they see.

Some Black people have bought into this stereotyping. Raven-Symoné, a co-host on The View who is infamous for infuriating Black people with her media gaffes, caught flack last year when she admitted that she wouldn’t hire an applicant with a Black-sounding name.

Kang said racial minorities shouldn’t have to hide their cultural backgrounds just so they can get a job.

“Some people have found that whitening helps, but I think that the larger message is that it shouldn’t be up to minorities to find ways to avoid discrimination,” she said in an interview with The Guardian. “It’s really a wake-up call for organizations to do something to address this problem. Discrimination is still a reality.”

DUH!!!!!!

This has been known for years

DUH!!!!!!

This has been known for years

True, nothing new, but still very sad. I think that due to the political correctness movement that started full force back in the 80s, it fostered a more hypersensitive American society, especially among younger Blacks that want to pursue jobs in white corporate America. Raven Symone, as harsh and ignorant as it was, said what a lot of people--Black and white--think. Some of our Black youth think they will be stigmatized by their cultural names, probably went through school being laughed at and as adults seeking employment in predominately white professional settings, want to "hide" and eliminate any potential discrimination prior to being seen as a legitimate job applicant. But we don't hear of children of Hippies, who are primarily white, changing their names to avoid discrimination in the job market. Probably because Hippies are running the corporations now and have given up on the notion to "fight the establishment" and have become more like their parents as they age.

True, nothing new, but still very sad. I think that due to the political correctness movement that started full force back in the 80s, it fostered a more hypersensitive American society, especially among younger Blacks that want to pursue jobs in white corporate America. Raven Symone, as harsh and ignorant as it was, said what a lot of people--Black and white--think. Some of our Black youth think they will be stigmatized by their cultural names, probably went through school being laughed at and as adults seeking employment in predominately white professional settings, want to "hide" and eliminate any potential discrimination prior to being seen as a legitimate job applicant. But we don't hear of children of Hippies, who are primarily white, changing their names to avoid discrimination in the job market. Probably because Hippies are running the corporations now and have given up on the notion to "fight the establishment" and have become more like their parents as they age.

When will we learn, we aren't white?

Although this phenomena surely still exists, I think Oprah, Barack and Condoleeza, et. al., may have made it just a little bit easier on generations to come.

But, having a name that is phonetically spelled correct might help.

I wouldn't suggest changing your name or your resume though, because, in the end, you'd have to work with these people. If they have this kind of mindset, you'd be better off working with someone else.

My son's first name is African inspired.... though white folk don't recognize it as so. His middle name is African. His last name is a "slave name". It is up to him whether he wants to use his middle name, his middle initial, or reference it at all.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back