Black People Politics : Black Intellectuals Challenged to Do Work Useful to Activism

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,682
    In the Spirit of Effectiveness,

Black Intellectuals Challenged to Do Work Useful to Activism

... Black intellectuals have a distinct connection to activism. “The Future of Black Intellectuals” panel at the NAN Convention, moderated by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education executive editor Dr. Jamal Watson, addressed what role Black intellectuals should play in this era of President Donald Trump ...

http://diverseeducation.com/article/95839/

Black Intellectuals Challenged to Do Work Useful to Activism

“The Future of Black Intellectuals” panel at the National Action Network Convention addressed what role Black intellectuals should play... #africanamericansblack #blackintellectuals #discrimination
    diverseeducation.com

[​IMG]
    From left to right, Dr. Christopher Tinson, Dr. Jamal Watson, Dr. Mary Frances Berry and Dr. Obery Hendricks discussed the role of Black intellectuals

April 27, 2017

2. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,991
    What in the world are they waiting for?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,682
    Excellent question Fine1952, makes you wonder doesn't it? :facepalm:

4. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,991
    ikr?

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,682

Right!

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    These are the old guard whose perspectives are stuck in the current political quagmire. It's taking them so long because they don't know how to think outside of the status quo and be true activists for the people they claim to represent. Are they progressives and willing to buck the system and risk being unpopular by the neoliberals? Or are they still trying to play the political game by the standards set in Washington politics? We don't need so-called Black intellectuals telling us what we already know; spinning the same old arguments and issues that date back to the CRM in the 60s. Where is the activism and leadership among them? Can they speak the language of today's millennials? Doubt it, which is why our youth aren't waiting for these types of "leader"s with degrees behind their names like alphabet soup to step forward.

7. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    Did you read the link posted by the OP?
    You are coming hard at the same Blacks that carried you.
    No one can understand the millennials except another millennial.
    IMO, the millennials are disrespectful of all their ancestors. Narcissistic and selfish.
    Not open to learning, so they are led by the wind. Whichever way the wind blows there they go.
    You talk about the old guard, the CRM, and these intellectuals. Read what you wrote. You guys are not leaders, you're bullies. Attempting to bully an establishment that's built on who's the best bully. Talking to the wind, ain't nobody listening. Any progress the millennials may think the are responsible for was intercepted by a member from the Old Guard.
    The millennials are reacting to everything like babies. They have no agenda for leadership. No focus, no goals.
    Except one. Put down your ancestors, and ACT black.
    Where are the millions of dollars raised by BLM. before jumping on the old guard, get your leaders correct. BLM are the Leaders of millennials, right?
    Do the millennials have its MLK, any major movements to bring about real change?
    Don't nobody want to speak the language of the millennials.
    My generation got some things to teach you, some things we missed when raising you.
    You might want to read several articles on the millennials. They're not all good.
    The millennials not waiting for anybody. They're just standing still, doing nothing. BLM is their claim to fame. Y'all still got more to do to prove you have overcome the old guard. You haven't.
    Your post shows that you know very little about your history, and less about the cause for the CRM.

Old Guard

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    My post shows that I know very little about my history? I'm a "bully"? Interesting perspective.

Yes, I came hard on the "old guard" and I meant to, it was deliberate and for the reasons I stated in my previous post. It's not the first time and it probably won't be my last. One thing I will correct myself on and thank you for giving me the opportunity and that is to not include Harry Belafonte in my criticism because I have a lot of respect for his perspective on the issues that Black people in America are facing today.

Sis. IFE, your opinion of millennials is not one that I share, especially in recent years and particularly not among Black millennials. I don't need to read articles about the millennials to learn what others think about them because I'd rather go by what I see and experience and here's why.

My experiences with Black people in that age group are completely different from your description and from what I see and hear them say about the social justice issues we face today causes me to believe that our future is in good hands. They are drawing on the experiences of their ancestors but taking the "push back" to another level.

I am witnessing a growing coalition of young Black political activists who are progressives. I believe the presidential campaign of President Obama contributed to this rising activism among younger Black people, and it became more intense due to cop killings, campus uprisings across the nation and the hostile 2016 presidential election. Millennials are mobilizing and no, they have not limiting themselves to just the BLM activist group.

Here's my position...I don't separate myself from the next generation or future generations of my people. Even though I'm older, I have never believed that I know it all or feel younger Black people must respect me because I'm older. It's imperative that all living generations stay connected, to draw on all experiences--learn from the past, be aware of the present and build for our future. I can and do learn from younger Black people and it results in less anxiety about the future when I do. To talk negatively and have low expectations of our youth divides us and it undermines the potential to come together as a community in a positive way, whether we agree or not. What's unique about today's climate is that we see multi-generations operating in the same spaces and because of that, we must learn how to intersect and connect with each other in ways that benefit us all.

I see burgeoning leadership developing in our youth, particularly our educated youth who are becoming critical thinkers. It's amazing to see how much our youth in K-12 know about the 2016 presidential election. That was being talked about in their homes, in their schools and they got engaged. I hear our college students on PWI campuses discuss important issues and wanting to get involved in their communities working alongside their elders. What I find exciting is that these young adults will not mince words but will tell you they don't want to just talk about the issues we face, they want to be actively involved in community building strategies. In the absence of a leader, one will rise and they are rising to positions where they can make a difference.

I'm not devaluing the progress for Black people that the "old guard" contributed to. I respect that. But the past is the past, we don't need to keep talking about it or reminiscing over it. What are the "old guard" doing to address where we are today in the 21st century--not to maintain the status quo, but to help transform the political and economic framework in America to benefit working class Black people?

Resist! :10200:
    (FYI: born in 1950 :crib: )

9. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,002

You're not a millennial.
    The millennials are not youth. Born 1977 - 1994, most are at least 40.
    I said the millennials are bullies, not you.
    Given your birth year, you're a member of the Old Gard or not.
    Let's remember the millennials are adults.
    I often here that generation offend the CRM and MLK. For me that speaks volumes. How can you know your enslavement history, correctly, and not respect the CRM. It is a part of our history. And those who cannot connect the dots from enslavement to Jim Crow Laws, lynchings were still taking place and Dr. MLK and the Civil Rights Movement had to come.
    The millennials like to claim the CRM caused segration, which they hate. If only they were living thru those days they would understand.
    I don't see how they can move any further until the accept, not reject all of their history, up to and including the CRM. if the millennials cannot relate to the CRM, they have little direction.
    The Millennials are the generation that can't stop criticizing the accomplishment of the old guard. We're still watching future generations progress status.
    The reason I call them bullies is because of their actions. During one of their protest they were carrying signs. Cant remember all of the sign, but it ended saying (BLM) 'OR ELSE". Or else what. What's the or else? That's a ultimatum.
    White nor Black people do not respond well, or at all, to ultimatums.

Your fav CRM personality is Harry Belafonte.(safe) My favourite was the leader of the CRM, Dr. MLK.

Some people, not all, are praising the millennials like they hold the future in their hands.
    ThIs one incident happened, that I will use to demonstrate the disrespect of the millennials. At a social activist gathering, Al Sharpton had the mic, and was speaking. A female member of the BLM movement took to the stage, snatched the mic from the elder activist, Black mans hand, and muttered some insult.
    That is the most disrespectful thing I've ever witnessed among Blacks in a public gathering on television. Open disrespect, shown to an elder Black Male activist.

I don't see anything the millennials have accomplished, except maybe bringing attention to Black men being shot by the police. Which was much needed.
    Same as during the CRM and before.
    What they doing now?, except counting money from donations.
    I've read the BLM agenda, and it's confusing, because somehow they can't get away from the LGBT movement.
    The PIC is listed as an agenda item. I do believe they are the generation that can take on this issue, and should.

I thought you were a millennial. Glad you're not.

I'm not devaluing the progress for Black people that the "old guard" contributed to. I respect that. But the past is the past, we don't need to keep talking about it or reminiscing over it.
    Yes we do. Forever, and ever and forever more. Pass the history on to younger, future, generations.

What are the "old guard" doing to address where we are today in the 21st century--not to maintain the status quo, but to help transform the political and economic framework in America to benefit working class Black people?

I believe the Old Guard is still following the path of voluntarily making ourselves available for good causes, teaching others, younger than the millennials, their Black History, and service to your community.
    Milllennials don't listen.

The second part of the question is political.
    I believe that speaks to the actions or non actions of the Congrssional Black Caucus. Which we have to plan how to hold the CBC responsible for supporting, and pushing legislation to benefit Black communities.
    Another task for the millennials.

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,682
    Turning away from street protests, Black Lives Matter tries a new tactic in the age of Trump

... But activists say the movement’s efforts have entered a new phase — one more focused on policy than protest — prompted by the election of President Trump.

“What people are seeing is that there are less demonstrations,” said Alicia Garza, one of three women credited with coining the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag after a jury acquitted a neighborhood watchman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in Florida in 2012, “a lot of that is that people are channeling their energy into organizing locally, recognizing that in Trump’s America, our communities are under direct attack” ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...3413c691853_story.html?utm_term=.04517ee920ae

Turning away from street protests, Black Lives Matter tries a new tactic in the age of Trump

The streets were nearly empty after federal officials decided not to charge the officer who killed Alton Sterling.
    washingtonpost.com

[​IMG]
    Few gathered at the food mart Wednesday to protest the Justice Department’s decision not to charge the officers involved in Sterling’s death. (Bryan Tarnowski/Bryan Tarnowski for The Washington Post)

By Janell Ross and Wesley Lowery May 4 at 1:59 PM

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List