Black People : Black = Inferior

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Everyone,

I think it's safe to assume that for the majority of times in America, Black has equaled inferior. I'm wondering, when in your life did you first experience this, up close and personal?

Was it when your best little white friend in grade school had a slumber party and her parents said she couldn't invite you ... because you were black?

Was it much later in life, perhaps on your first job and you recognized that promotions and considerations didn't flow in your direction ... because you were black?

When did you first experience your "black skin" being held against you? Please share it.

:heart:

Destee

2. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Destee ... I could probably go back to the day I was born because of the Hospital where I was born, but I will say, when I was a toddler. I lived in Jim-Crow days, the 'colored' signs, not being able to eat at places, etc. You name it, I probably lived it.

"inferior" is probably too strong of a word to use, but I understand your question.

3. wildflower7

wildflower7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

motherhood
    Ratings:
    +4
    The first I remember was when the principal (white) at the local 7th-day Adventist school (predominantly white) was trying to get my father to send my sisters and me there. However, as he spoke to me in the driveway of my house, he kept callin me "gal." I said, "my name is Kelli." But he didn't recognize that, he just kept callin me "gal." Askin me if I wanted to go to his school, I was like, "no, I like Maple."
    I must say that the non-Adventist caucasions were much more accepting than the Adventist caucasions.

4. redlady

redlady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I remember in my freshman year at college, going to "happy hour" with my girlfriend. She and I were waiting on line to come inside for drinks. Two huge burly redneck white boys came outside while we were online. One of them said, "look! ni-gg-ers!" He then proceeded to slam us against the wall. They said, "don't let those ni-gg-er ******* in!" My girlfriend Darlene said, "I forgive you for that, and I forgive your mother for that too." I think at the moment, I was too shocked to respond. The year was 1981, but I will never forget that as long as I live.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    destee i remember so well back in da dayz how we was lable
    as spooks and had our own space not to cross ova and in school
    i was kicked off the team coz i was da wrong color
    i missed many great jobs due to skin color
    i even was told in my face if i was not so dark i could fit in
    not that i didn't have what it takes but ...well nuff of dis .....

all i can say is ROOTS.....

6. wildflower7

wildflower7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

motherhood
    Ratings:
    +4
    My mother told me that one day I was chased home by an older white boy. He had been calling me ****** and I had asked her what that was... I must have blocked that out because I don't remember.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank you all for sharing! It's so alarming to realize that every single black person in America has probably dealt with racism, up close and personal, usually at very young and impressionable ages. So sad.

I can't remember any discrimination as a child growing up (which seems weird), but as a result of that, when it did come at the tender age of 20'ish ... I was devasted! Living life thinking that all I had to do was my best and that everyone would love me because ... well ... I'm so loving! :) Boy, was I in for a surprise! I was working and working hard, trying to do everything right to please my employer. Always willing to go above and beyond what was required of me ... but nothing ever counted. No kind words, no considerations, no pats on the back ... only the constant threat of being fired, the stress of the inequities all around me. Wow. I remember calling home crying to my Mother, I just didn't understand it, had no experience with it ... devasted. My mother said that it is the same in the north as it is in the south, regarding their feelings toward us ... she said that the only difference is that in the north, they smile in your face while hating you all the time ... and in the south (where i was) they don't bother trying to fool you. She said she'd rather it be the way it was in the south, because then at least you really know. I tried to find comfort in that, but there wasn't much.

One of my earliest poems was about the discrimination I faced on that job.
    The Discrimination Was So Great.

Thanks again everyone for sharing. Looking forward to more.

Destee

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes now on the job we face all kinds of sexual and color type
    Discrimination daily dis been going on now far too long
    whare is the breaking point !???

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Ya know $$RICH$$ i'm surprised more black folk haven't "snapped" like postal workers ... fa real doe ... God be keep'n us in perfect peace in da midst of storms.

Destee

10. Amun-Ra

Amun-Ra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Day I Was Born

I was born in Davidson County Tennessee and was in the colored OB section--of course I didn't know that--when I first knew it was sitting in the colored section at the movies

Ra