destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Everyone,

I think it's safe to assume that for the majority of times in America, Black has equaled inferior. I'm wondering, when in your life did you first experience this, up close and personal?

Was it when your best little white friend in grade school had a slumber party and her parents said she couldn't invite you ... because you were black?

Was it much later in life, perhaps on your first job and you recognized that promotions and considerations didn't flow in your direction ... because you were black?

When did you first experience your "black skin" being held against you? Please share it.

:heart:

Destee

Hi Destee ... I could probably go back to the day I was born because of the Hospital where I was born, but I will say, when I was a toddler. I lived in Jim-Crow days, the 'colored' signs, not being able to eat at places, etc. You name it, I probably lived it.

"inferior" is probably too strong of a word to use, but I understand your question.

The first I remember was when the principal (white) at the local 7th-day Adventist school (predominantly white) was trying to get my father to send my sisters and me there. However, as he spoke to me in the driveway of my house, he kept callin me "gal." I said, "my name is Kelli." But he didn't recognize that, he just kept callin me "gal." Askin me if I wanted to go to his school, I was like, "no, I like Maple."
I must say that the non-Adventist caucasions were much more accepting than the Adventist caucasions.

I remember in my freshman year at college, going to "happy hour" with my girlfriend. She and I were waiting on line to come inside for drinks. Two huge burly redneck white boys came outside while we were online. One of them said, "look! ni-gg-ers!" He then proceeded to slam us against the wall. They said, "don't let those ni-gg-er ******* in!" My girlfriend Darlene said, "I forgive you for that, and I forgive your mother for that too." I think at the moment, I was too shocked to respond. The year was 1981, but I will never forget that as long as I live.

destee i remember so well back in da dayz how we was lable
as spooks and had our own space not to cross ova and in school
i was kicked off the team coz i was da wrong color
i missed many great jobs due to skin color
i even was told in my face if i was not so dark i could fit in
not that i didn't have what it takes but ...well nuff of dis .....

all i can say is ROOTS.....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back