Black People : Black Incomes Surpass Whites in Queens

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by twashing, Oct 2, 2006.

1. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    This New York Times article talks about an affluent Black neighbourhood in Queens.

Here's the article.

2. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    This has been going on there most over a decade I believe.

I guess its just another reminder but for who ultimately.

It's good that black people recognized for income but as we all know much more like political might with those incomes will make it all the better.

Went to NY and I was talking with a bus driver and he said all the interstate type buses were for white communities in long island due to their political might and also politicians living out there while in the city hardly none at all. He also said that Long Island and Metro North public transportation workers make more money than himself a city bus er even though its the same organization running everything. It's all political is what he said.

3. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, the article was quite inspiring and one very clear reason for this upward mobility is due to MARRIAGE. There are lots of married couples in this group of Caribbean people or maybe all of them are married.

Nothing much is going to improve for African Americans until marriage becomes the norm for Black men and women in this country--ONCE AGAIN. There is no way around this, yet we continue to try to find other solutions when one BIG part of the solution is right in front of us.

4. jgyknowledge

jgyknowledge Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1

This article is slight misleading........

While the average income among Blacks might be slightly higher, it usually takes two earners compared to the one in white households. That's a big difference.

Also, marriage might have some part in the higher income, because two incomes are better than one. There is no evidence that poorer Blacks are not married or don't have two incomes supporting the household. I don't believe that marriage is the ultimate key in developing middle class households.

5. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    The chart and article compare married couples. White and black couples are the same both equal 2. Where did you get only one white earner?
    I think its something like 70% of blacks being raised by single parents compared to like 20% for whites. I think this does show proof that a true family does make a difference. You get this report were it shows blacks do better when you compare married blacks and then whites. I think this proves a lot. How can a single parent support and raise a child as good as a couple. Plus our single mothers even have more children than the average white couple. This has to cause problems we blame on something else.