Haiti : Black in Latin America (Haiti & the Dominican Republic: An Island Divided)

Full Episode: Mexico & Peru: A Hidden Race

In Mexico and Peru Professor Gates explores the almost unknown history of the significant numbers of black people—the two countries together received far more slaves than did the United States —brought to these countries as early as the 16th and 17th centuries, and the worlds of culture that their descendants have created in Vera Cruz on the Gulf of Mexico, the Costa Chica region on the Pacific, and in and around Lima, Peru. Watch full episode.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/video/full-episode-mexico-peru-a-hidden-race/227/

I saw the program on PBS last night. The segments on the music of Afro-Peruvians was very informative.

One thing that is very important about the Haitians is that they never stopped identifying with their African ways. This was where their strength came from to defeat the French, and this is why they don’t submit to the Euro ways now. This is what we here in the U.S. and other parts of America need to get back to. To love, to cherish and to become our African selves again. And Drop the Euro-Domesticated notions that have weaken us for so long.

I saw the program on PBS last night. The segments on the music of Afro-Peruvians was very informative.

Yes it was, especially when Gates asked what class he would fall under, and what class several other prominent african americans would fall under-and woman replied ''moreno'' or ''mulatto''.

Ive got three brothers, they'res four of us all together. Two of us are dark skinned and two of us are lighter skinned. Same dads. So we would be classified as different races? Those systems of classification are the biggest bull**** ive heard in my life - it serves only to divide and conquer.

All the sons of Africa, not withstanding shades, are one.

What are peoples feelings toward Gates on here?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back