Haiti : Black in Latin America (Haiti & the Dominican Republic: An Island Divided)

blackeyes

May 14, 2003
South,Ga
It's very interesting that in the dr "black"=haitian.
I know many black americans who think "haitian"=the darkest black people on earth, where did that come from...Thomas Jefferson.lol

But yeah, I think it was pretty balanced. But I wish he had gone into more detail about Haiti occupying DR.
And it did seem like he was all smiles when talking about how black and proud Haitians are. But when he was in DR it just looked like he wanted to shake his head like..."these amber/brown people are crazy as hayel"lol

lol they put the drop quad on half an island.smh

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
PREMIUM MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
It's very interesting that in the dr "black"=haitian.
I know many black americans who think "haitian"=the darkest black people on earth, where did that come from...Thomas Jefferson.lol

But yeah, I think it was pretty balanced. But I wish he had gone into more detail about Haiti occupying DR.
And it did seem like he was all smiles when talking about how black and proud Haitians are. But when he was in DR it just looked like he wanted to shake his head like..."these amber/brown people are crazy as hayel"lol

lol they put the drop quad on half an island.smh
Ironically though, the documentary seemed to imply that the DR assisted Haiti with a "humanitarian" effort after the earthquake without mentioning how the DR has at the same time been rather repressive towards Haitian refugees who migrated to the DR.

I did not see the entire program. It seemed to focus at one point on Papa Doc but virtually no mention of how repressive Trujillo was on the Black population in the DR.

And I do not recall any mention of Baby Doc and the millions the Duvalier family stole.

In fact, Papa Doc seemed to think it was funny that he was considered a dictator. That was a little more than I could take.

abstract219

...standing on the shoulders of giants
Sep 21, 2005
Philadelphia PA
Occupation
Behavioral Health
I think Prof. Gates(and his team) did a great job, what do you think? I thought it very balanced ..waiting for bientempo to comment..:qqb011:
I watched it. It was interesting. I thought Skip and his team did a aight job. My uncles told me DR is very Euro. Its time someone looked at the issue. Like Omowale stated, the show kinda glossed over the effect of Trujillo and US's current interventionist agendas.

bientempo

Oct 11, 2009
Dominican Republic
Why

I think Prof. Gates(and his team) did a great job, what do you think? I thought it very balanced ..waiting for bientempo to comment..:qqb011:
As my cable company here does not do PBS and I don't like youtube, I have not see this. But why should I comment, obviously a Harvard Professor with an agenda knows much more than people that live on this island(either side). Maybe he can make this the subject at the next beer summit? We put very little credibility to those from the USA that come here to tell us how things are.

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: