Haiti : Black in Latin America (Haiti & the Dominican Republic: An Island Divided)

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Program: Black in Latin America
Episode: Haiti & the Dominican Republic: An Island Divided

In the Dominican Republic, Professor Gates explores how race has been socially constructed, and how the country's troubled history with Haiti informs notions about racial classification. In Haiti, Professor Gates tells the story of the birth of the first-ever black republic, and finds out how the slaves hard fight for liberation became a double edged sword.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1877436791?starttime=1200000#

The first episode, which aired last night, was surprisingly honest (coming from Skip Gates), with some pointed remarks from him as well. I am putting the entire series on DVR and am so glad to see some attention paid to this major aspect of the Diaspora impacted by the slave trade. Those Dominicans though, what a sorry lot, if that is the prevailing mentality over there!

The first episode, which aired last night, was surprisingly honest (coming from Skip Gates), with some pointed remarks from him as well. I am putting the entire series on DVR and am so glad to see some attention paid to this major aspect of the Diaspora impacted by the slave trade. Those Dominicans though, what a sorry lot, if that is the prevailing mentality over there!

If it wasn't for the one drop rule/law i believe black folks in the US would be the same way..maybe not as bad -but close...US is the only country in the world where blacks class themselves as a homogeneous group... even with that, there are still color classifications and (subtle) discrimination against folks based on their skin tone/ancestry....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back