Black People : Black Honor Student Shot 25 TIMES By St. Louis Police

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, May 30, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Black Honor Student Shot 25 Times By St. Louis Police

By Michael Arceneaux

For those who might wonder why a Black honor student would carry a gun, Carlos Ball eloquently explained the dual realities that exist for many Black men and women in this country while speaking with the local CBS affiliate in St. Louis, “The way St. Louis streets work, we’re afraid out here. We’re afraid of the police. We’re afraid of other youth who may want to pull a gun and fire on you. So, sometimes people have guns just to protect themselves, [but] not with the intentions to do a criminal act with it.”
    Tragically, now Ball has a more personal anecdote to this rationale: His brother, 25-year-old Cary Ball Jr. (pictured far left), was shot and killed by police on April 24th near the Edward Jones Dome.
    Despite Ball Jr. placing his gun on the ground, police shot him 25 times.
    St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson says the three officers involved in the shooting are suspended pending an investigation:
    “We’ve invited the family and the witnesses to provide statements to us,” Dotson said, “Some of them have. Some of them haven’t. I encourage anybody who has information, we’re certainly looking into the matter.”
    Police report Ball had crashed his car after a high-speed chase, ran away on foot, and then pointed a gun at officers and ignored them when they ordered him to drop his weapon.
    Dotson says they have found no surveillance video from the area that shows what happened. The officers were put on administrative leave pending further investigation.
    Wednesday marked the second protest at police headquarters.
    Organizer Zaki Baruti says:
    “We are making every effort to, first, inform the public as well as mobilize the public to put an end to this kind of police violence. The police ought to be protecting and serving the community but we do have almost like vigilante kinds of officers on the force that need to be removed immediately.”
    Of that shooting, Carlos Ball said, “They looked at the gun on the ground and fired. He never fired. They never fired, until the gun was nowhere near him.” Baruti noted, “There are several credible witnesses not knowing each other who observed what had taken place.”
    There will be more demonstrations next week.
    At the time of his death, Ball was reportedly a Human Services major at Forest Park Community College. The campus newspaper, The Scene, reported Ball said he had a 3.86 grade point average and in the past was honored as an “emerging scholar.” He did, however, spend five-and-a-half years in prison – three years for armed robbery when he was 17, and another two-and-a-half years for a probation violation involving a misdemeanor.”

READ MORE http://newsone.com/2511226/cary-ball-jr-st-louis/

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
  3. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    There is an organization that keep track of black people who get gunned down by law enforcement and or quasi-vigilantes. Unless someone knows the name of that organization, I'll have to find the organization and post them.

4. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448

Is it a low-profile organization?

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
  6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Learning how to read and write are considered a dangerous thing for a black man

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    From the link:

Every 28 hours in 2012 someone employed or protected by the US government killed a Black man, woman, or child! This startling fact is revealed in Operation Ghetto Storm: 2012 Annual Report on the Extrajudicial Killings of 313 Black People by Police, Security Guards, and Vigilantes.
    “When we started this investigation in early 2012, we knew a serious human rights crisis was confronting the Black community”, says Kali Akuno, an organizer with the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement (MXGM). “However, we did not have a clear sense of its true depth until we compiled and examined the annual figures. We have uncovered outrageous rates of extrajudicial killings–rates, that when they are found in countries like Mexico or Brazil, are universally condemned. The same outrage inside the U.S. also demands immediate action.”
    Given recent revelations in the case of Floyd et al v New York City that challenge “stop-and-frisk”, our study demonstrates that NYPD violations of human rights are endemic throughout the U.S. For example, racial profiling that singles Black people for looking, driving or behaving “suspiciously” leads to at least 43% of Black peoples’ fatal encounters with police. Only 13% of those who were killed were involved in allegedly violent criminal activity that physically threatened others’ lives. These and many more of the Report’s findings reveal the deadly impact of systemic racism in the U.S.

8. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I don't get what this dudes GPA has to do with any of this. He might of been great at playstation too.. what that got to do with this?

traffic violation.. or DWB.. either way..
    high speed chase..
    cop runs the tags.. bingo! Felon with a weapons charge pops up..
    cop gets an erection.. adrenaline flows.. excited he can shoot somebody..
    dude crashes the car and takes off on foot..
    cops lick their chops, pull out their favorite weapons and make chase..
    dude pulls out his gun..
    cops smile.. adrenaline/erection climbs higher..
    dude is cornered.. nowhere left to run..
    cops on tilt.. completely high off the moment..
    dude puts the gun down..
    cops open fire.

end of story.. doesn't matter who protests or gets fired.. or hired.. dude is gone forever.

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Thanks for sharing. This incident went down over a month ago, so any idea why it took so long for this story to be released?

10. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    The St. Louis department already faced a lawsuit (2008 or 2009) when I lived there. They are one of these most crooked police departments out there.I've gotten pulled over and given tickets so much that I have lost count. I drove the same way then that I drive now. I don't get pulled over where I'm at. No one bothers me. I am glad I moved away from that city.