Black Education / Schools : Black Home Education

You Were Never Meant to Learn

The only excuse for the short sighted sophomoric critique is the young mans youth. Someone should explain to him there's a lot of chopping wood before the building of a house.
That means a lot of boring rote exercises to learn, practice again and again and again and yet again. It doesn't matter what sort of house he feels he wants to pursue. The touchstones that lie at the beginning and within every endeavor need to be mastered first and involve rote mermorization and repetition.
If you think otherwise, name one that doesn't.

The contention that schools were never meant to be areas of learning, of self development and fulfillment is outwardly false. That they've been intentionally debased is one argument that's a worthy thought to pursue while the other is akin to the ridiculous claim heard time and time again from the reactionaries of the Qanon crowd.

The only excuse for the short sighted sophomoric critique is the young mans youth. Someone should explain to him there's a lot of chopping wood before the building of a house.
That means a lot of boring rote exercises to learn, practice again and again and again and yet again.
Mostly horse ****!

I learned to ignore teachers. Math was mostly fun they dragged the boring stuff on regularly. Science fiction helped me find interesting things they never mentioned.

I do recall other kids complaining about word problems though. All kids are not alike. Shocking!

Mostly horse ****!
#1, that sounds more like an ad hominien attack than any else.
#2, why didn't you use my whole quote?
#3, if you disagreed with my statement why didn't you answer my question?

I learned to ignore teachers.
Why do you think that was good? To be more specific, how did ignoring help you to grow? and have you ever reflected that maybe ignoring them closed your world rather than opening doors in the hall ways of the mind?

Math was mostly fun they dragged the boring stuff on regularly.
Yeh, I know the feeling. After Calc I lost interest.

Science fiction helped me find interesting things they never mentioned.
That's all well and good......but those class rooms gave you the means and the tools to read and parse out what was said in those visions of others.

All kids are not alike. Shocking!
No body here claimed they were.

#1, that sounds more like an ad hominien attack than any else.
#2, why didn't you use my whole quote?
#3, if you disagreed with my statement why didn't you answer my question?

Why do you think that was good? To be more specific, how did ignoring help you to grow? and have you ever reflected that maybe ignoring them closed your world rather than opening doors in the hall ways of the mind?

Yeh, I know the feeling. After Calc I lost interest.

That's all well and good......but those class rooms gave you the means and the tools to read and parse out what was said in those visions of others.

No body here claimed they were.
In 8th grade the nuns gave us algebra books and then never used them. My older sister's trigonometry book looked more interesting than algebra so I used it to learn trig without a teacher. Today with stuff like Kahn Academy and computers more powerful than 1980s supercomputers education should be a breeze. The problem would be boring useless BS pushed at me. I refused to read Catcher in the Rye but The Scarlet Letter wasn't worth anything.

School is about maintaining authoritarian cultural tradition. Brainwashed workers!

If it was really about economics then accounting/finance should be mandatory. But no, dumb workers should be easy to rip off.

That's all well and good......but those class rooms gave you the means and the tools to read and parse out what was said in those visions of others
No! I started reading SF in 4th grade. I don't recall what junk they had us reading. Don't remember a single book, just the names David and Ann. The first SF book was Star Surgeon by Alan E Nourse. That is where I learned that the Sun was a star. Shocked the hell out of me.

My first thought is, why are you weighting in on public schools at all?
If you went to a parochial school of any kind; that is not a public school, that is a private school whether your parents paid for it or not. So you have no real cause or right to critique a system you never had any experience in.
Secondly, I can't image why anyone would put a child into a school whose stated cause celebre was to shape the formation of the spiritual and mental out look of a malleable young mind. With an emphasis on the spiritual. After all the whole meaning of the title "parochial school' is right there in the first two definitions of parochial. I quote 'relating to a church parish" Def. 2, "having a limited or narrow outlook or scope".
Just a question umbrarchist; while there are a myriad of quite valid questions and criticisms to slam the public school system with, why do you think that public school system relates to an essentially privately run school system? And how would you even know what the difference might be?
And I might add, that is from one that absolutely detested the daily school class room kabuki dance and mostly didn't play well within that charade.

School is about maintaining authoritarian cultural tradition.
That is true enough..............whether it is within this system or in a small clan far out beyond the ramparts of our civilization and every where between.

If it was really about economics then accounting/finance should be mandatory. But no, dumb workers should be easy to rip off.
That's where the humanities studies come in. Critical thinking.
Ever since the public school system was conceived the business interests have sought to bend it towards its own ends. Sometimes not so successfully but of late seems to have finally realized their goal, obedient workers and consumers. They cowed the wage slaves to the point that the public school system is nothing more than a conveyor belt of tech training for increasingly limited jobs that demand 24/7 on-call attention.
You speak of economics. Economics of what? You want to teach about economics? how about the teaching the economics of scale. Like how much longer can we continue to consume yearly 2 1/2 planet earths worth of natural resources and carry on? Our habitat is shrinking daily in so many ways I won't begin to list them here.
Or perhaps your thinking about teaching of Historical materialism. Or how the commodity hides its origin. Or maybe the politics of consumption and commodity fetishism.
Is that the economics you feel should be taught in schools?

That is where I learned that the Sun was a star. Shocked the hell out of me.
You were shocked in what way? Why?
At eight, nine and ten years old it should have been a source of wonder and awe. Not shock.
Thank the parochial school for shock.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back