Black Education / Schools : Black Home Education

ogoun

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 14, 2018
That is funny! I wouldn't trust Edison because he would say that for the money. And in 1911 there was no sound. They didn't even have color.
You'd better read some history before speaking.
The first RECORDED sound was in the late 1850's. Two decades later (that would the 1870's for mathematically challenged) Bell made the first telephone call and Edison introduced the first phonograph recording.

And of course.....there was 'sound' long before.

And color? Have you ever had the experience of looking at a tin type photo before it was exposed to too much uv light sources that bleached them out?

umbrarchist

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 13, 2007
You'd better read some history before speaking.
The first RECORDED sound was in the late 1850's. Two decades later (that would the 1870's for mathematically challenged) Bell made the first telephone call and Edison introduced the first phonograph recording.
Since I was talking about Edison discussing film used for education I presumed anyone would figure out that I meant sound synchronized with the film.

ogoun

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 14, 2018
Since I was talking about Edison discussing film used for education I presumed anyone would figure out that I meant sound synchronized with the film.
Uh-huh. Whatever you say.

Edison & co. was working on syncing sound and film in the late 1800's with some success in something they called peep boxes (or something like that) that showed small short vignettes.
Commercially it wasn't a disaster but proved to be unsustainable probably because other films makers were working on trying to make it work in larger formats as well as economical in use. It only took another what? 20/25 years after that Edison news paper article before sound actually became the standard of the story board process of movie making to be watched and absorbed as an 'experience'.

That Edison was arguably a robber baron within his niche during the dawn of a revolutionary technology is really besides the point don't you think? So leaving that aside, let's actually count the ways he was wrong and right in his prediction/s of film as a teaching medium.

Last edited:

umbrarchist

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 13, 2007

The videos say $100 but prices I see on the Net are more like $120 to $150. Unlike the Raspberry Pi 400 this has a VGA output plus Bluetooth. It should be possible to find a VGA monitor cheap or even free. The operating system is built in and no fiddling with SD card required. Very few grade school kids could outdo this machine.

To me this is science fiction come to life. This blows away machines that cost millions in the 80s. I do wonder how many black kids will have elders showing them this. Beats the hell out of the Pentium I gave a girl in the 90s.

Is Trump Going to Prison?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Latest profile posts

cherryblossom wrote on watzinaname's profile.
Dropping by to say, "Hi!" ,sister Watz. Hope all is well.
cherryblossom wrote on WARRIOR's profile.
Hey, Warrior! Right On!