Black Events : Black History Month Weekly Film Series In Chicago

Discussion in 'Black Events' started by Sami_RaMaati, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    The Films & Dates:

All Films will be shown at the Ausar Auset Society Culture Center, 2108 East 71st Street, 2nd floor, Chicago, IL

====================================================

First People, Our People: Ancient Egypt Revealed featuring Dr. Asa G Hilliard

Saturday, February 3rd 2007; 3 to 5 PM

The educational video outlines the Four Golden Ages of Kemet, and its contributions to civilization from each of the following eras: The Old Kingdom; The Literary/Middle Kingdom; The New Kingdom; and The Late Kingdom (The Revival Age). The video also includes images of Ancient Egypt that illustrate Dr. Hilliard’s insights and revelations.

=================================================

The Black Athena Debate: Live Onstage featuring Dr. John Henrik Clarke

Saturday, February 10, 2007 3-5 pm

Renowned historian Dr. John Henrik Clarke teams up with Professor Martin Bernal, author of the book "Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization", in a live debate with "Black Athena" critics Mary Lefkowitz and Guy Maclean Rodgers. The topic of the debate is the Afrikan influence on ancient Greek civilization.

=================================================

Quilombo

Saturday February 17th, 2007; 3 to 5 PM

See the acclaimed film that tells the story of 2 of Brazil's great African leaders. Ganga Zumba and Zumbi. The Africans who built the colonies known as "Quilombos" where Africans lived in their own culture, religion, and government away from slavery and Portuguese savagery.

====================================================

500 Years Later

Saturday, February 24th 3-5 pm.

Crime, drugs, HIV/AIDS, poor education, inferiority complex, low expectation, poverty, corruption, poor health, and underdevelopment plagues people of African decent globally - Why? 500 years later from the onset of Slavery and subsequent Colonialism, Africans are still struggling for basic freedom-Why? Filmed in five continents, and over twenty countries, 500 Years Later engages the authentic retrospective voice, told from the African vantage-point of those whom history has sought to silence by examining the collective atrocities that uprooted Africans from their culture and homeland. 500 Years Later is a timeless compelling journey, infused with the spirit and music of liberation that chronicles the struggle of a people who have fought and continue to fight for the most essential human right - freedom.

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Namaste' Sami_RaMaati.

I ALMOST wish i was in the States! i have been searching for some of these films, especially the Black Athena debate, for months! i read some literature Lefkowitz wrote called 'Not Out of Africa' in there she disputes the notion that Greek philosophy was stolen from Kemet; i heard through the grapevine that she got served! on this film..so I've been searching for it.

BTW if you have any info, on the Ausar Auset Society in London let me know.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Thank u..... this a place i need to be , so i can capture these mentally

4. Sami_RaMaati

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    Come on down!

Tomorrow--Feb 10--we'll be showing "The Black Athena Debate" featuring John Henrik Clarke and Martin Bernal.

In addition, we're considering a repeat of last week's film "First People, Our People: Ancient Egypt Revealed" because Dr. Asa Hilliard's presentation was outstanding and compelling.

5. Sami_RaMaati

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    I'm trying to get info on how to contact them. I'll let you know when I do.

6. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Ok thanks, the Black Athena Debate would be a good topic for DESTEE CLASS CHAT don't you think? you could host it.

7. Sami_RaMaati

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    I'm not quite ready academically. It's on my "to do" list. At some point in the not too distant future, I plan to undertake the study of ancient greek language, philosophy, history and culture at the university level, but that will take a couple of years at least. It's best to do it this way because mastery of the subject matter is of the utmost importance prior to attempting to teach on any topic.

8. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Good moring,

No no...brother Sami_RaMaat you missunderstood me.....i meant playing the film in VOICE CHAT we all can listen, (especially me...lol) alot of the members on DESTEE are familiar with stolen legacy; i don't know if they are aware of lefkowtz however, i just heard it was an excellent debate and i am dying to hear it.

That is quite an undertaking, i wish you succcess.