Black Authors : Black History Month/Self Publishing News

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Delores, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Delores

Delores MEMBER MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to this month's E-news!

In this edition:

Marguerite Press News:
    Calendar For Delores Thornton:
    New Book Club Forming:
    Links:
    Good Books:

Marguerite Press is happy to annouce that it has become a sponsor (along with the Langston Hughes Community Libary & Cultural Center) of the 'First Annual Self-published/Small Press Awards (SPA). Please visit the website for information on how you may advertise your book, bookstore, library, book club or any business that would benefit from all of the exposure of our 'Souvenir Ad Book'. http://www.aa-aha.org/ads.htm.

And we'd also like you to note that Delores Thornton is now on the production team of the BlackBoard Times!
    Calendar For Delores Thornton:
    Wednesday, February 27, 2002.
    Thornton will participate in a Black History Month program at the
    Indianapolis Post Office/Mail Processing Annex.

Friday--February 22, 2002
    Guest appearance on 'Around Muncie Today', a television show in
    Muncie, Indiana.

Saturday-March 2, 2002
    12 till 6 P.M.
    Roy C. Buley Community Center
    Will be on hand for 'The Ebony Showcase, featuring minority
    entrepreneurs from Muncie and Delaware County.
    New Book Club:
    Delores Thornton and friend Lena Williams are finally forming a book club! After touring the country and being the guests of some of the most dynamic book clubs around, the two are now ready to take literary awareness to new heights in the AA community of Indy! Lena is currently the book reviewer for 'The Indiana Herald Newspaper, and she also reviews for the 'BlackBoard Times'. And Thornton, is the founder of Marguerite Press and African American Authors
    Helping Authors, Inc. Thornton and Williams have shown that they can work well together.

Thornton also has a column (Self/Shelf) in the 'BlackBoard Times. And she writes the syndicated Internet column, 'How To Self-publish That Great Novel Without Going Nuts!'

The name of the book club is Friendgurlz, and they will meet in area libraries. Please contact Lena for more info: [email protected]. Friendgurlz is already working with the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library, to bring programs and authors to the city.
    Links:
    http://www.deirdresavoy.com/
    http://www.aa-aha.org
    http://www.maxinethompson.com
    Good Books:
    Pieces From The Crazy Quilt by Marvin Arnett
    Sin by Crystal Rhodes
    Please enjoy the rest of Black History Month, and remember to promote yourselves!

Until next time....

Delores Thornton/CEO
    http://margueritepress.8m.com
    Been There--Done That
    by Delores Thornton

In previous articles I have addressed the rules and guidelines of self-publishing. Now I'd like to offer you a glimpse at how others have accomplished this feat. In this edition we are talking with Ms. Marvin Arnett , an excellent choice for Black History Month!

DT: Please tell us a little bit about your background, Ms. Arnett. Like where you are from. Things that inspire you. Places you have been. And things you have seen.

MA: I am the second daughter and middle child born to William and Grace Sprague in Detroit, Michigan, in 1928, during the Great Depression. I am a retired Federal Manager, and have served as National Vice-president of "Blacks in Government" (BIG) an organization devoted to equal employment opportunities for people of all races within the Federal Service.
    I am the proud mother of three, grandmother of four, great-grandmother of five, and great-great-grandmother of one. I currently serve on the Board of Friends of the Southfield Library, and enjoy reading, jazz, book clubs, and volunteering time to service organizations.

I am deeply inspired by people who persevere, who don't give up, but keep striving toward their goals, come what may.

A partial list of my travels includes: West Africa, South Africa, Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Japan, China, Alaska, Thailand, England, France, Switzerland, Nicaragua, Holland, Kuwait, etc. I have seen the slave dungeons at Cape Coast, the Taj Mahal at Agra, the Great Pyramids of Egypt and the Coliseum of Greece.

DT: Why did you write Pieces from the Crazy Quilt? How long did it take? And what was the initial reaction from readers?
    I wrote "Pieces" because I have lived it, up close and personal.

Why is it an important story? Because it is the story of the many African American who dedicated their lives to improving the future for their children and for African American children everywhere. While much has been written about the racism experienced by African Americans living in the South, little has been written about the racism experienced by those living in the North. It took me approximately two years to complete "Pieces." It would have been a much shorter time, but I stopped and restarted it too many times to count.

The reader's response to my book has always been terrific!

MA:
    DT: Why did you choose to self publish? Did you first submit to traditional houses?
    MA: In truth, I did not choose self-publishing, self-publishing chose me. After 97 rejections from traditional literary agents, I decided to take the bull by the horn. I wasn't getting any younger, and if I planned on holding a published copy of my book in my hands, I would have to do things differently.
    DT: There are many new writers who are going to Print on Demand (POD). Could you explain how the process works? How do you submit your manuscript? Is it online or via snail mail? How long does it take to get the finished product?
    MA: I will use the 1stBooks Library as an example. You submit your manuscript on formatted disk in Word format, Times Roman or Arial Font, and 11 or 12 Font Size. They will accept manuscripts by snail, in hard copy, but will charge you an additional fee to transpose. You may design your book cover or they will design it for you. They will also put the book in ebook format for downloading from their Wev site. There is no charge for this service.
    They will list your book with all on-line bookstores. 1stBooks keeps record of book sales, and forwards your percentage of sales on a quarterly basis. Your book may be ordered direct from their website at wholesale cost. I found them to be accommodating and professional. Usually, no less than six months from the beginning of the process, you will have the completed project in hand. They do not edit the material. That is up to you.

DT: Was it difficult for you to deal with POD? If you had it to do over would you start your own company to publish your works?
    MA: POD has both a positive and negative side. On the positive side getting the book prepared for finalizing and publishing, posting it to on-line bookstores, collecting fee and forwarding to Author is taken care of.
    On the negative side, all of this is worthless if no one knows your book is available at the on-line stores. In the end you still have the responsibility for publicizing your book. It is just as time consuming as if you had published it yourself. In retrospect, would I start my own company to publish my own works? I think if I were a younger person, I would give it a whirl. Even if I decided later that it wasn't for me, think of all the knowledge and experience I would have gained.

DT: May our readers view an excerpt of Pieces from the Crazy Quilt?
    MA: I invite your readers to visit my Author Page on AALBC (African American Literature Book Club) . Feel free to roam the site. There is an excerpt from the book, as well as, newspaper reviews, background data on the creation of the book and an audio recording of an interview shown on Southfield, Michigan's Channel 15.

Last, but not least, I am currently in negotiations with the University of Nebraska Press for publication of a hardcover version of "Pieces" in early 2003.
    Writers, Perseverance is the word for the day!

DT: Thanks so much Ms. Arnett! We wish you continued success.

That's it y'all!

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    some great info here family !!!
    Thankz sista for sharing this with poet's and writers within

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    great info for the family who want to self publish check it out ......