BLACK HISTORY MONTH DISTORTED....

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by spicybrown, Mar 15, 2006.

1. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Whew......last month was Black history month. *crickets chirping*. My eight year old was bombarded with Rosa Parks, and MLK. Now I respect the struggle they endured, and appreciate the road they paved for Blacks. My daughter came flying off her school bus one day after school and said: "MOMEEEEEE, WE WATCHED MARDA LUTHA KEEEEEENG TODAY IN CLASS". I asked what the movie was about, and she said: " they marched and got sprayed with water hoses". I also asked what they learned about Rosa Parks. She stated that: "Rosa Parks didn't give her seat to a white boy, and she went to jail, after that Black people were allowed to sit on the front of the bus"! Is this all that our youngins are learning about our history in America?!?! This is why it is important to teach them Black History at home, a history which goes further back than a slave ship, and beyond JayZ and Beyonce. What are you all teaching your children about their rich culture/history? How are you breaking it down to them?

2. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Black history month was recently declared as a day for prayers, getting together and leanring our history and pouring libation in honour of our ancestors here in Ghana.

And yes, i agree with you. Black history should be taught at home.
    Courtesy begins at home.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Sorry to disagree on this one. Black History should not just be taught at home. The problem we have is in studying the movements that took place and who was at the forefront of them. We as parents know that the majority of the teachers in our schools are black. As long as we allow...yes, "ALLOW", those teachers and the system to dictate "what black history" our children should or should not learn, nothing will ever change. I spoke about this in my first book.

It is during Black History Month that we need to be out there with our children protesting in front of those very same schools concerning the subject matter our children are being taught during that month...as well as having an agenda to make it more than a month. I mean, how long are we going to settle for that !??

Every day of that little short month, they need to be in the school auditorium watching films that cover the long legacy of who we are and what happened. What is that, an hour and a half of their time? Then they need to be in the classroom hearing various tapes of scholars who have contributed to the uncovering of our history that was distorted. What is that, another hour and a half ?

By this time, some student is going to come up with the idea of having a "black history club". Oh yeah, they think like that ! I'm just mentioning this to show you the ease and non radical approach that can be taken with results that we can't even see yet. So what's the problem !?? Can I make it any easier than this? Do we not even have the gumption to act as passively as this for the sake of our children and their future !??

Sure, learning at home is always there, but at the same time we should not neglect to change or alter in the system what we can when it doesn't threaten your life. This needs to be a national agenda and one which I see as very possible. I mean, [email protected]..are we really that dead as a people that we can't see the over all effect of something as simple as this ??

4. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    i have to agree wit Keita... as much as it should start at home, knowledge should always be nurtured. From personal experience, my mother was never adimt about speaking about black culture, and nor my father in regards to my puerto rican heritage. I learned everything from my mentors and Black Student Alliance in high school. As a result, I joined such clubs and changed their approach on BLack Hisotry Month. I remember we did the story about what if there were no black people... and the whites in our school did not beleive us. As we changed our agenda... it was obvious that more students became interested in learning.. and not just socializing. If a child does not have a strong parental relationship.. education and school is supposed to be an outlook for this. I think kids need to come home and teach their parents a few things...now and days

5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    thanx for sharing your ideas:)

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    what brutha K has said is the key , but i try to speak and teach
    every day something that took place in our history talk about
    the un song heros , our schools need to enforce the history it should be a
    class for that in every school not just one month but the whole school year.