Black History Culture : Black History: Lost, Stolen or Strayed

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by oldsoul, Mar 4, 2011.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Black History: Lost, Stolen or Strayed
    Bill Cosby’s forgotten “militant” documentary​
    During the summer of 1968, just a few months after the assassinations of Dr. King and Robert Kennedy, and the country tearing apart at the seams, with cities becoming charred ruins from racial riots, CBS broadcast the documentary "Black History: Lost, Stolen or Stayed", narrated by Bill Cosby.
    And you have to consider that this was a very daring thing for Cosby to do at the time. He was the co-star of one of the most popular TV shows at the time, I Spy, and was considered by many to be a “safe and non-threatening” black man. So, for him to show his angry, militant outrage against racism and how black people had been portrayed in films, and their massive contributions throughout history ignored, was shockingly radical.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Thank you for sharing these! :toast:

However, IMO, it is less surprising to me to see Bill Cosby hosting this in 1968 as it is to see that classroom with White and Black children in it which covered this lesson plan on Black inventors.

This musta been filmed up "NAWTH" somewhere(and prolly only during Feb/"Black History Month") cuz this woulda been SHO NUFF "radical" in Southern schools in 1968.....and to a large degree, STILL IS!

Much of my Black history lessons were from Elders and older siblings who hipped me to ancestors and revolutionaries who were not taught in school for me..."Post-Segregation."

Because of them and my own reading/research, I learned so much that the White school system did not/WOULD NOT teach in its curricula.

Bill is from Philly....maybe it was filmed in a school there. :?:

But, again, thank you for sharing this!

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......I agree with sister cherryblossom, this is very good stuff; also Dr. Ben Carson has even more prominent black people and their inventions. The problem I have with this is the sheer number of blacks that are responsible for starting something or inventing something, and having to remember all of this; its just too many.

Once we rote memorized all of them, then what? Its really impressive to recite the knowledge and know it, but we are still dealing with Racism White Supremacy, with no success. I don't mean to rain on a parade, really I don't, my concern is about knowing the knowledge and to not use it Today for our liberation is problematic for me. Our so-called conscious community is full of Our Story, which has yet to lead to freedoms, well-being, etc...Peace In my friend.