BLACK HERITAGE, CHARLESTON, SO. CAROLINA

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Isaiah, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Charleston, South Carolina is one of the most historic cities in the United States. Founded in 1670, it has a history that establishes it as a place where one can find the roots of all aspects of American life and culture. This is especially true for the unique African-American culture that developed in Charleston and the Lowcountry. As a major entry port for Africans captured in the Atlantic slave trade (between 1700 and 1775 forty percent of he Africans imported into North America in the slave came through Charleston harbor), many African Americans throughout the United States can trace their roots to the area. In addition, the unique African-American culture (called Gullah-Geechee culture) that developed in this area has strong connections to West Africa and shows how Africans transferred many of their cultural roots from West Africa to America.

http://www.charlestonblackheritage.com/main.html

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Excellent link Brother Isaiah this is the city in which I currently reside. Anyone making a visit should hit me up. The city is also in the process of building a slave museim which will teach about the history of the slaves that were brought through Charleston's ports.

3. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    All of this stands to reason.... I have met quite a few people who have relatives in North Carolina, I believe one of my grandfathers was born there. Thanks for sharing this link.