Black Education / Schools : Black hair restrictions in schools are a return to the Black Codes

IFE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 20, 2015
Black hair restrictions in schools are a return to the Black Codes

What happens when they think they can control our children’s hair? Some people, apparently, are trying to bring us back to the Black Codes, to the Jim Crow era, and the slavery times before that, when society controlled the movements and behavior of Black people.

As kids throughout the country get out of school for the summer, it is a perfect time to reflect on all of the Black children who, over the course of the past semester, have been punished, disciplined or otherwise called out and singled out for wearing braids, locks, natural hair or any other culturally expressive hairstyle. Studying while Black, apparently, is a thing.

1. Black hair restrictions in schools are a return to the Black Codes ...
    http://thegrio.com/2017/06/08/black-hair-black-codes/ - 165k - Cached - Similar pages
    Jun 8, 2017 ... What happens when they think they can control our children's hair? Some people , apparently, are trying to bring us back to the Black Codes, ...

Really? It amazes me how easily and often folks nowadays reach for slavery. They don't seem to realize that when you trivialize Slavery, you trivialize what our ancestors endured.
Schools all around the world have hair policies.. as they should. They should also have uniforms with shoes and socks included. So.. no dyed hair.. not extensions.. no styles outside of the approved styles.
If you take a walk around the world, you'll see these kinds of policies in place on a National scale. Why? To put the focus on education and mitigate all of the dynamics that come along with clothes and shoes and hairstyles. The military does the same thing for the same reasons. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

IFE ... I agree with you and the article. It features several examples of racist policies by the schools ... some even going as far as to say the student's hair was just too nappy. Thank you for sharing!

skuderjaymes ... I disagree ... we have been told historically ... "do something with your hair" ... as the student was told in the article ... such policies can be tied directly to our enslavement, jim crow, black codes, etc.

If they don't want us tying it to slavery, they need to make it not look like slavery.

Loving Us!

:heart:

Destee

Really? It amazes me how easily and often folks nowadays reach for slavery. They don't seem to realize that when you trivialize Slavery, you trivialize what our ancestors endured.
Schools all around the world have hair policies.. as they should. They should also have uniforms with shoes and socks included. So.. no dyed hair.. not extensions.. no styles outside of the approved styles.
If you take a walk around the world, you'll see these kinds of policies in place on a National scale. Why? To put the focus on education and mitigate all of the dynamics that come along with clothes and shoes and hairstyles. The military does the same thing for the same reasons. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Nothing should be wrong with "it" in your opinion.
Are you a Black or a Black female or the parent of a Black girl in public school?
If no, this topic does not require your commentary.

Thank you

Nothing should be wrong with "it" in your opinion.
Are you a Black or a Black female or the parent of a Black girl in public school?
If no, this topic does not require your commentary.

Thank you

And if yes, then what? Will you then respond to the substance of my commentary?.. or will you apply some other filter of exclusion to alter the view of the truth?

And listen.. you dont have enough time or content on this board to tell anybody where they should or should not comment.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back