Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Black hair and shampooing

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by African_Prince, Nov 3, 2006.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Some people say that shampoo dries out curly and kinky hair (shampoo strips sebum from the scalp and curly hair is naturally dry and needs the natural oils, or something like that) and is unnecessary. Is it true that Black people should only condition wash once every 2 weeks and clarify once a month or is shampooing necessary?

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I would have a hard time with this one.
    I don't mind being natural but dirty and natural are two seperate things.

3. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    What if you rinsed (without shampooing/conditioning) with water every day and conditioned every 2 weeks and clarified every month. Isn't the clarifying to get rid of buildup, because even if you shampoo you only do it once every week or two depending on your hair. Am I making sense?

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I wash my hair up to twice a week... if it loses its moisture in the process, then I just apply moisturizer/oil accordingly. I'd rather wash my hair and pay the price for extra oil & moisturizers than to go around thumping and itching a dirty scalp in public. Another member here mentioned "condition washing" hair without the shampoo... this way your hair is guaranteed to be clean while maintaining its moisture balance. Also, it's not necessary to repeat the wash process twice like the container suggests.

Peace

5. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    That's what the entire thread is about. Is it a good idea to condition only without shampoo (and if so is a clarifier a month necessary?)

I heard that you shouldn't add oil to your hair or at least it's unnecessary because usually, sebum provides the scalp with all the oil it needs.

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

Is it that only Black hair and scalp has natural oils? A good portion of my hair is relaxed and requires plenty of moisture. I have dry hair naturally even when unprocessed. I still wash my hair every 4 days. The first wash I use shampoo+conditioner; the second time around I use only conditioner.

You're right, oil is not good for the SCALP... it clogs the pores, and is unhealthy. What I do is apply oil to the hair only. Do you sport a natural (afro)?

7. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    All hair, as far as I know.

Do you mean once every 4 days you shampoo/condition and the next 4 days you condition only?

I guess a mini-afro, except when I get a haircut (I don't shave it though).

8. philomath

philomath Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    you can wash your hair every day or every week if you want. it depends on you and your hair.

test it first. condition washing is washing your hair with conditioner. unless you use products all the time your hair won't need to be clarified more than once a month. shampoos are often very harsh and you should make an effort to find one that is gentle.

black hair is not necessarily always dry it's just that because the hair is curly as opposed to straight it appears that way. you might not even need grease. in general most people's scalp create enough oil so only apply oils to hear but have some type of moisturizer

you can check motowngirl.com, roshini.net, or nappturality.com, they have way more members with all types of black hair so you might find better advice over there

9. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    I don't wash my hair with shampoo anymore. It does my hair so bad. And now that I am growing my natural hair out, I need all the moisture that I have. I believe that you can wash your hair how many times you want to. I conditioner wash my hair every other day when it's not in braids. Summer just passed so I was able to get away with this, because I didn't want to put any heat to my hair. Here some steps for the CW:

HOW TO DO A CONDITIONER WASH

1. Thoroughly soak your hair with warm water. Work out the tangles with your fingers

2. Take your conditioner (don't use too much), place some in your hands and apply it to your hair and scalp (in sections if you have longer hair). Let it sit for a bit them massage it in as if it were shampoo. Be sure to concentrate on your scalp. Use you fingertips, not your nails. Gently work out any knots in your hair with your fingers.

3. Rinse VERY well with cool water.

4. Some may use more conditioner and rinse that out after doing the "conditioner wash". Experiment and see what works for you.

5. Lastly style your hair. You can use a clear gel or apply a leave-in conditioner to soaking wet hair.

I hope this helps everyone who wants to try CW.

I would suggest going to the sites that philomath told you about, they are pretty good.

Letstalkhair.com is a good site as well.

10. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Do you clarify? If not, don't you need to cleanse your scap (does conditioner do this)?