Pan Africanism : Black Global Entities - Funded Primarily By Blacks

NNQueen said:
This morning as I was getting ready for work I had the television on and there was this program being aired titled "Two Dollars". It was about the empire that Mme. C. J. Walker built during the pre and post depression era. I didn't get the chance to see it all but I found it extremely interesting in terms of what the corporation was able to accomplish in such a short span of time. What also amazed me was the diversification of products and services that the Walker company provided and jobs she created for Black people. What she and her company were able to do was unheard of for any Black person, much less a Black woman during that time--early 1900s. She died in 1919 at the age of 52 but her company survived and managed to continue growing. That's when I had to leave.

Does anyone know what happened to the company and the rest of the story?

You know, I was reflecting on Destee's question and it struck me that I haven't heard of any such global entities primarily financed by Blacks. And would this be the type of entities that are among the so called Fortune 500 corporations? And if there are some, why aren't they as widely known as many of them, i.e., Microsoft, Dell, etc.? This question makes you scratch your head wondering why this is!

Queenie :spinstar:

Queenie here is what I could find. Of course no one else had any interest in black hair care products. So she was able to grow and become as great as she has and was. I believe her products and pomade products are still in stores.

The site below has a picture of her too. She was born two years after the civil war, our ancestors had a lot on the ball, makes me wonder sometimes, what happened to us? Destee she was selling and well known in the United States and the Caribbean

http://www.princeton.edu/~mcbrown/display/walker.html

Madame C.J. Walker (Sarah Breedlove McWilliams Walker): Inventor, Businesswoman

The company was the Walker College of Hair Culture and Walker Manufacturing Company

(note: "The original Mme. C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company " )

In 1905 Sarah Breedlove developed a conditioning treatment for straightening hair. Starting with door-to-door sales of her cosmetics, Madame C.J. Walker amassed a fortune. About The Walker System

The elements of the System were a shampoo, a pomade "hair-grower", vigorous brushing, and the application of heated iron combs to the hair. The "method" transformed stubborn, lusterless hair into shining smoothness. The Madame C. J. Walker manufacturing Company employed principally women who, before the years that preceded the national growth of beauty shops in the United States, carried their treatments to the home. Known as "Walker Agents," they became familiar figures throughout the United States and Caribbean where they made their "house calls", always dressed in the characteristic white shirtwaists tucked into long black skirts and carrying the black satchels, containing preparations and combing apparatus necessary for dressing hair.

==========

http://itc.utk.edu/itc/grants/twt2000/modules/ebledso1/historical/c j walker dies.htm

" The success of the one preparation led the Madam on to several others, among them her famous straightening comb. "

Here is how she lived and tells what she died from.

Brother HODEE, thank you for sharing this wealth of information. It taught me a lot and my respect and admiration for Mme. Walker has increased as a result.

I know what I'm about to write isn't directly relevant to the topic of this thread but I agree with you, based on this woman's legacy, it makes me wonder too what happened to us.

True, Walker had a captive audience due to the fact that white businesses did not cater to Black consumers and didn't employ Blacks to do more than menial tasks that didn't pay a decent living wage. So from an entrepreneurial stand point, anyone who had the guts and ability, could be successful in business. More importantly, let's recognize that even a racist society didn't manage to break the will of this woman nor stop her from doing what she set out to do. I'm sure she wasn't considered a threat to any white owned business, and there were no other Black businesses like hers around. So, Walker saw a gap and she filled it, at the same time creating a monopoly business entity.

So, she was Black, she was a woman and she grew up in a blatantly racist era. She built, she employed, she trained Black people to be business-minded if they chose to be, and good employees if they chose that route.

Johnson Publishing Company of Chicago is a successful Black business entity. I don't know how global the company is, but it's fubu.

Motown Records was (is?) a successful company that was Black owned. I'm not sure if it still is though or how successful it is today or if it's global. Maybe others might know.

To be a global entity do you have to be a member of a stock exchange (public) or can you also be a private corporation?

As I think more on this, I'll keep making contributions.

Queenie :spinstar:

Good question Destee

Queenie it was my pleasure to bring you that bit of info. Today there are black owned business that do not list in the Fortune 500 list but I'm sure make a dent in things. We didn't go to far from subject.

Johnson publishing is global. Below is a list of a few companies in the U. S. that are global and totally Black owned. One if them is a employment agency in California. I have used their services before.

Don't forget Oprah ( HARPO ) :D

http://http300.content.ru4.com/images/0531/16336.gif

=======
Charts of what we are doing

http://www.blackenterprise.com/BE100sHome.asp

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back