Black Authors : Black Ghostwriters

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by karmashines, Mar 11, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I have several story ideas that would be of primary interest to African American readers, (though I would hope the content would appeal to other groups too). However, I don't have the time or self-esteem to complete a novel on my own. As soon as I start, I get so full of anxiety that I abandon the idea completely. Yet, I still think some of my stories need to be told!

I read about how some authors utilize the services of ghostwriters, which is something that I am considering. Has anyone used something like this? And do you have any suggestions on where I can find black ghostwriters?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i've never thought of it this way , not really sure but maybe you can surf
    a little and see what the net come up with less somebody know

what i did once for a friend was wrote his story he gave me the layout
    and what he wanted and i just did the writting but never felt like a Ghostwriter
    and i didn't really like doing it , I hope someone else can help and guide you
    but never drop those ideas and scripts don't lose vision to what could be # 1
    seem like you have a message for the people don't shy away from that we need
    to hear u.....GOOD LUCK

3. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Share a few storys with us Karma. You could publish your work as anonymous, but why? You deserve all the credit. :wave:

4. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    While it is good to know our limitations, ghostwriters on the whole have been oppressed by those who have stolen intellectual property from them, taking credit. Never look a gift horse in the mouth... In other words, using your innate talent, wrap and deliver your gift yourself; no one does it better. Good luck.

5. D Woods

D Woods New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    One of the most famous stories of modern times was completed with the assistance of a ghostwriter. That story was Finding Fish by Antoine Fisher and it became a movie - The Antoine Fisher Story. The ghostwriter was Mim Eichler Rivas. Mr. Fisher's story has a lot to do with being in the right place in the right time (in Hollywood I might add) with a story that tugs at the heart strings. Most of us average Joes and Joannes, however, aren't that lucky or blessed.

I, too, have a story that needs to be told. Call it a cross up of Antoine Fisher, Tyler Perry, and James Earl Hardy with a bit of John Singleton (Boyz In The 'Hood) thrown in for good measure. The story is fiction based on things I've either been through or was told about by other people. It displays the amazing similarities we have as human beings, and it also shows that peoples' perceptions of others often doesn't match reality because the reality of what we have to face in ourselves can be painful.

I've run the synopsis of the story past a few people with raving reviews. I had to stop working on it for a while because I got burned out and I needed time for those ideas to gel. A year later, I'm back on the bandwagon. I've got a lot of ideas about how I want various parts of the story to flow and I'm just now getting some of them in black-and-white. For example, there's about twenty pages of text about the main character's youth and now I'm working on the his stint in college. I have a previously published short story that will serve as the high school years since the writing is still pretty fresh after twenty years. When you have a good synopsis, you can hop around like this and maintain the integrity of your writing because you have a basis to work from.

Before you go looking for a ghostwriter, sit down and outline your ideas. Build a synopsis that captures the essence of your major plot points. You need to make sure that your synopsis can capture a reader with its introduction (a hook). You must have a solid set of characters, and you must be able to build a story (PLOT) that emphasizes the dynamic tension between and among the characters. To me, setting is of secondary importance to the plot because if your plot doesn't move and your characters have no dynamic tension or interaction that makes them interesting, you basically have no story. And nobody will care about where it takes place.

Your synopsis must build to a climax and you need to bring the whole matter to a tidy conclusion where there is a shift from one state of being, thinking, living to a different state. In other words, somebody needs to realize something by the end of the story.

Modern examples of this would be Diary of a Mad Black Woman (movie) and Antoine Fisher (book and movie). As an exercise, try reading something or watching a movie and then write a summary of it. Let somebody read it. If you can do that successfully, try doing a synopsis of one of your story ideas and let somebody read it. If they read and tell you that they want to read more, you might be on to something.

I don't know much about ghostwriters, but I can say that you've got to give them something solid to work with. Two things you definitely need: time and a modicum of self-esteem. There are so many time that I thought that I couldn't possibly do it. I was boosted by the highly positive feedback I got. One person told me that if I do it right, I have a fantastic work on my hands - a goldmine. But if I don't get those ideas down in written, organized form, they're NO GOOD.

So START WRITING already!

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I guess i never looked at it from a ghostwriter view
    but more from a free lance writer view..................

Users found this page by searching for:

1. African American ghost writer