Black History Culture : Black Future Month

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by IFE, Feb 8, 2016.

1. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Black Future Month: Why We Choose to Look Ahead | Her ...

Black Future Month: Why We Choose to Look Ahead

Black Future Month, a term coined by the new black vanguard, seeks to build upon the robust legacy of our foreparents while refusing to nostalgically rest upon their laurels. Black Future Month affirms our collective history of struggle, resilience, and achievement, while centering our present predicament in all its urgency.

With all of the contributions of black people throughout our nation’s history, not to mention having a black man in the highest seat of decision-making authority in this land, many people believe that we live in a post-racial society, or a society where race is no longer a factor in determining our access to opportunities. Some have even questioned the continual need for Black History month.

But then, three years ago today, Trayvon Martin was shot and killed. His death stirred something in America’s consciousness and challenged the myth about living in a post-racial nation. And when Jordan Davis, another unarmed black teenager died several months later, the questions rose again. Unfortunately, over the last few years, we have seen more of the same—countless black men, women, and children killed due to police brutality or over-zealous citizenry taking the law into their own hands. 2014 was replete with them—Eric Garner, Dontre Hamilton, John Crawford, Mike Brown, and Tamir Rice.

2. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    image.png

Dear friend,

Black Future Month is new way to look at the Black History Month tradition. At World Trust, we acknowledge that history is an ever-present component of the system of inequity that African Americans and all people of color face. Black Future Month is about honoring history while building on the momentum of 2014 and moving towards true racial justice in our lifetime.

In honor of Black Future Month we invite you to stream our ground-breaking film
    Cracking the Codes and use it to have a conversation that matters.

• Rent online for $4.99
    • Insight into the role of History in perpetuating inequality
    • Understand Racial Inequity through a systemic frame and powerful story-telling
    • Individuals can stream right from our website - great for students, colleagues, family
    • Considering buying the DVD for your institution
    STREAM CRACKING THE CODES FOR $4.99 TODAY
    Celebrate Black Future Month with me and start your conversation today.

3. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    BLACK FUTURE MONTH 3016: 4TH ANNUAL AFROFUTURISM ART EXHIBITION

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Presently in its fourth year, the Black Future Month 3016 Art Exhibition is the longest consecutive annual Black art exhibit in Toronto. The overarching theme of the fourth Annual Afrofuturism Art Exhibition is exploring the infinite ways of beings in the far-off distant future as envisioned by Black people over the spectrum of a 1000 years from now.

Black Future Month 3016: 4th Annual Afrofuturism Art Exhibition ...
    www2.ocadu.ca/.../black-future-month-3016-4th-annual-afrofuturism-art-exhibition - 40k -

4. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Are we losing our youth away from Black History? Or are they on to something new?

I'm doing a FB page on Black History. After reading about Black Future Month, I decided to combine the two.

Black History Forward includes the Prison Industrial Complex coming from the chain gang during slavery/Jim Crow. Includes Prison Labor.

Not sure where this Black Future Month is going. Will it catch on? On my FB page it was simple enough to combine the two. There's nothing new.

I think what concerns me about this Black Future Month is that those, our youth and others, that support it seem to believe that what's happening today is new.

What do you think about this new movement - Black Future Month.

5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Another reason Black History Forward concerns me is some of our youth are ashamed of Slavery and have found something to replace the raw ugliness of slavery.
    After seeing those online I read as much as I could. It caused me to change the direction of my FB page. This was a different audience.
    When my grandson visited I asked him "what do you know about slavery". He looked away, embarrassed, he even bowed his head. I felt like crying. He's lives in NC.

When I posted this pic on FB. I got 25 likes. The most so far. When I posted more on BHF there were a few likes. Non on BH. image.jpeg

When a posted this pic, nothing. image.jpeg

I want to continue the FB page, but I wonder if they can accept the raw images, stories of slavery, or will they just wait for the next most acceptable nice post.
    I've started posting less regularly. One day I mix BH with BHF. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if the raw pictures, some I've seen on this site today, will have any impact or have our youth decided to not study Slavery.
    My FB page is open to friends, family, their friends and family. Some I know, some I don't. Most I don't know. It's pretty large.