Black People : Black Folks In Brazil all is not rosy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dunwiddat, Jun 27, 2014.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    The World Cup is getting a lot of attention. As I watched the Brazilian team and saw those who are of African ancestry as part of the team, I decided to look further and see what blacks have to deal with in the country. Blacks have maintained their cultural heritage but there is still glaring inequality in the nation.
    BBC NEWS | Americas | Brazil's 'slave' ranch workers
    [​IMG]

Modern Day Slavery in Brazil - Mongabay
    'Blacks for sale' advert sparks outrage in Brazil ...
    Brazilian Student Barred Entry to University for Wearing ...

2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    You're speaking to the choir. :news:

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    neva been rosy....the spainards are more racist than the anglo-saxons....

one love
    khasm

4. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Perhaps someone who aint singing might be interested:lol: Kadijah you are such a crazy girl:eek::lol:

5. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    I also heard that there was racism in Brazil, which is true. However when I went there, I almost didn't want to come back. If it weren't for family here in the US, I may have stayed. Being in a country were I didn't feel like every time I went outdoors, I may not make it back because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or suffering at the hands of the judicial system as a result of standing up against some white person, was a whole new experience for me...and this was before the Trayvon Martin murder. To stand beside the average white person, and know he felt no more privileged, or protected than me on a face to face level was rather pleasant. Again, I'm not saying they don't have their share of racism, but it is more in the form of systematic racism in the upper chains of government, and not in the streets, were you could feel it right in your face like you do here in the U.S. The second thing I noticed, or maybe it was the first thing I noticed, was they didn't assume you were this way or that way because of your skin tone. They treated you based on how you presented yourself. It was a good feeling being treated with respect from every shade of brown you could think of, plus having respect from whites. I almost dreaded having to return here in the racist South, which was still new to me at the time, and seemed to have gotten worst. But they will judge you in Brazil if you go over there acting crazy, or acting like some dog in heat. Other than that, they can't even tell you're from the states until you speak your American accent. The better black Portuguese you speak, the better you adapt.

Now being a native over there is probably different. And a lot of them have probably experienced the racism mentioned in the two articles. But being from the states, with your financial plan already set, and knowing your way around, can make you not want to come back any time soon...how long that feeling would stay is left to be determined. But you don't want to go over there and flash yourself because you're American. As I said, it's best to know your way around first. With all said, I'm not saying this is exactly paradise for everybody or the place to automatically pack up and move too. There is also a lot of poverty over there, and there are some places you may not want to hang out if you don't know what time it is. I suggest you stay away from these places. If you ever experienced real poverty in your childhood, some of these places will remind you of it. Just keeping it real. So I guess anybody who moves to Brazil, will have their own take on it. By the way, I'm not trying to go against what the OP is saying. I just don't want anybody black to feel like they have to be stuck here in this racist U.S. forever, especially if any of the gloom and doom predictions here ever become a reality...for blacks in particular. Then of course there's other places to move to besides Brazil.

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Aw, Dunwiddat! That was between me and you! :blowkiss: