BLACK FOLKS AIN'T THROWIN' UP???

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by sweetbrownsugar, Aug 12, 2004.

1. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I remember going to class (highschool) with this white girl. Who used to always be staring at me! and sizing me up!(Mean Muggin' Me) I was skinny then. But I would be in class having came from lunch and feeling like somebody's LUNCH! At first I thought she was gay or something but it turned out she was BULIMIC! She would always ask me if I exercised or what I did to stay so, skinny. You couldn't even concentrate on your work cause she would be rattling cellophane trying to eat ******** from lunch! Then she would always go 2 the restroom(to throw up). Later on, I worked with a girl who was discharged from the service because she was so, ANOREXIC that her hair was falling out in patches, her bones were brittle, and her stomach would cramp really bad if she SUCKED ON A TIC-TAC! Not too long ago I read an article in a Men's Fitness Magazine that stated this was a "silent" trend among white males also. With all the troubles/labels and ISM'S that come OUR way in life...HERE it seems we get a break. I'm so glad that whether we be VEGETARIANS or EATERS OF THE HOG and other meats? Atleast we got sense enough to EAT!

2. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    You know, I've been working at a hospital for 8 years...I've never seen a black anorexic person.

3. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    And I tell you what Sistah Carrie, you ain't gon' eva see one, especially not me 'cause I loves ta' eat!!!!!!

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I've seen them, unfortunately black anorexic females do exist. However I must so that they usually live in lilly white towns.

5. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Pan,
    I'm sure they do, however even most statitics show that the most you'll see of black women with eating disorders are Bulimics.

6. Justagirl81

Justagirl81 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    You know I really believe that there are black women with eating disorders. Some of us put up a front that we are totally comfortable with our bodies just to mask some deep seated insecurities. That's why those of us that have real body issues get overlooked because there's this misconception that black women as a whole don't have these kind of struggles. I guess I can use myself as an example. I grew in in an all black urban neighborhood where thick was in however when I was a teenager about 16 or so my family moved to the suburbs where I became influenced by my peers. Let's just say that I was 5'6 and could wear clothes made for children when everything was said and done. For the longest time I never would talk about this because as a black woman, I was supposed to be too strong for this kind of nonsense but ladies I guess we all have our demons.

7. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    sweetbrownsugar, it's easy to say things like "black folks have enough sense to eat," but that does those diseases a disservice. Eating disorders are compulsions and addictions, like alcohol and drugs. The afflicted person has urges they can't control to either starve, binge, purge, or a combination. The real question is, why don't black folk seem to have those compulsions at the same rate as white people? I'd love to see a study on that.

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

BLACK FOLKS AIN'T THROWIN' UP???

Oh shnap, this is about eating disorders...

I thought you meant throwing up as in representing.

I was fixing to rejoice on gang violence finally coming to an end in the black community.

"Throw ya set in da air...if ya don't care!"