destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I just closed a thread that had the topic of 'Black Feminists' and it's a good discussion to have, that one was just going all wrong.

I don't really know what a 'Black Feminist' is ... but looking at the the words ... i think i can relate to it in general.

I am feminine, i am Black ... is that all it takes to be considered a Black Feminist? Does it require more?

What about being masculine? If someone refers to a Brother as masculine ... 'Black Masculinists' ... ?? ... what would that mean?

I don't get it.

I think folk are taking words, terms, etc., and making them be what they want, and trying to apply their definition to all (or most).

I don't think we fit easily into boxes like that, no matter how much folk try to put us in them.

Nonetheless ... what makes a woman a Black Feminist ... does it take more than being feminine and Black?

What about Brothers, has a term / box been created yet for them, equal to Black Feminist ... like Black Masculinist?

Thanks in advance Family ... and please ... keep the interactions within the confines of our rules.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

I think historically, Black feminism as a concept became aligned with white feminism--the idea being that Black women were co-opted into a movement which supposedly didn't traditionally apply to us. That may be true to a certain degree. However, what I've noticed is that the term is often incorrectly, strategically, and maliciously applied to Black women who are addressing GENUINE problems within the race community---particularly when Black male flaws are addressed. This is not to say that we are not without flaws that need addressing; however, those who levy those false accusations, or labels (i.e. 'feminist,' 'lesbian,' and so forth), often throw them to keep light off their own agendas and demons and to essentially silence Black women into what they deem a secondary, less threatening role in our families and communities.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back