Black Women : BLACK FEMALES IN RAP MUSIC?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by DA BROTHER LOVE, Jul 11, 2006.

1. DA BROTHER LOVE

DA BROTHER LOVE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    This is a dilemma that has been on my mind for a while now. I wonder if some ladies could help me out....

You're probably already familiar with the constant degrading of women, especially black women, that goes on in rap music.... I myself have been guilty of doing it too... but as a rapper and a black man, I feel like I have a certain responsibility to represent my people in a higher light.

I dont want to be another black face rapper thats pimping his own women to please corporate America...

My question is... how do you feel about rap music these days? When you hear a rapper saying "*****" or "ho" does it offend you?

Also, what could a rapper do to make it better? How would you like to see black women portrayed in rap music?

2. BrownSugaBabe

BrownSugaBabe Member MEMBER

Personal Trainer/ Dancer
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't stand Rap Music these days and I'm still in my early 20's. It doesn't offend me at this point. It makes me more ashamed and frustrated to hear a rapper say b****H this and Ho that because none of these men (I believe) would want their mothers, daughters, or sisters referred to as such.

I would love to see black women and men to be protrayed in some other ways in entertainment. I feel we are stuck in our own stereotypes and its hindering our progress. Not everyone wears bling, dresses like a pimp/***, sells drugs so why can't we show ourselves in our many characteristics and struggles. What upsets me the most, majority of mainstream rap music is promoted to teenagers.

BSB

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    This is a naive question but.....what exactly is "rap" music and what is its purpose? Doesn't all music have a purpose when it's created? Maybe if I knew the answer to that question, I could better respond to your question as to how I would like to see Black women portrayed in that style of music but hoping it will make a real difference.

If the sole purpose of "rap" music is to make money, and we all know that sex sells in almost any industry in America, but particularly in the music industry, then aren't the producers and performers of this type of music doing what gets them to their bottom line--money and more money?

Who is BUYING the music? Are producers buying it? Are rappers buying it? There would be no such thing as "bling" IF no one was buying it, right? How honorable are musicians today who are genuinely true to their craft and won't sell out for the "almighty dollar" if it meant dehumanizing anyone in their community? If any exist, maybe we don't know much about them because they don't get airtime on radio and tv because it doesn't sell or at least not at the rate that maximizes money-making potential.

So regardless of my single opinion as to how I'd like to see Black women portrayed in rap music, how much difference do you think it makes if people continue to buy the music as it's currently produced? Black women know very well how they're being portrayed YET, there are still enough who strive for the opportunity to be in these videos and, unfortunately, they come a dime a dozen. As well, there are many who will still buy the music and do their own little "bump and grind" at the club when the music is played.

So, what I think may be important to know one but me because in the grand scheme of things, the music continues to sell.

Good question though!

4. maatmama

maatmama Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in my 30s and I have listened to hip hop since it first hit the scene. I have always gravitated towards the Public Enemy and Dead Prez type of music. I used to buy and now download alot of music, but I never buy from "artists" that degrade women or our people. More importantly I have a 5 year old son who actively listens to every syllable, and watches to see every song I have playing in our home or car, so I am VERY diligent in keeping the music and lyrics on a level that will only enhance him as a black man. I feel all music carries a vibrational signature, and you can "bump" to a hot Common track just as easily as to some other artist that this society wants our community to "embrace" as entertainment, even if its to our (and our children's) mental, spiritual and emotional detriment. In this age of alternative (internet, xm, sirius, etc...) ways to get your music out to the public (plus the MANY underground artists that self distribute), if we keep supporting the artists that degrade us, we have noone to blame but ourselves when we hear our own sons calling their own mothers and sisters H** and B****, and hear our daughters responding to their calls....

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i'm not a woman but these young ladies should be portrayed
    with there clothing on and not bouncing there behind all over the place screen
    and answering to the B. word RAP today is sad.

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah it's sad but what's even sadder is these country gold teeth wearing,jelly bellyunattractive men with beautiful women on their video's that they know if they were not famous these women wouldn't occupy the space as them!They call the crap they rap about real hip hop?
    That is not hip hop!
    Dougie fresh where ya at?
    Mos def where ya at?
    Talib kweli where ya at?
    Malik yosef holla!
    Gangstar hey baby!:bball:

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    For the young blacks who are actually listening to the music (not to make the assumption that ALL are), then they need to find a better source of music to listen to; 70's like... ones that promote black love.

My father used to be a singer and he promoted black love in his music. Here is a website that talks about my father:

http://www.thesoulofamsterdam.com/toney-fountaine-biography-discography.htm

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    cursed heart i see u really got it for black men
    wow !
    not all them half naked women hot themselves

but over all i feel you and right mostly all of it is about the MONEY!
    how low would one go for the buck as we all know and see watch B.E.T
    MTV and so forth no only are these new age Rappers degrading them but
    they helping degrade themselves for the fast buck and T.V or Video time.

Shame on them all in the Rap blinging world .

9. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    The agenda by some rappers is to appeal to small children by getting acting parts in movies for kids. Ice Cube would be a good example of this. I was enjoying a good movie. Kicked back with something cold to drink. Half way through the movie, my 18 year old came in and said you know who that is don't cha? And I said no, who is he...she said Ice Cube. At that moment, I became furious and stopped the movie. I had never seen Ice Cube before, but I had heard that he was one of the foulest mouthed rappers out there. I explained to my daughter that though the movie was funny, I could not endorse it because of Ice Cube's agenda. I explain to her that many children seeing this movie will love it. Once they find out that he is a recording artist they will want to listen to his music as well. He wants to appear to unknowing parents as someone who is decent with good morales, but read the lyrics to one of his latest songs on his latest CD and you will see a totally different reflection. Smoke Mo Weed This piece encourages the smoking of marijuana. You might want to read this, but I warn you it is pretty darn nasty. I could not get past the second verse. So very pitiful indeed where our most of black people have fallen in this industry. Drug possession is the leading cause of imprisonment of our young black men. It stands to reason that he should play the REAL role of "good guy" and discourage young from smoking weed. Most rappers are such hypocrites and this is terribly sad seeing that they posses such great power...for change.