Black Positive People : black Farmers

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by Corvo, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I've been looking into farming, we have bought some land and are looking to be more independent. while searching for information I found this site. I thought you guys might be interested in reading.

http://blackfarms.wordpress.com/money-for-escaping/

I'll be posting some more information on farming and becoming more independent on this tread as I find relative things of importance.

AXE

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Good stuff Corvo, yes sir, back to our Agrarian nature.

Peace In,

3. blackisbeautiful

blackisbeautiful Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +77
    Excellent work. We need to have food sources that are independent from the white man's system.

Imagine if there were a war and all the grocery stores were depleted. The only people that would survive are those that figured out how to grow their own food.

There really should be books on this subject so that those that don't know how to farm can get started on it.

4. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771
  5. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771

There are many books on farming, including how to farm vegies in your apartment.

6. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
  7. aficionado

aficionado Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Love the article and videos yall. Never saw this coming -- urban movement of plant growers, especially in fruit, herb, and vegetables.

Here is a source on time duration of vegetable germination:
    The following error occurred:

You cannot post links or email addresses until you have 10 posts. This is to prevent SPAM

Some of you may or may know or even care that I'm not Black-American, but I found ever-so fascinating in my Black Lit courses...in the millenia prior to the emancipation of the black people in the states, the 'negro' did just about everything for the typical slave-holding southerner family.

Not in particular order, apologize if I missed a step in the process: Clear the field, next plow, then sow/seed, ...maintain no pests (i.e, animal and insects), wild plants (e.g, weeds), water, ...harvest...clean, cut, cook, serve, wash [the utensils and dishware]...

did lot of carpentry and landscape...child-rearing....property guards...sewed...

It seems the 'negro' did just about anything and everything for the white southerner....the 'negro' was just as skillful and well-off (metaphorically).

8. aficionado

aficionado Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Currently growing some fruit seedlings/plant at home. It resembles more collecting than anything else. The plants are contained in a rectangular 7x22 in. plastic plant pot. Mainly citrus (over 20 species, all grown from seed in a month! Avg hgt 7 inches) and passion fruit. If anyone is interested/inclined, can send them to you for a small cost in March and forward.

Had been inspired by a youtube vid "how to make compost" user: kitchengardeners. Combining mixed ratios of carbon-source and nitrogen-source materials -- e.g., like home-grown clippings of grass with twigs and dried leaves and this ebay seller, his store site on ebay: Polynesian Produce Stand . It goes to show you how diverse our vegetation is (in this case, with respect to fruits).

On the same note, there are many sellers on ebay that sell relatively cheap seeds for various fruits, herbs, and vegetables -- highly recommend you buy from ebay than home depot or lowes (sorry advance to anyone...). For $10, you can buy seeds of tomatoes (beefsteak, cherry, roma, etc), chinese/american parsley, italian/greek oregano, cilantro, cucumber, radish, lettuce, beansprout, peppers ....endless options and varieties.

I personally think this can be the NICHE for small black enterprise. Always a fun and learning activity for children, very worthwhile in my opinion.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Let's not get so educated we forget where our food crops came from...figs, wheat, corn, barley, potatoes, etc...all come from harvesting and planting. We gotta eat to live.

Peace In,

10. Kyooms

Kyooms Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for posting!

Here's some information I had found a while back about a new means of farming in the city, I think it's very innovative and can be very useful and feasible for many of us who live in urban areas
    http://www.cityfarmer.info/2011/08/...e-in-freight-containers-as-urban-farms-bloom/

I'd really encourage researching more into this type of farming as well, it's very relative in terms of where the future is going and the containers of course would be cheaper and are of course stack-able for saving space :)