Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
In the south it is tradition to have black-eyes peas as part of your New Year's Day meal. Word is you'll have good luck throughout the year.

I heard on television last night that this tradition was started because after the civil war, black-eyed peas were one of the only foods left standing (available).

Do you do the black-eyed peas on New Year's day thing? Is it tradition in your house/family?

Destee

destee yes yes yes !!

momma alwayz told me dis and truely my house it's a must
my family live up to this traiditional fact......i'm a witness too
it all coz of da blessing we have throughout da year..........

gurl i had me three helppins of dem black eye peas
**** they was goodddddddd too!!

Honey can i have some more !???
well she won't let me eat da whole pot
shoots!!!

A FAMILY THANG:heart: :kiss: :)

Destee....

RICH! aiight now... u gone be one bloated and gaseous brotha! :lol:

I must admit I did the blackeyed pea thing growing up with my parents... i now know that paying my bills timely and staying in prayer will help me stay blessed and prosperous. :D

Anyway... u ever heard these

1) Don't fry chicken on 1/1 ~ your money will fly away

2) My Gramma says don't clip your nails the 1st week on the New Year ~ u will see blood the next day. this actually happened to her

3)Don't wash clothes the 1st friday of the new year ~ why? i dunno. But i've been warned.

I have to admit that I wasn't aware of this 'tradition' growing up and probably because I was a finicky eater and don't like Black-eyed peas anyway. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized what people were talking about.

But anyway, I'm curious though as to where these African-American traditions stem from. Are they old African traditions modified?

Peace.

i'm not sure where and when nor who started it and the backing of it but i was raised under this traditional saying and to this day
i still hold up to it and teach my children the same as i was from my parents and grandparents it's far as i know a deep south tradition....from as far as the earily 1800's i have no true facts on that no more the i was told ....

leggs.......
1. don't fry chicken on the first day to me was just a saying
where i have seen ppl do so and still be as blessed

2..this one i too heard but from out the family not sure how
true it is but it really sound scary and hurtful like devil work

3....don't wash clothes on the first friday of the new year is
one of the old sayings also from the deep dirty south

what was told to me was the meanings is u will wash
someone life away ! i can't back that saying up but i never
wash clothing i too been warned it continues to be passed down
now my children know as so will theirs in time i was told it was
started back in the late 1800's or earily 1900's as this saying spreaded world wide not sure of it and not ready to fine out .

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back